Bigger problem: failure to develop our own players, or lack of aggressiveness in the FA market?

Frobby

Which is the bigger problem for the Orioles?  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the bigger problem for the Orioles?

• Failure to develop their own players
    • Lack of aggressiveness in the free agent market
    • Both problems are about equal

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It all has to do with drafting and development.

1. Drafting terribly

2. Not developing the talent we do have.

3. Not making the right trades for players who can net you more picks.

Nothing to do with FA. 3 Teixeira's couldn't save this team.

We should be selecting and developing our players as well as the Tampa Bay Rays do. When you combine that with the fact that level of development with the fact that we can spend $40 million more on our team payroll than the Rays can, you should have a team that is a favorite to compete for the division championship year in and year out. Our mismanagement of prospects and cash is an epic failure.

We should be selecting and developing our players as well as the Tampa Bay Rays do. When you combine that with the fact that level of development with the fact that we can spend $40 million more on our team payroll than the Rays can, you should have a team that is a favorite to compete for the division championship year in and year out. Our mismanagement of prospects and cash is an epic failure.

I honestly feel that Tampa is a statistical outlier. Every team can look at Tampa and use their success to see how they could do much better with the money they spend vs. Tampa. I think a more accurate team to compare the Orioles to is Toronto. We need to be Toronto at a minimum. Would love to be Tampa, just don't think that is realistic, but cannot be less than Toronto. Wow is that depressing or what when I read it in words!!

I want to say one other thing -- it is my opinion that it is just about impossible for the Orioles to make up for their deficiencies in acquiring and developing talent by signing free agents.
Exactly, free agency is to supplement your team, not to build it.

To have success in FA, you must develop prospects first.

Right. The Rays have only supplemented their teams through the FA market. Pena, Damon, Burrell. Meanwhile their talent becomes big name FAs and allows them to get more draft picks and/or more talent in trades.

We need to be more aggressive, but a team's success will always depend on their ability to develop talent.

Teams not named Yankees.

This is wrong...Its very important ot the Yankees...They have had a lot of home grown talent be big time contributors for them.

They have also used some of that talent to trade for established pieces.

This is the #1 thing for ALL TEAMS.

Archived