No Surprise! Roberts likely done for season

Crazysilver03

I want the best for him as well--that's why I want him to retire.

Thanks for the neg rep though!

I'm getting sick of seeing Cindy neg repping people, just because someone says something against about her Great One. It's a message board, where people give their opinions. Time to stop acting so childish. Maybe I should have posted this in the rants section.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I want the best for him as well--that's why I want him to retire.

Thanks for the neg rep though!

What the heck, Roberto. I don't want you to be alone. I'll take a hit (neg rep) myself. Brian Roberts is a bad player. There. :cool:

I'm getting sick of seeing Cindy neg repping people, just because someone says something against about her Great One. It's a message board, where people give their opinions. Time to stop acting so childish. Maybe I should have posted this in the rants section.

Be careful or you'll be next!

MacPhail should be on the phone with the Mariners trying to obtain Adam Kennedy to play 2B for the Orioles. Maybe they would take Andino even up due to Andino being 8 years younger and making about $340,000 less money per year. Kennedy can play other infield postions and would be a nice fill-in in case Roberts returns next year.

It's a pretty pathetic situation. Dude whacks himself in the head with a bat after striking out and he can't get right a year later...?

I just don't get it...I really don't understand it. I've never had a concussion before, so I can't relate...but every fall I see guys racing around on a football field and knocking the crap out of each other, getting concussions and coming back a few weeks later to resume playing.

I'm not trying to belittle the situation because concussions are serious business. Football players walk away from the game if they have too many...it can easily alter the rest of your life.

But Roberts isn't a football player. He's not a QB standing in the pocket with Julius Peppers coming up from behind him...he's a baseball player who hit himself in the head with a bat after striking out and he's not right a year later. I don't understand how a QB can make it back weeks later but Roberts can't make it back after an entire season and having a lengthy offseason to seek whatever help he needed.

I freely admit I'm not an expert on the subject. I probably don't know what I'm talking about. All I know is I see one group of athletes playing a violent sport and coming back from the same injury much faster than Roberts. It doesn't make 100% sense to me.

It's a pretty pathetic situation. Dude whacks himself in the head with a bat after striking out and he can't get right a year later...?

I just don't get it...I really don't understand it. I've never had a concussion before, so I can't relate...but every fall I see guys racing around on a football field and knocking the crap out of each other, getting concussions and coming back a few weeks later to resume playing.

I'm not trying to belittle the situation because concussions are serious business. Football players walk away from the game if they have too many...it can easily alter the rest of your life.

But Roberts isn't a football player. He's not a QB standing in the pocket with Julius Peppers coming up from behind him...he's a baseball player who hit himself in the head with a bat after striking out and he's not right a year later. I don't understand how a QB can make it back weeks later but Roberts can't make it back after an entire season and having a lengthy offseason to seek whatever help he needed.

I freely admit I'm not an expert on the subject. I probably don't know what I'm talking about. All I know is I see one group of athletes playing a violent sport and coming back from the same injury much faster than Roberts. It doesn't make 100% sense to me.

Well, there's a growing awareness in football today that they have been ignoring concussion symptoms with awful, often fatal, results later in life. So I wouldn't use them as the benchmark.

We're talking about the Orioles here. Nothing makes sense.

Well, there's a growing awareness in football today that they have been ignoring concussion symptoms with awful, often fatal, results later in life. So I wouldn't use them as the benchmark.

This is very true, however look at Troy Aikman. LaVar Arrington sent him into retirement with the last of several concussions. I'm not pretending to thoroughly know Aikman's medical records but he is holding down a job as an analyst that requires him to be mentally sharp. I'm sure there's some long term damage there but he's doing fine and he had several concussions.

I know I'm ignoring several football players out there who have had severe problems later in life after several concussions as well. Again, I'm not trying to downplay their significance and I know that one concussion doesn't necessarily equal the severity of another. However, when you look at a guy like Aikman who endured more than one...Roberts not being able to get over one just doesn't make sense to me.

We're talking about the Orioles here. Nothing makes sense.

Winner. Nothing makes sense and everything sucks.

Maybe Roberts has gotten a concussion every single time he's hit himself with the bat. :D

Seriously, how ridiculous is that sentence to have to type out? Maybe we need to institute a policy of banning players hitting themselves...in the heads...with...bats...

C'mon, Brian Roberts.

I think Roberts' lack of desire to play on a losing team might have something to do with it.

Remember how he didn't return until Showalter took over last year? The timing seemed a bit odd there. Why was he out until August?

And then he has another "setback" this season after his OPS slips to .604 and the Orioles have sunk to 5th place again. Again, interesting timing.

It seems once Roberts got into his guaranteed $10 million a year seasons like he is now, he was on the field less and less and the more the Orioles lost, the longer it would take him to return.

And now that the Orioles season is basically done, Brian himself has no desire to come back to play for a loser IMO and the offseason moves will dictate if he retires or actually wants to come back and play.

I think Roberts' lack of desire to play on a losing team might have something to do with it.

Remember how he didn't return until Showalter took over last year? The timing seemed a bit odd there. Why was he out until August?

And then he has another "setback" this season after his OPS slips to .604 and the Orioles have sunk to 5th place again. Again, interesting timing.

It seems once Roberts got into his guaranteed $10 million a year seasons like he is now, he was on the field less and less and the more the Orioles lost, the longer it would take him to return.

And now that the Orioles season is basically done, Brian himself has no desire to come back to play for a loser IMO and the offseason moves will dictate if he retires or actually wants to come back and play.

Holy cow. Are you Alex Jones? You have so many conspiracy theories and I just cant comprehend how you come up with them all.

I've got to agree. This is the third time I've seen her give out neg rep for literally no reason, including once to myself. I try to keep my mouth shut about other posters and mind my own business but she's got a ton of rep and it sucks to have such a huge ding against you for no reason.

Hold on. I thought Roberts got hurt sliding into 3rd base or something. Are you telling me that this injury was a result of him hitting himself in the head with a bat ???

I believe that both occurred. Last year, he hit himself in the head with a bat:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5650662

Earlier this season, he started experiencing headaches shortly after sliding head-first into first base:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2011-05-18/sports/bs-sp-orioles-notebook-0519-20110518_1_orioles-roberts-headaches-andy-macphail

Archived