Some Good News

LookinUp

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless Machado hits a serious slump he'll start next season at double-A. Better question: if he continues his hot streak do you promote him to double-A this year so that he can play everyday in the Arizona fall league, rather than being relegated to the taxi squad?

Unless Machado hits a serious slump he'll start next season at double-A. Better question: if he continues his hot streak do you promote him to double-A this year so that he can play everyday in the Arizona fall league, rather than being relegated to the taxi squad?

No....

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vaN01VLYSQ?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vaN01VLYSQ?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

It's more like this:

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/51bX9E9eX6M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

No....
Right...There is no way I promote him this year unless its right at the end of the year and Bowie is eligible for the playoffs and they need another player but I doubt that scenario pops up.

My question about Machado goes longer term.

Let's say that next year it is determined that he has to move to third...Let's say that the transition is smooth and he is hitting very well in AA. What do you do at that point? Do you just promote him to AAA and wait on the service time or do you get him up sooner?

Right...There is no way I promote him this year unless its right at the end of the year and Bowie is eligible for the playoffs and they need another player but I doubt that scenario pops up.

My question about Machado goes longer term.

Let's say that next year it is determined that he has to move to third...Let's say that the transition is smooth and he is hitting very well in AA. What do you do at that point? Do you just promote him to AAA and wait on the service time or do you get him up sooner?

If we are in contention (which we wont be) you bring him up. If not then you save service time.

There are a lot of variables in your hypothetical but I think you have it wrong in terms of timing. I doubt that Machado gets moved to 3rd and then hits well and is possibly called up. More likely, he stays at SS, hits well, and it is then determined that the most likely scenario is to get him to the majors by moving him to 3B. More realistically, Machado plays all of next year in the minors and stays at SS. What to do with Hardy, Reynolds, and Machado for the 2013 season will determined at that point. That assumes that Hardy and Reynolds are still on the team. I don't hear or read too many whispers about Machado needing to move to 3B anytime soon.
The only reason I brought up the third base scenario is that I don't see them moving Hardy yet but could see them moving Reynolds.

I also question his ability to stay at SS long term. If his range is average right now, what will it be as he gets bigger?

Of course, he could also be Ripken.

First of all, I'm not sure if it's agreed on that his range is "average" right now. I kinow there are people on the board who question his ability to stay at SS but I don't read it in other places. Obviously, if he gets much bigger it will affect him somewhat. Guess we'll see but at this point I think a move is highly unlikely. Like I said, maybe because of team needs at the end of next year, it might be looked at.
But getting past a potential position change....Would you want him brought up next year, even if he is needed(forget the idea of contention for the sake of argument) and he is performing or would you prefer to wait until 20 days into the following season for service time issues?(if this stuff is even in effect anymore after the new cba)

I prefer to let his play in the minors dictate when he gets called up. If he's dominating like he was starting to do in Delmarva, before he hurt his knee, then I think you keep promoting him. If the next level happens to be the majors then so be it.
I don't really disagree with you but its tough for me to be ok with that when you figure that we are going to be an average at best team next year.

I don't believe it is correct that all A+ players assigned to the AFL are relegated to the taxi squad. I think each team is allowed to assign one A+ player to the regular squad. Loewen and Snyder are two examples of Orioles who were on the full-time squad after playing at Frederick.

I don't believe it is correct that all A+ players assigned to the AFL are relegated to the taxi squad. I think each team is allowed to assign one A+ player to the regular squad. Loewen and Snyder are two examples of Orioles who were on the full-time squad after playing at Frederick.

I am pretty sure the AFL would be thrilled to have Machado playing every day for them.

So, no matter how well Machado does, you hold him back next year and at the beginning of the 2013 season? It's smart to play the service time game but there also comes a time when you look like a Mickey Mouse organization for doing it.
I don't disagree with you at all...But still, this is a Boras client and we all know what that means.

The only reason I brought up the third base scenario is that I don't see them moving Hardy yet but could see them moving Reynolds.

I also question his ability to stay at SS long term. If his range is average right now, what will it be as he gets bigger?

Of course, he could also be Ripken.

Klaw (who was always skeptical about Machado's ability to remain at SS) basically called him A-rod lite on a podcast with Bill Simmon's the other day.

In the same podcast, Klaw said that Machado has made strides defensively this year and projects to stay at SS.

When the time comes for Manny, you move Hardy to a new position or you trade Hardy. You don't herk and jerk around a potential superstar at SS.

Archived