Do you think Peter Angelos Owes the Fans Answers?

Greg Pappas

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how you're going with this Greg. Are you asking if PA should answer questions in a Q&A session? My answer to that would depend on if other MLB owners do this, or if they are pretty much out of the spotlight.

Or, are you asking if we, as passionate fans of a perennially losing and poorly managed ballclub, deserve more from the owner?

If so, what are the questions that he should answer to?

Peter Angelos "owes" us nothing - he's not an elected official.

If you don't like the way he runs an organization (and who does) then vote with your dollars. For me, I've decided to not go to any games or renew my tickets. Is it a big deal - nope. But it does make me feel better.

If so, what are the questions that he should answer to?

I don't think Peter owes the fans answers. I think MacPhail owes us some answers, and not the neatly scripted ones hes been spewing for 3 years now, and stupid cliches. If Peter owes the fans anything, it would be a better GM who wants this franchise to improve.

I don't think Peter owes the fans answers. I think MacPhail owes us some answers, and not the neatly scripted ones hes been spewing for 3 years now, and stupid cliches. If Peter owes the fans anything, it would be a better GM who wants this franchise to improve.

Of course not. No more then the guy that owns the local resturant. If you don't like it, don't eat there.

Of course not. No more then the guy that owns the local resturant. If you don't like it, don't eat there.

I don't think it's exactly the same. Did the local restaurant owner get a $400M restaurant built for him at taxpayer expense? Did the local restaurant owner get a deal where his restaurant gets upgraded at the government's expense because another restaurant down the street got an even sweeter deal from the government? Does the local restaurant have an government granted anti-trust exemption and related territorial rights that give him the sole right to sell his kind of food in the entire Baltimore metro area?

Sports teams in North America are almost public-private partnerships, just with all the profits going to the private portion.

In practice this doesn't give the taxpaying public any more say over their operation than over a run-of-the-mill corporation, but maybe it should.

"Are you willing to do whatever it takes for the Orioles to get to the playoffs as soon as 2012 and become a perennial contender after that?"

If the answer is no, then no fan should support the Orioles period until the team is sold to somebody that is.

We could all save ourselves some anguish and grief and live more productive lives if that one question could be asked and answered.

Guest rochester

The only question I would ask is when he is no longer the hands-on majority owner and/or if, God forbid, he passes, what is his plan?

Sell to someone who will keep the team local?

Any thoughts given to whom?

Turn it over to his family?

Find new investors to partner with the minority holders?

To me, that would tell us more than how much is he going to spend, etc.

I may be wrong, is there something that says that, i.e., the Ravens owner couldn't buy the O's as well?

I don't think it's exactly the same. Did the local restaurant owner get a $400M restaurant built for him at taxpayer expense? Did the local restaurant owner get a deal where his restaurant gets upgraded at the government's expense because another restaurant down the street got an even sweeter deal from the government? Does the local restaurant have an government granted anti-trust exemption and related territorial rights that give him the sole right to sell his kind of food in the entire Baltimore metro area?

Sports teams in North America are almost public-private partnerships, just with all the profits going to the private portion.

In practice this doesn't give the taxpaying public any more say over their operation than over a run-of-the-mill corporation, but maybe it should.[/QUOTE]

But it doesn't and until that is changed and he is forced to do things different, he will not answer to anyone. The local resturant could have gotten reduced taxes, he could have gotten a build out by the landlord. Does that mean he needs to explain how he is making his chicken parm to the landlord, of course not. That local resturant owner made his deal, just as PA did. It is too late now.

Archived