We need Prince Fielder as much as any team needs a single player!

GoldGlove21

Everyone on this board would love to see Prince Fielder as an Oriole. Cost is the only issue. I'd spend the money precisely because we do have the DH as a fallback option, and also because I'm sick of seeing us wasting money on middle of the road or worse type players.

I also don't see us spending the $$ or prospects on a top flight pitcher. In fact, looking at the list of FA pitchers, I don't even know who we'd possibly go after. Anyone entertaining the thought of outbidding the Yankees for Sabathia is delusional.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2001/04/potential-free-agents-for-2012.html

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this team isn't even going to end up being near .500, what in the world makes people think that Fielder is the difference? We're at least two more bats, two more legitimate major league pitchers, two more bullpen arms, and one speedy guy for stolen bases and the like to be even a relative contender. Fielder plugs one of those holes.... at a very high cost.

So unless we can get Fielder at some kind of decent price, it would be foolish (yes, FOOLISH) to saddle the organization for years upon years for a guy who will be good for a couple of years only.... a couple of years where the Orioles won't be worth a crap.

And he's another really fat guy.

Was kind of my point...If your gonna spend 25 million a year for a fat guy, it might as well be a top of the rotation starter. I think C.J. Wilson would be a good target. Hasn't logged a lot of innings for a 30/31 year old pitcher. Has pretty good career numbers vs. BOS & NYY as well.

Was kind of my point...If your gonna spend 25 million a year for a fat guy, it might as well be a top of the rotation starter. I think C.J. Wilson would be a good target. Hasn't logged a lot of innings for a 30/31 year old pitcher. Has pretty good career numbers vs. BOS & NYY as well.

Well put... and I think CJ Wilson would be a solid target to go after. No, he isn't an elite pitcher. But he could be a solid 3, 4, or 5 guy for us to fill one of the back end slots. Then if we get Alonso in a deal (probably won't happen... but it should) we have our hole at 1B plugged.

Agree.

He'll be in high demand most likely and MacPhail is diametrically opposed to pricey starting pitching.

Well put... and I think CJ Wilson would be a solid target to go after. No, he isn't an elite pitcher. But he could be a solid 3, 4, or 5 guy for us to fill one of the back end slots. Then if we get Alonso in a deal (probably won't happen... but it should) we have our hole at 1B plugged.

If you can get a 1B in a Guthrie deal that everyone seems to be advocating, then do it. Replace Guthrie with Wilson this offseason. Seems simple enough...

Giving the the 28 year old Fielder a 6 year deal to play everyday is not the same as giving the 32 year old Sabathia $23M-$25M a year over a 4 or 5 year deal. The Yankees gave him a 7/$161M contract which means for Sabathia to opt out he would need at least a 4/$92M deal just to break even! He would not opt out unless he was seeking an additional year or most likely two added at an additional $1M-$2M per. His next contract might be 5/$120M or 6/$144M. The Orioles should be nowhere near a guy that could be making $24M at ages 35, 36, and 37. Not the same situation as Fielder, but yes, Sabathia is heavy as well.

No, we are one bat and guys like Wieters, Markakis, Jones, Reynolds and Hardy playing up to their abilities. Thinking that Fielder will not be really good from 28-32 and probably above average the two years after that is short-sighted IMO.

We do not need a first baseman, we have one of those every year. They just aren't very good, I like Alonso, but he is not a middle of the order bat IMO. If someone wants to plug 15 homeruns into the number 3 slot then we could just move Markakis from second to third in the lineup.

If you are going to spend $25M on a fat guy it shouldn't be someone who is more likely to decline moving forward (Age 32 in July of next year) instead of someone who will be in their prime for at least half of their contract and above average for two more years.

We do not need a first baseman, we have one of those every year. They just aren't very good, I like Alonso, but he is not a middle of the order bat IMO. If someone wants to plug 15 homeruns into the number 3 slot then we could just move Markakis from second to third in the lineup.

I'm not saying that Fielder wouldn't help the lineup.

I'm saying we will not compete unless our starting rotation does a 180, which is unlikely but possible given the youth. I'm not very encouraged based on what I've seen through half of this year. They are the biggest reason this team isn't any good.

Even if Sabathia opts out wouldn't the Yankees still be allowed to offer him a contract and net picks? So now it is now one of our picks and $25M per year over a 5 year deal for a guy who will be 32-37 while performing his duties. I like Sabathia and if he was 28 I might say do it, but not at 32 on a 5-year deal.

The best teams seem to rank in the top 5 in both hitting and pitching so balance looks to be the key. Fielder likely puts Baltimore into the top-5 in hitting. We just need to get better pitching, but they are two different moving parts IMO. We need starters too, but there isn't a legit ace available outside of Sabathia and he is going to sign with New York again IMO.

Archived