Some Good News

LookinUp

I know. I would still rather not do it. If Machado is good enough to stick at SS then I don't think the gap between him and Hardy two/three years from now will be that great.

Well, if it is true that the defensive gap is not very significant by the time Machado reaches the majors, then I would probably agree with you. That can be determined at the time. I'm just saying that if the gap is appreciable (in Hardy's favor), I wouldn't make Hardy move just because the plan is to have Machado at SS in the future once Hardy is gone.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, if it is true that the defensive gap is not very significant by the time Machado reaches the majors, then I would probably agree with you. That can be determined at the time. I'm just saying that if the gap is appreciable (in Hardy's favor), I wouldn't make Hardy move just because the plan is to have Machado at SS in the future once Hardy is gone.

Is Machado really a guy who profiles as a second baseman? Isn't the thought that if he moves off short it's because he's going to be too big and not quick enough? If anything he'd pull a Cal and play third, not second.

There are only 8 players in history listed at 6' 3" or taller who played > 50% of their career games at second, lead by the super awesome Don Kolloway. The Pirates' Neil Walker is the only regular 2B in the past 35 years who's that tall.

Is Machado really a guy who profiles as a second baseman? Isn't the thought that if he moves off short it's because he's going to be too big and not quick enough?

The premise of the hypothetical here is that Machado is good enough to be a major league starting shortstop, but he's simply not as good defensively as Hardy. Let's recall that Hardy has had several seasons where he was ranked among the very top defensive shortstops in the game. As to Machado's height, how many 6'4" shortstops were there before Cal came along? If you can play SS, it seems to me that you should be able to play 2B competently with a little practice.

With all of that said, this is a very hypothetical conversation we are having.

hoosiers, you do realize you just answered a question with a question, which isn't really an answer.

This is the point I am trying to make. If you "know" he will succeed in DelMarva, then why start him there?

Because you want his first experience to be successful. He's an 18 year old millionaire. A year ago, his mom was making him dinner and telling him to finish his homework. There are a lot of adjustments both on and off the diamond.

And there's zero chance we'll look back on Manny Machado's career and say, "Oh, if we had only started his first full season at high-A."

By the way, I'd agree that chances are very high that starting in Frederick would've been fine too. The specific player aside, I think it's always better to start conservative and move a player up rather than start aggressive and have that possibility of an early plateau or having to move a player down.

A few guys making big bids to show some quality top 10 stuff with one month to go and Hoes is emerging as a leading candidate. He is killing it - for July a .404 obp and with .924 ops. Last 10 games has .487 obp with 1.300 ops and 5 xbh and 6/6 BB/K. This is some spectacular production in a small sample size for Hoes at AA.

Tony asked for some xbh a few weeks ago and it appears Hoes is responding directly to him.

I heard barring any unforeseen poor play or injury set back he will start in Bowie in 2012. Spend the entire season there and move up to AAA in 2013. As we all know plans can change.

Grew up 5 mins from PG Stadium, so it would be great to see Machado in person and enjoy one of the few bright spots in the organization.

Jake Cowan tossed six shutout innings tonight, allowing just two hits and striking out eight. He's been outstanding recently and looks to be mostly back from labrum surgery. He's still recovering, but he could return to the prospect scene, which seemed unlikely when he was first diagnosed.

Archived