Orioles Hangout Top Prospects: Who's #11?

ScottieBaseball

Orioles Hangout Top Prospects: Who's #11?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Orioles Hangout Top Prospects: Who's #11?

This poll is closed to new votes

It's that time of year, folks! Through talks with various scouts in and outside the Orioles organization, minor league operations executives, minor league coaches and managers, and the players themselves the Orioles Hangout staff has come up with the top 30 prospects in the organization.

Over the next few weeks we'll be releasing the remainder of our Top 30 Orioles Organizational Prospects List.

Here's the list so far:

1. Matt Wieters - C

2. Billy Rowell - 3B

3. Chorye Spoone - RHP

4. Nolan Reimold - OF

5. Brandon Erbe - RHP

6. Radhames Liz - RHP

7. Brandon Snyder - 1B/3B

8. Garrett Olson - LHP

9. Pedro Beato - RHP

10. Zach Britton - LHP

11. ?????

Chime in with who you think is going to be #11 on the list in our poll.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What i've read it seems that Hernandez has the higher ceiling at this time. However, Arrieta is impressing one inning at a time with advanced MiL hitters. But, again, Hernandez had quite an impressive full season in High A. So, I'm going with David - but I think that Jake is a close and these guys are 11 and 12 and will be in the top ten next year.

What i've read it seems that Hernandez has the higher ceiling at this time. However, Arrieta is impressing one inning at a time with advanced MiL hitters. But, again, Hernandez had quite an impressive full season in High A. So, I'm going with David - but I think that Jake is a close and these guys are 11 and 12 and will be in the top ten next year.

Hernandez had a somewhat decent season. However I think he is vastly overrated on here. I mean he did put up a 4.95 ERA in A ball at 22 years old.

Hernandez had a somewhat decent season. However I think he is vastly overrated on here. I mean he did put up a 4.95 ERA in A ball at 22 years old.

He's a little old for the league but ERA is almost completely meaningless RE: evaluation of prospects in minor leagues

He's a little old for the league but ERA is almost completely meaningless RE: evaluation of prospects in minor leagues

His prospect status has been increased because of a couple of good starts, the bottomline is he is an average pitcher who throws hard. So far he has shown nothing to suggest he is any thing more than just average.

Gotta be Arrieta.

I wanted to say Arietta based on talent. Personally, I think he should have been considered for the top ten. Regardless, I think that the OH went with Hernandez at eleven. We'll see Arietta farther down because he didn't play this season, and by the time these rankings were made, not sure how much professional ball Arietta had played this fall. If any.

His prospect status has been increased because of a couple of good starts, the bottomline is he is an average pitcher who throws hard. So far he has shown nothing to suggest he is any thing more than just average.

It's not just the good starts, it's the changes he made that resulted in the good starts. Prior to his 18 strikeout performance, he didn't throw his changeup to right-handed hitters. He mixed it in on a whim in the first inning of that game and had hitters guessing for nine innings. He had crazy-good command on his fastball that night, so that was a big help. I was skeptical, too, but I went back for his next start. He lacked the same masterful command, but he still netted 6 K's while giving up 3 hits and a walk in 7 IP.

I hate to put pressure on him and pass judgement based on such a small sample size, but I think given the opportunity to work this off-season with the addition to his arsenal might bring my speculation to fruition.

Or I could be completely wrong. :D

I think it was clear when he was drafted that a LOT of people thought David Hernandez would pitch in the major leagues in some capacity. He's more than an "average" pitcher.

Archived