Phillies asked for & received permission to interview Jordan (Jordan reportedly accepts position)

Greg

Some Chicago fans had a huge issue with how Ozzie Guillen handled himself as manager. Are their complaints invalidated because Florida not only wanted him, but gave up assets to get him?

Mr. Jordan SHOULD have a lot of opportunities available to him. He has experience at the highest level in amateur scouting, he is respected in the scouting community, and he had to deal with bonus restrictions and limited staff in Baltimore.

At the same time, Philly interviewing him doesn't mean poster X and poster Y are wrong to question his Hobgood pick, for example. It's also hilarious that you decided to get on your high horse without even knowing for what position he was interviewing. Motives pretty clear, and not surprising, here....

It would be interesting to see the success rate of players drafted and making the big leagues for JJ as compared to others in our division and perhaps an average of MLB. That would shed light on our drafting & development versus our competitors. We seem to think our system is inferior to almost everyone else's and certainly to those in our division..

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Director of Player Development" is what was reported, but that position title does not exist in the organization. He'd be interviewing for "Assistant GM, Player Development/Scouting".

Joe is such a good baseball man that its not surprising that he would be considered for an assistant GM position. The Phillies or any organization, including the Orioles would be smart to give him more authority. He's smart, well-liked, a fantastic negotiator, and very rarely have I disagreed with him when it came to evaluating minor league talent. Although we all can disagree with his picks here and there (as you can with any scouting director) the one thing no one should ever question is his intelligence or baseball acumen, even beyond scouting amateur players.

Joe is such a good baseball man that its not surprising that he would be considered for an assistant GM position. The Phillies or any organization, including the Orioles would be smart to give him more authority. He's smart, well-liked, a fantastic negotiator, and very rarely have I disagreed with him when it came to evaluating minor league talent. Although we all can disagree with his picks here and there (as you can with any scouting director) the one thing no one should ever question is his intelligence or baseball acumen, even beyond scouting amateur players.

From what I know about Mr. Jordan, I think he would fit in very well with the Philly eval/developmental group. It would be fun to see him given more authority, and he would have some really impressive developmental folks to work with. Do you have a sense as to whether you think he'd prefer to remain king of his own kingdom (the amateur draft) or a seat at the table for the larger org decisions (Ass. GM, Dev/Scouting)? Obviously, I know you can't share his actual thoughts, but maybe your personal take based on your discussions with him in the past.

Were I Mr. Jordan, I think I'd like a change of scenery with an opportunity to get my hands into a larger piece of the organization.

It would be interesting to see the success rate of players drafted and making the big leagues for JJ as compared to others in our division and perhaps an average of MLB. That would shed light on our drafting & development versus our competitors. We seem to think our system is inferior to almost everyone else's and certainly to those in our division..

There are studies out there (not sure of what's public) that break down success rate across a lot of areas. Jordan's success rate, from a flat number perspective, is skewed because of limited picks.

The Orioles could do better than Jordan as SD, but probably won't. Good luck to Joe. I'm sure he's excited about the change of scenery and the ability to work in a functional organization.

I hope Baltimore has a good list of candidates ready.

Why do I have the feeling things are about to get much worse in Birdland.

I don't think I would be that pessimistic. There is a good chance that Jordan would not have been retained by the new GM anyways.

Look at it this way, things could not get much worse. But depending on what moves are made in the near future, we could make major steps toward getting better for the first time in a while. I am actually pretty optimistic.

I like Jordan and he always seemed like a really good guy, but as I said earlier, this is a move that was probably best for both parties.

This is a promotion for Joe so I'm happy for him. He's moving to a better organization where his abilities will be utilized to their fullest. Joe had always said it would be better for the Orioles to have guy in charge of both player development and scouting so it would have one voice. It sounds like he will get his wish with the Phillies.

As for the Orioles, they found a way to marginalize a man who found a promotion with an organization that contends every year. You be the judge.

So now when I go to the Reading Phillies games in 2-3 years I can see what the Orioles could have had in their pipeline in the future. I know it is not apples to apples because of where you are drafting, but it will be interesting to see in person the evidence of what Jordan can or cannot do when Bowie comes to town. I have the feeling that he is going to excel in Philadelphia and thus my local area should be rewarded.

Its a good move for both parties. Jordan could use a fresh start in another organization and whoever the Orioles bring in as GM is likely and should want to bring in their own people. To be honest I think the development system was more the problem than the picks made by Jordan but its not as if the guy picked a ton of off the radar talent that is lighting it up in the minors. Like it or not this is the guy that is responsible for a minor league system in which the only real prospects are Machado, Schoop, Bundy x2. Can we convince Philly to take the Stockstills also ????

Archived