Potential Free Agent 2B

SilentJames

Thinking of the possibilty of Brian actually playing next year... how about Jerry Hairston? Could cover 2nd and he would make a much better 4th outfielder than Pie. You could still get a real 2nd baseman and find a spot for Jerry.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thinking of the possibilty of Brian actually playing next year... how about Jerry Hairston? Could cover 2nd and he would make a much better 4th outfielder than Pie. You could still get a real 2nd baseman and find a spot for Jerry.

Wouldn't that be a riot? But its a bad idea.

I personally think Rollins is a terrible idea. The type of contract he would want is not what the Orioles need to be looking for in this situation. Hardy is fine at short right now, no reason to mess with that. We need insurance for Brian, Barmes is interesting though that OBP is pretty poor.

Giving Miclat a shot is interesting as well, but jumping from AA to the majors is going to be a shock.

Hardy is average at SS defensively. Rollins has been a leadoff hitter before and this season seems to be better with the glove than Hardy. I think you could get him for a 3/30 contract. Keep in mind that would only be if Roberts retired. We aren't asking Rollins to hit HRs, just to be solid defensively, get on base at a decent clip and steal bases, something he still does very well.

Adding Rollins to the lineup would be adding some speed which we are currently lacking.

Well that is where we differ. I think this core of players is something that we can build around. Jones, Markakis, Wieters, Reynolds, Hardy - I think we have the makings of a solid offense right there.

What is missing? A nice solid high OBP guy and some better defense at the corners and left field.

You and I both know that the entire future rests on the young pitching and unless Jones is going to get us a top flight TOR type starter then I don't see the point in breaking up that core.

Of course to you I'm (and anyone that shares this view) is wrong and nothing we ever say will convince you or at least make you consider this opinion for more than 20 seconds so just go on, do your thing.

The last line is very mature. I am impressed with the progress you have made in that area...BTW, it also makes no sense, so whatever.

The fact that you think a 3ish WAR player is a centerpiece of a team is all I need to hear.

Hardy is average at SS defensively. Rollins has been a leadoff hitter before and this season seems to be better with the glove than Hardy. I think you could get him for a 3/30 contract. Keep in mind that would only be if Roberts retired. We aren't asking Rollins to hit HRs, just to be solid defensively, get on base at a decent clip and steal bases, something he still does very well.

Adding Rollins to the lineup would be adding some speed which we are currently lacking.

If the Orioles were able to sign Rollins for $30M I would eat my hat.

The last line is very mature. I am impressed with the progress you have made in that area...BTW, it also makes no sense, so whatever.

The fact that you think a 3ish WAR player is a centerpiece of a team is all I need to hear.

Think of it as marketing. Stats wise Jones isn't the centerpiece of the team, but face wise he most certainly is right now. Markakis is declining, Wieters isn't a spokesperson or a leader like Jones seems to be. Roberts is fading fast if he's already not done.

If the Orioles were to trade Jones who do they market? Where's the star player?

Hence if you deal Jones, you might as well trade everybody else and go with a "come see the kids" campaign like the Orioles tried in 2001 with a bunch of 28-30 year olds.

Yes, I am sure that Rollins at 33, 34 and 35 will be so much better than Hardy at 28, 29 and 30 as a shortstop.

Nevermind that many of his defensive stats have been declining over the last few years, nevermind that changing leagues will have an impact, nevermind that he will be going up against the best pitchers/ staffs in baseball as opposed to some of the worst. And the old chestnut its not 2012 it is 13,14 and beyond we have to worry about as well.

Moreover, Rollins is on the best team in baseball right now, if they want him, he will stay there. We can find a younger, better, more long-term option elsewhere for not nearly as much money.

Miclat is essentially repeating AA and has only managed a .701 OPS. What's worse is that he has no power at all - his OBP is higher than his SLG and thus his OBP is driving his OPS. It's very unlikely that his walk rate would translate to MLB - big league pitchers just are not going to walk a guy who can not hurt them by hitting an extra base hit. They especially are not going to walk a guy who definitely can not get an extra base hit, but definitely will raise hell if he gets on base. So... it's very likely Miclat's OBP dives significantly in transitioning to the majors, and coupled with no power - he'd be a prime candidate to post a sub .600 OPS as a big league regular.

Miclat either needs to develop some power, or raise his batting average significantly to compensate for a probable deterioration of his walk rate to stick as an MLB starter.

You are exactly right. There's no way we should be considering a guy with an OPS of 700 at AA (there for the second straight year) for our major league club next year. Let's also not forget it was only two years ago he put up a sub 600 OPS in A ball. Miclat has made some nice strides and is intriguing, but he has to go to Norfolk next year. Adams, who is only a few months older than Miclat, has shown he can hit at every level so far. The question is 'What of his defensive skills?'. Why not bring him up for the last part of the season and check him out so you can make an informed decision?

If the Orioles were able to sign Rollins for $30M I would eat my hat.

Furcal will likely be out there, as will Marco Scutaro and of course Jose Reyes.

Rollins isn't exactly blowing away the competition this season in his walk year either. It might take something like 3/36 but I doubt much more than that.

You lecturing someone about maturity, hysterical.

Anyway, you are right. He is a 3 WAR player now. But I think he is maturing into something more than that. I think we have a legitimate star on the rise with Jones and I am willing to take a risk with him. Is it a risk, yes it is but so is trading him and I think the rewards for keeping him exceed the rewards for trading him right now.

Of course that is without seeing the possible return, which at this point is a pure unadulterated hypothetical situation. I know you have an idea about what type of player(s) he would bring back because you have a theory about everything and that is fine. But until I see something that is a concrete Players X,Y and Z were offered for Jones then it is just speculation.

Meanwhile, I think Jones can be something special. He is the only player on this team that has seemed to take even the smallest step forward. Get him some help and he can take another step.

Again, just my opinion. Don't bother calling me wrong, I already know you think I am. Just explain why it makes sense to trade Jones and not everyone else. Because, to me if Jones really is "only a 3WAR player" and not something to build around then we aren't going to get a bunch of pieces to build around back now are we? Therefore, if you are going to trade Jones you might as well blow it up and get as many prospects as you can back, flood the minors and develop away.

There is simply no chance Rollins leaves the phillies for the orioles unless they offer him 3/60+.

It would depend on what else the Orioles did.

Rollins certainly wouldn't be the first get if that were the case.

And again, Roberts would have to decide to either hang them up or play out his last few years on the 60 day DL. I see Roberts trying to come back next season because we should have a much improved team.

Archived