Phillies asked for & received permission to interview Jordan (Jordan reportedly accepts position)

Greg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
danconnollysun Dan Connolly

#Phillies asked for & received permission to iview Jordan. They've a small window 2 decide whether to hire him. His O's contract up in Dec

Mods please fix title to interview

Gee every one here wants to get rid of Jordan, but the Phillies seem think he would be an upgrade? How can that be?

Gee every one here wants to get rid of Jordan, but the Phillies seem think he would be an upgrade? How can that be?

You're assuming that they're hiring him for the same job and that they they actually think he's better at that job than what they already have. Do you know why they may have an opening?

Personally, I think Jordan is limited in this organization because he doesn't have enough scouts, and not enough good scouts. That makes his job quite difficult.

Ditto...Jordan will likely move to Philly and reclaim the luster he brought with him from the Marlins. I doubt Jordan enjoyed much freedom to stray from slot in rounds 2-5.

Ditto...Jordan will likely move to Philly and reclaim the luster he brought with him from the Marlins. I doubt Jordan enjoyed much freedom to stray from slot in rounds 2-5.

We could always have done more, but Jordan has always said he was comfortable with the Orioles' budget, and according to MacPhail, the Orioles spent the 3rd most of any team during the last 4 years. Obviously, the Phillies are in a very different position than the Orioles since the are usually drafting near the bottom, and on at least a couple of occasions have given up their no. 1 pick after signing a top-tier free agent like Cliff Lee.

It would be nice to know who our GM is going to be before we have to decide whether to try to hold on to Jordan.

It's hard to offer criticism of Jordan without knowing the parameters he had to work within, until I get to Hobgood. For that wasted pick I blame him entirely. Not to say I could have done better, but I certainly would have picked differently.

We could always have done more, but Jordan has always said he was comfortable with the Orioles' budget, and according to MacPhail, the Orioles spent the 3rd most of any team during the last 4 years. Obviously, the Phillies are in a very different position than the Orioles since the are usually drafting near the bottom, and on at least a couple of occasions have given up their no. 1 pick after signing a top-tier free agent like Cliff Lee.

It would be nice to know who our GM is going to be before we have to decide whether to try to hold on to Jordan.

What else would you expect Jordan to say in public? AM might be correct in our draft expenditures numbers (which I find somewhat tiring after he said it for the 100th time) but the substantial majority of the annual draft expenditures has been tied up in one pick which happened to be in the top 5. Boston is also generally in the top 5 for draft expenditures yet they pick near the bottom of the first round. Our draft expenditures have not been nearly enough given our passive approach to every other roster building option.

What else would you expect Jordan to say in public? AM might be correct in our draft expenditures numbers (which I find somewhat tiring after he said it for the 100th time) but the substantial majority of the annual draft expenditures has been tied up in one pick which happened to be in the top 5. Boston is also generally in the top 5 for draft expenditures yet they pick near the bottom of the first round. Our draft expenditures have not been nearly enough given our passive approach to every other roster building option.

And to balance this, you need to look at how many picks each team had.

I remember when the Orioles drafted Hobgood somebody said that this was the kind of pick that could create a reputation for Jordan, because he was going against consensus and reaching for a particular player. He would have received tons of credit had Hobgood panned out, but the fact that he did not means he deserves the blame he gets for that. To me that pick in particular will always define his tenure with the Orioles. It's a shame, because in some ways I admire the fact that he went against consensus, but on the other hand the Orioles really couldn't afford to get that creative with a top draft pick.

I don't disagree that we should have been willing to spend even more on the draft. I'm discussing this more in terms of what Jordan had to work with, rather than what the Orioles as a team should have allocated to the draft. He's had pretty decent funding compared to most teams, plus the opportunity to pick in a portion of the 1st round where it's much harder to miss on a pick. To me, the bigger problem for Jordan was that he has only gotten 2 1st round supplemental picks (2005 & 2006), and was deprived of two 2nd rounders (2007 & 2010) and a 3rd rounder (2007)

I remember when the Orioles drafted Hobgood somebody said that this was the kind of pick that could create a reputation for Jordan, because he was going against consensus and reaching for a particular player. He would have received tons of credit had Hobgood panned out, but the fact that he did not means he deserves the blame he gets for that. To me that pick in particular will always define his tenure with the Orioles. It's a shame, because in some ways I admire the fact that he went against consensus, but on the other hand the Orioles really couldn't afford to get that creative with a top draft pick.

I was one of those who said it. He has to take his lumps for that one, though I still wonder whether post-selection injuries have derailed Hobgood, rather than him just being a flat-out poor pick. Not too many 1st rounders flat-line at low A, even if they never make it to the majors. Even ones picked late in the 1st round.

Archived