Alex Len yet to pass NCAA Clearinghouse

Danielos38

I certainly think they could be better. The only concern is foul trouble and or wearing down with only 8 scholarship players. Here is the thing. I think Turg is a guy who will play to his players strengths. Gary tried to mold everyone into a role. With a motion offense I think it'll will play to our strength which is or guards and will be less restrictive than the flex.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am crazy or does anyone else think that if Len plays for MD, then MD will have a better team than last year. I really believe it. The progression of the guards and some big men who didn't play much (Pankey and Padgett), are going to be huge. MD also had addition by subtraction, getting rid of Bowie and Tucker (Dino to some extent because he really isn't big enough to play in the ACC but I will miss his rebounding). Mosely has too much pride to have a bad season. That's my optimistic view of the Terps this season, join in if you want!

I'll buy in. I think Pankey will surprise some. If Len can play and be solid, Padgett can take a step forward, they should be a better overall team. The Stoglin/Howard/Faust backcourt rotation should be really good. Mosley and Mychal Parker at the 3 I guess? I haven't seen Parker enough to give an opinion, but I know some were high on him. Len/Padgett/Pankey playing the 4 and 5.

Some things need to happen, but I really believe they could surprise some people and make the tournament this year. Maybe I'm just drinking the koolaid, but it sure tastes good.

Edit: Toss Weijs in there too for the big men. He's incredibly unproven, but he didn't look terrible in his very limited action last season. Toss him into the pile of players we need to see more of.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terps/tracking-the-terps/bal-sources-alex-len-can-start-playing-as-soon-as-today-20111102,0,5789365.story

Olexiy ("Alex") Len, a center from Antratsit, Ukraine, is back practicing with the Terps today and can play following a 10-game penalty.

Maryland learned today about the 10 games that Len, a promising 7-footer, will miss as a penalty for previously having played with a club overseas.

I am so confused on the rules that go with the NCAA. Not sure how he can be eligible to play, but qualifies for a 10 game suspension. Very excited to see this kid play this year. We all need to remember throughout the season that this is a rebuilding year. If our young freshman (Faust, Len, Pankey, even Stoglin) can progress throughout the season and we can bring in another great class the next 1-2 years this team is ready.

I am so confused on the rules that go with the NCAA. Not sure how he can be eligible to play, but qualifies for a 10 game suspension.

They probably know that they don't have enough to defend an appeal, so just going for ten games offers a punishment (of sorts, I guess) while not making it worthwhile for Maryland to fight.

@sunjeffbarker

Jeff Barker

Mark Turgeon on promising Alex Len: "He is not the savior. He's not the hero." Coach says Len must grasp "physicality" of the game.

That's a good point. I'm sure once Alex gets on the court he will experience a style of play he's never seen before. We might want to be careful not to set our expectations for him too high this season. Especially if this season does end up being a rough one as far as W's and L's go.

Archived