Trading Adam Jones

Scrat1

I didn't see anyone else mention this in the thread, but didn't MacPhail specifically mention on a broadcast a few weeks ago that Adam Jones is a player he would be very unlikely to trade?

I remember Thorne asking him a question about the trading deadline, and his reply was something along these lines: "Well we certainly will be looking at some things in terms of trades. They always say there's no such thing as an untouchable player, and that's true to a certain extent, but there are some players it's hard to imagine trading. For example, it would probably take a lot to make us start thinking about trading someone like Adam Jones."

Does anyone else remember this conversation?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My guess is that Jones is rated highly enough by other GMs that someone would be willing to overpay for him - but I'd think that it would have to happen no later than this offseason in order to maximize his value. If you can get someone to overpay for him then I don't see how you don't trade him.

Having said that I'll be amazed if he gets traded.

This is one of the best posts in this thread.

I truly think that if the Orioles shopped Jones that there is no way they don't get an offer that would be worthy of dealing him.

I didn't see anyone else mention this in the thread, but didn't MacPhail specifically mention on a broadcast a few weeks ago that Adam Jones is a player he would be very unlikely to trade?

I remember Thorne asking him a question about the trading deadline, and his reply was something along these lines: "Well we certainly will be looking at some things in terms of trades. They always say there's no such thing as an untouchable player, and that's true to a certain extent, but there are some players it's hard to imagine trading. For example, it would probably take a lot to make us start thinking about trading someone like Adam Jones."

Does anyone else remember this conversation?

Yes he said something along those lines. He could be posturing but I doubt it. That is why this organization is in the place it is. Short sighted thinking.... They think if you trade Jones you lose a popular player which decreases attendance and revenue and the product dips below mediocre where they are perfectly happy being.

Yes he said something along those lines. He could be posturing but I doubt it. That is why this organization is in the place it is. Short sighted thinking.... They think if you trade Jones you lose a popular player which decreases attendance and revenue and the product dips below mediocre where they are perfectly happy being.
I think it's posturing. If he gets offered 2 good young SP he should trade him.

I think it's posturing. If he gets offered 2 good young SP he should trade him.

I think AM is probably a slave to having Jones as part of the team. He was the big piece in the Bedard trade, and I have no doubt AM likes having him as part of the future so he can point to him as a successful move.

I think AM is probably a slave to having Jones as part of the team. He was the big piece in the Bedard trade, and I have no doubt AM likes having him as part of the future so he can point to him as a successful move.

The idea of trading Jones isn't even remotely on the mind of AM.

Now, perhaps that could change in the offseason if he is still here and tries to extend Jones, only for him to say thanks but no thanks but right now, no way is it on his mind.

You really believe he is that self involved? He doesn't strike me that way, but maybe you know him better. I truly think if he were made the right offer he'd trade anyone. Who would you want for Jones as a threshold of value for him? Perhaps your threshold would be lower than AM's.

You really believe he is that self involved? He doesn't strike me that way, but maybe you know him better. I truly think if he were made the right offer he'd trade anyone. Who would you want for Jones as a threshold of value for him? Perhaps your threshold would be lower than AM's.

The problem is, when that offer needs to be so ridiculously one sided, its not really realistic to discuss.

The problem is, when that offer needs to be so ridiculously one sided, its not really realistic to discuss.
Be specific. What is an example of an offer you would accept an what is and example of an offer that AM would demand, so I can see the difference you are talking about?

Be specific. What is an example of an offer you would accept an what is and example of an offer that AM would demand, so I can see the difference you are talking about?

In another thread, Greg mentioned Belt and Wheeler from the Giants...That's the type of deal(not saying that exact deal specifically) that I would be looking for and one that I think would be out there. I think AM would need at least one other very good prospect and perhaps, a low level guy with upside.

He likes quantity trades and I think he only trades Jones if he is really ripping off the other team in his eyes and for that to happen, he would need 4 or 5 players coming his way, including at least 2 top guys.

You keep saying this but you have absolutely no substance to back this up. I've posted in other threads the lists of trades he's made, and you don't counterpoint them.

I think it's just a case of you ignoring people who against your little world, unfortunately.

In another thread, Greg mentioned Belt and Wheeler from the Giants...That's the type of deal(not saying that exact deal specifically) that I would be looking for and one that I think would be out there. I think AM would need at least one other very good prospect and perhaps, a low level guy with upside.

He likes quantity trades and I think he only trades Jones if he is really ripping off the other team in his eyes and for that to happen, he would need 4 or 5 players coming his way, including at least 2 top guys.

I'd be ecstatic to get Belt and Wheeler for Jones. I have doubts that the Giants would give up both (their biggest need right now is SS, I think Hardy for Wheeler is doable) maybe one and a lesser prospect. If AM would demand more for Jones and didn't do that deal unless he got it, then he's nuts.

I'd be ecstatic to get Belt and Wheeler for Jones. I have doubts that the Giants would give up both (their biggest need right now is SS, I think Hardy for Wheeler is doable) maybe one and a lesser prospect. If AM would demand more for Jones and didn't do that deal unless he got it, then he's nuts.

I agree with you here.

I just think along the lines of Stotle here...That Jones is someone AM sees as a centerpiece and one that he acquired. He tried to extend him in the offseason and, IMO, will keep trying. He likes to keep his own and has proven that in his GM career.

To get Jones, you are going to have to offer a stupid package or he isn't even considering it IMO...Hey, I hope I am wrong because a Belt/Wheeler deal will be out there IMO and, as you said, you have to jump on that deal. I just don't think AM would.

It's likely that there will be offers out there for Adam Jones that should entice AM, although --like many of you-- I'd be very surprised if Jones were traded.

Is it reasonable --under the anticipated expectations-- that AM would deal Jones to Atlanta 'straight up' for the #4-ranked prospect in baseball, Julio Teheran (RHSP)? Would you do it?

Would you prefer a deal to the Giants, where we send Jones and receive Brandon Belt (1B/LF--AAA) and Zack Wheeler (RHSP--HiA)?

Or what about the possibility of Jones to the Rangers? To preserve Hamilton's health, they may just permanently slide him to LF and seek a stud CF'er like Jones. While this option is the least likely, the Rangers are loaded.

Archived