Alex Len yet to pass NCAA Clearinghouse

Danielos38

Word is that the initial eligibility ruling might come today... From what everyone has been saying, he's likely to be ruled ineligible now, and then have a good chance of gaining eligibility at some point upon appeal. That would probably happen at the beginning of the 2nd semester which starts in mid January.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Word is that the initial eligibility ruling might come today... From what everyone has been saying, he's likely to be ruled ineligible now, and then have a good chance of gaining eligibility at some point upon appeal. That would probably happen at the beginning of the 2nd semester which starts in mid January.

Talked to Sean Mosley tonight. He said that Len is going to be eligible at some point this season. When that will be, he's not sure. Said that they are very cautiously optimistic that the original decision will be positive. Evidently, MD's case upon appeal is strong. FWIW.

Talked to Sean Mosley tonight. He said that Len is going to be eligible at some point this season. When that will be, he's not sure. Said that they are very cautiously optimistic that the original decision will be positive. Evidently, MD's case upon appeal is strong. FWIW.

Name dropper. ;)

Just kidding, I really like hearing from someone on campus who can get straight scoop on things. Thanks for bringing the info and citing your source. It will be good once Len can start practicing with the team even if it's while still under appeal.

Name dropper. ;)

Just kidding, I really like hearing from someone on campus who can get straight scoop on things. Thanks for bringing the info and citing your source. It will be good once Len can start practicing with the team even if it's while still under appeal.

Haha didn't mean to name drop and make myself sound like a big shot. I don't hang around with basketball players... Mosley just sat right next to me when I was getting dinner so I asked him about it. Happy to provide any kind of info when I get it.

This has little to do with the topic, though I did bring Len's name up to him. But while I was on the Fan in DC with Scott Jackson today, we had Laron Profit on. We talked some NBA, but also Maryland hoops. Profit was a good conversation, and I had him tell his favorite Gary story too. Check it out...

http://washington.cbslocal.com/audio-on-demand/the-brian-mitchell-show/

Just a reminder that, last week on Twitter, Len said that he expects to hear an initial decision from the NCAA by Tuesday. Well, today's Tuesday so we'll see if that actually happens. It would be just like the NCAA for them to tell a kid when he'll find out the future of his life and then not actually do it when they said they will.

There was a comment at Testudo Times that said they were hearing he'd only miss 4 games.

Absolutely no idea how reliable that is.

Yeah, I was just told that by a friend who saw it. Not sure how that's possible. My understanding is that this is a question of whether or not Len forfeited his amateur status when playing in Ukraine. If that's the case, then he is either an amateur and can play, or is a professional and can not. How would a suspension of four games change that fact?

Yeah, I was just told that by a friend who saw it. Not sure how that's possible. My understanding is that this is a question of whether or not Len forfeited his amateur status when playing in Ukraine. If that's the case, then he is either an amateur and can play, or is a professional and can not. How would a suspension of four games change that fact?

Is it possible that the appeals process takes long enough that a decision won't be made until after 4 games have passed? I have no idea if that's true...just a guess.

It is not that clear cut in situations like this. Even the crazy NCAA rules recognize that players can and do receive some benefits that while are in fact payment for playing a sport the benefits are not so great that the player is a professional. Many times these cases are handled by a suspension and/or repayment of the benefit. The history of players coming from the former soviet nations reveals that the NCAA usually has some problem with expense reimbursement relating to the player being a member of a National team and for that matter the club system that exists in these countries.

It is not that clear cut in situations like this. Even the crazy NCAA rules recognize that players can and do receive some benefits that while are in fact payment for playing a sport the benefits are not so great that the player is a professional. Many times these cases are handled by a suspension and/or repayment of the benefit. The history of players coming from the former soviet nations reveals that the NCAA usually has some problem with expense reimbursement relating to the player being a member of a National team and for that matter the club system that exists in these countries.

Interesting. So the four game suspension rumor could possibly be true. I've heard that he only played less than 5 games in the Ukraine anyways, so that could be an appropriate suspension. That would be great news, if true.

Interesting. So the four game suspension rumor could possibly be true. I've heard that he only played less than 5 games in the Ukraine anyways, so that could be an appropriate suspension. That would be great news, if true.

It could be possible, I know in many of these cases the issue can be a simple has the national team picking up the travel expenses back to his home more often than just the just twice a season. Honestly the system is dumb IMO. I really don't know how almost any travel baseball player in the states would pass the same scrutiny.

I also heard from a friend that it was a four game suspension and that word is that Len at 7'0" has skills that will make an instant impact.

You don't want to take much of anything away from what you see at Midnight Madness, since it's all for show. But one thing we can safely say is that Len is no stiff. He has more athleticism than guys like Mardesich and Bowers could ever dream of.

I am crazy or does anyone else think that if Len plays for MD, then MD will have a better team than last year. I really believe it. The progression of the guards and some big men who didn't play much (Pankey and Padgett), are going to be huge. MD also had addition by subtraction, getting rid of Bowie and Tucker (Dino to some extent because he really isn't big enough to play in the ACC but I will miss his rebounding). Mosely has too much pride to have a bad season. That's my optimistic view of the Terps this season, join in if you want!

Archived