Would you make this trade with Cinci?

Sports Guy

Would you make that deal with the Reds?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Would you make that deal with the Reds?

I think some people are too down on Alonso.

I'm one of them. I'm not entirely convinced. I don't like the body type.

To be clear, I would be fine with dealing Guthrie for Alonso & Cozart. I would much prefer to keep Hardy.

Exactly. The extra time at AAA will help, not hurt him IMO.

Palmeiro wasn't exactly a power hitter when he came up with the Cubs.

Uhhhhh.... STEROIDS!??!?!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, Alonso and Boxberger were drafted 7th and 43rd overall, and both are knocking on the doors of the big leagues, so you'd have to give them the nod.

Also, Guthrie is currently a type-B and closer to being unranked than he is to being a type-A, so we're really just talking one sandwich pick for him.

And there is no guarantee that Guthrie will end up netting us a pick or 2.

Even Hardy, while likely a type A guy, could end up netting us nothing because he could be injured.

That's just part of the risk in keeping both of these guys.

Could some one post a legit, trustworthy scouting report on Yonder? Couldn't find a good one.

http://baseballbeginnings.com/2010/01/10/yonder-alonso-report

That's from 1.5 years ago. John is a solid evaluator. I agree with much of what he says.

Those tools translate roughly to a .290/.360/.470 hitter. Slow, with average defensive actions at first. Pretty close to what you saw from him last year in the International League.

Interesting considering the packages some people were willing to give up to get this guy over the summer.

That's from 1.5 years ago. John is a solid evaluator. I agree with much of what he says.

Those tools translate roughly to a .290/.360/.470 hitter. Slow, with average defensive actions at first. Pretty close to what you saw from him last year in the International League.

Interesting considering the packages some people were willing to give up to get this guy over the summer.

Do you like Butler as a comp for Alonso?

Do you like Butler as a comp for Alonso?

I don't like comps in general. But if you look at Butler's career line, I think it's similar to Alonso's upside, plus a little more pop. However, Butler was in the big leagues by 21 and broke an .850 OPS by 23. So their development patterns are different.

But if you want to talk in generalities and describe them both as slow, mediocre defensive first basemen with plus hit and patience, but a little less pop than you'd expect from a good CI, that's fine with me.

Thanks, RVA.

One question: Doesn't a 75 grade for his hit tool seem a bit...high?

Alonso should also be a solid BA/OBP guy as well.

The slash line that RVA said would be good and if he can do that, he will be a very solid player, especially in today's hitting environment.

According to the 2010 Prospect Handbook(by BA), they said that Alonso had struggled to hit lefties in college and early on in pro ball...This year, he is doing very well..Not sure what he did last year.

But that could be the biggest issue against him.

Thanks, RVA.

One question: Doesn't a 75 grade for his hit tool seem a bit...high?

Yes. It's plus-plus, or roughly a regular .320+ hitter. I think it's high, but either way the chances of a 23 year old bumping up any tool by two full grades are slim.

I'd grade Alonso's future hit as a 60/65, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him posting a BA north of .300

Yes. It's plus-plus, or roughly a regular .320+ hitter. I think it's high, but either way the chances of a 23 year old bumping up any tool by two full grades are slim.

I'd grade Alonso's future hit as a 60/65, but it wouldn't surprise me to see him posting a BA north of .300

Ah, I figured. That makes sense.

Ah, I figured. That makes sense.

Honestly, that might have been a typo on John's part. You don't usually see 2 grade future jumps outside of projectable high school kids. You really don't see them from 23 year olds at AAA. 65 seems right.

Honestly, that might have been a typo on John's part. You don't usually see 2 grade future jumps outside of projectable high school kids. You really don't see them from 23 year olds at AAA. 65 seems right.

Didn't really make sense in the context of what he was saying either. You're probably right.

Been go back and forth and now, slightly more say no.

I guess this is a fair offer with the results of the poll being what they are?

I agree with this. It really depends on what Cinci thinks this can do for them this year. This is the kind of talent age the O's are really lacking in. If Cinci were interested in something like this I feel like the O's might be able to squeeze out even a little bit more because of the potential picks they could get. Guthrie in the NL could really boost his FA value if he pitches well, especially on a competitive team.

I agree with this. It really depends on what Cinci thinks this can do for them this year. This is the kind of talent age the O's are really lacking in. If Cinci were interested in something like this I feel like the O's might be able to squeeze out even a little bit more because of the potential picks they could get. Guthrie in the NL could really boost his FA value if he pitches well, especially on a competitive team.

Well, to me the question is, can you squeeze out a guy like Frazier in this deal and they keep the lower level prospect?

I am not sure Cinci would go for that or not but, as you said, it goes back to how they feel about their chances this year if they added these 2.

Archived