AJ Burnett curses Girardi after being lifted in the 2nd

billybang

I think every major-league starter is going to be pissed if they get pulled in the second inning, even if they deserve it. Either they want to pitch out of trouble or they are upset at themselves for their performance, sometimes both.

Doesn't mean anything to me. Now, if it comes out that Burnett and Girardi went all Dibble and Pinella in the locker room, that's news.

EDIT: Just to add, this is the kind of stuff that people get ticked off about when it comes to the Yankees getting the attention they get. On the Rays or Tigers or Diamondbacks or any other contender this is passed with nary a second glance. But since it is the Yankees, it deserves a thread.

Then burnett sat in the dugout and watched his reliever allow 3 of Burnetts runners to score. Then he left the dugout into the locker room, clubhouse or wherever he went. He already has an inflated ERA. Bad day for Burnett. I would be angry too if I was Burnett. He knows he has the best offense in the MLB supporting him. Just settle down and watch the Yankees offense put up runs in bunches.

I saw it. Girardi claimed that Burnett did not said anything hostile to him, which is ridiculous. He claimed that Burnett said that he was yelling to Girardi about the home plate umpire's strike zone. A pitcher doesn't look at his manager and yell something at him when leaving the mound if he is griping about the home plate umpire's calls.

Not only that, but when he was yanked, Burnett sat on the bench ... and stayed only until Luis Ayala let Burnett's 3 (inherited) runs score. Then Burnett immediately went to the clubhouse ... while the inning was still in progress. Obviously, all Burnett cared about was whether or not the 3 runners that he left on base would score and inflate his ERA, and didn't care whether Ayala got the third out of the inning before any more runs had scored and/or whether or not his team would have even the slightest chance of still winning the game.

Incredibly, Burnett one-upped Kevin Gregg on the obnoxious scale by just a tad.

Archived