Trading Adam Jones

Scrat1

Why even talk about trading the team's best all-around player? Jones is who you build around, not trade for more worthless prospects.

Wasn't Jones once one of those "worthless prospects" that we traded for? I understand your point, and it's probably coming from the sad frustration that we all feel with this franchise, but we are simply trying to determine the validity and possibility of such a thing.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's likely that there will be offers out there for Adam Jones that should entice AM, although --like many of you-- I'd be very surprised if Jones were traded.

Is it reasonable --under the anticipated expectations-- that AM would deal Jones to Atlanta 'straight up' for the #4-ranked prospect in baseball, Julio Teheran (RHSP)? Would you do it?

Would you prefer a deal to the Giants, where we send Jones and receive Brandon Belt (1B/LF--AAA) and Zack Wheeler (RHSP--HiA)?

Or what about the possibility of Jones to the Rangers? To preserve Hamilton's health, they may just permanently slide him to LF and seek a stud CF'er like Jones. While this option is the least likely, the Rangers are loaded.

I don't see either of those deals happening, but I'd pull the trigger on each without hesitation.

I'd be ecstatic to get Belt and Wheeler for Jones. I have doubts that the Giants would give up both (their biggest need right now is SS, I think Hardy for Wheeler is doable) maybe one and a lesser prospect. If AM would demand more for Jones and didn't do that deal unless he got it, then he's nuts.

I actually have spoken to evaluators in the Giants org and there is no way Baltimore is getting Wheeler for a half season of Hardy. They love the kid, and rightfully so.

I actually have spoken to evaluators in the Giants org and there is no way Baltimore is getting Wheeler for a half season of Hardy. They love the kid, and rightfully so.

The sad thing is Wheeler should already be in the organization. Any other reasonable destinations for Jones and would you expect someone to jump up and over pay for him?

I don't see either of those deals happening, but I'd pull the trigger on each without hesitation.

Would you trade him straight up for Vizcaino or Delgado? If not, how much would the Braves need to throw in for you to pull the trigger? One of those pitchers + Todd Cunningham? I think I'd do that deal.

It's likely that there will be offers out there for Adam Jones that should entice AM, although --like many of you-- I'd be very surprised if Jones were traded.

Is it reasonable --under the anticipated expectations-- that AM would deal Jones to Atlanta 'straight up' for the #4-ranked prospect in baseball, Julio Teheran (RHSP)? Would you do it?

Would you prefer a deal to the Giants, where we send Jones and receive Brandon Belt (1B/LF--AAA) and Zack Wheeler (RHSP--HiA)?

Or what about the possibility of Jones to the Rangers? To preserve Hamilton's health, they may just permanently slide him to LF and seek a stud CF'er like Jones. While this option is the least likely, the Rangers are loaded.

The problem is that I doubt any of these would be possible. Atlanta has beem great at getting talent and I doubt they trade a Teheran-caliber prospect for jones unless they think he makes them a World series team.

The problem is that I doubt any of these would be possible. Atlanta has beem great at getting talent and I doubt they trade a Teheran-caliber prospect for jones unless they think he makes them a World series team.

I think Jones would be a great fit in Atlanta, where he would add a shot of youth as well a solid right-handed bat into a fairly lefty swinging team.

I agree... just laying out the sort of deals I believe AM would need to make trading Jones happen.

I agree Greg. I don't think there's any way AM makes a 1-for-1 deal invloving Jones. It'll have to involve more talent IMO, which kinda falls in line with what he's done in the past.

Bump.

After thinking about the Jones situation some more, I'm even more inclined to trade him. As MLBtraderumors points out, the market for free agent center fielders is pretty solid this upcoming offseason. Jones' 2011 salary, entering his first year of arbitration, is $3.25 and will obviously increase from there. If we signed Coco Crisp for 2/10, which is probably more than it would take, he would likely provide similar production (with most of it coming from the glove rather than the bat) for a similar cost. According to fWAR, they've been been worth roughly the same over the past four years. Obviously Jones still has some more upside, and if I were betting, I'd have him out-producing Crisp over the next two years, but not so drastically to justify keeping him. The opportunity cost is too great. I think he's far more valuable to the Orioles as a trade chip.

I'd much rather have Vizcaino/Delgado+ and Coco Crisp over the next two years than just Adam Jones.

ESPN is rumoring Beltran to SF for Wheeler.

If they'd take that deal, why wouldn't they take Jones and have him for multiple years?

If they make that deal they're crazy. I'd rather have Hardy than Beltran, if I were them. I don't think that hppens.

ESPN is rumoring Beltran to SF for Wheeler.

If they'd take that deal, why wouldn't they take Jones and have him for multiple years?

This is what Dierkes had to say about this on live chat...

Comment From Matt

Rumors are Tigers and Giants are in on Beltran. Could they get a Wheeler/ Turner guy

2:26

No on the prospect question - not even close. But I also want to point out that the Tigers rumor is pretty flimsy. This market, at least what's been revealed of it, still needs to take shape.

Archived