Stockstill Signed for 2012 Per Roch

Rene88

Depends on if I agree with the manager. If I agree with what he wants to do and everything works, I look like a genius and I'll be in huge demand because I fixed the Orioles.

If I fail, I can just point to the constraints and everybody understands and feels sorry for me.

It's really a no-lose situation as somebody brought up earlier.

Clubs might be denying permission because they know their candidate would want it.

Ah, so you DO feel sorry for Andy MacPhail, because of all the constraints he was under? ;)

Just making sure you are being consistent.........

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A brutal, but pretty accurate statement (besides ruining Pie since I don't think he was that good anyways) on the coaching staff. It's usually hard to define the impact of the coaching staff but the first year certainly didn't go well for Buck's choices besides Randolph and proved to be an excellent third base coach after Russell's implosion over there.

I think Wayne Kirby has done some good things as baserunning coach. Adam Jones seemed much more comfortable getting his lead off 1B this year than in the past. Robert Andino became an effective base stealer in the second half of the season. Nick Markakis was more aggressive stealing bases. The O's didn't run a ton, but they ran very effectively (76% success rate). As an outfield coach, the numbers say Adam Jones was worse in 2011 than in 2010, but I didn't see it that way. I saw fewer times that he was out of position, and I saw better habits in lining up his throws. So to me, Kirby did a good job from what I can see.

Jim Presley was a mixed bag. OBP down, SLG up, but the bottom line is we scored 95 more runs in 2011 than in 2010 and the last two months were the best two, So, he did enough for me to want to see how the team does next year now that he has been in charge for a while.

Russell was a poor 3B coach, but at least Buck had the guts to have Randolph and Russell switch roles in mid-season, and made it seem like no big deal. (I don't buy the excuse that Russell's knees were bothering him too much as 3B coach; in my opinion, that was said just to avoid embarassing Russell). One of Russell's roles is to work with Matt Wieters, and obviously there are no complaints in that department.

At the end of the day, it's all about the pitching fiasco.

Incidentally, I heard a rumor that Scott McGregor was extremely effective in his month-long stint as bullpen coach at the end of the season. But I also hear he is not interested in having that job full-time.

As the Director of Minor League Operations, John knows the talent better than anyone. Who better to give the new GM some advice on the system as a whole? The new GM should be allowed to reassign John if he so chooses and bring in his own guy, but most of the time when a new guy comes in he'll want to make some evaluations on his own. I understand the frustrations of folks and share some of the same concerns about the development system that is not very deep and has not produced many impact players, but I think just throwing everyone out at once might not be the best idea.

Either way, the new GM should have full authority to hire and fire who he wants, but let's be serious here, not even MacPhail could do that and he was as close to PA as any Angelos GM.

Yeah ultimately it is a 1 year contract and by Roch's account he can be re-assigned. I am not too worked up about it.

I do understand the general hand wringing going on as it is more of the same cart before the horse crap that seems to constantly go on within this organization and given the last name I think it is fair to say that people are even more sensitive to it.

Wait, what!? So, do you feel sorry for MacPhail? He obviously fell under the same restraints that the next GM will face. You've done nothing but bash him, yet here you post that if the new GM fails, we should all feel sorry for him for the exact thing that 99% of this board has been telling you all along. The problem is PGA.

I can't wait to read the answer to this.

As the Director of Minor League Operations, John knows the talent better than anyone. Who better to give the new GM some advice on the system as a whole? The new GM should be allowed to reassign John if he so chooses and bring in his own guy, but most of the time when a new guy comes in he'll want to make some evaluations on his own. I understand the frustrations of folks and share some of the same concerns about the development system that is not very deep and has not produced many impact players, but I think just throwing everyone out at once might not be the best idea.

Either way, the new GM should have full authority to hire and fire who he wants, but let's be serious here, not even MacPhail could do that and he was as close to PA as any Angelos GM.

And to explain what talent we have, it should take him what, 5, maybe even 10 minutes? :D

In all seriousness, why not get the GM in here quickly, allow him to "learn" about our system from John S and then, once his contract is up, you see if he is someone you want to work with.

And to explain what talent we have, it should take him what, 5, maybe even 10 minutes? :D

In all seriousness, why not get the GM in here quickly, allow him to "learn" about our system from John S and then, once his contract is up, you see if he is someone you want to work with.

Because this is the Orioles we're talking about. It took Angelos until December to hire Beattie and Flangan back in 2003. http://articles.latimes.com/2002/dec/05/sports/sp-bbnotes5 Unfortunately, I'm sure it will be at least 2 more weeks before we hire a new GM, maybe longer.

Because this is the Orioles we're talking about. It took Angelos until December to hire Beattie and Flangan back in 2003. http://articles.latimes.com/2002/dec/05/sports/sp-bbnotes5 Unfortunately, I'm sure it will be at least 2 more weeks before we hire a new GM, maybe longer.

Hiring the right GM is obviously hugely important. Given that there will be multiple interviews as well as some background work to be done, I don't think it would be unreasonable if we took 2 weeks to make a selection. 2 months would not be acceptable.

At this point, why even hire someone outside of the organization? It's pretty apparent that Buck is going to have a large influence on the direction of the Orioles. I don't think a new voice is going to come in and have the ability to lay out his road map.

Why not promote a Klentak and have him carry out their plan?

We are still talking about the Orioles, right? ;)

At this point, why even hire someone outside of the organization? It's pretty apparent that Buck is going to have a large influence on the direction of the Orioles. I don't think a new voice is going to come in and have the ability to lay out his road map.

Why not promote a Klentak and have him carry out their plan?

I actually agree with this.

I mean, I would love for them to hire some of the names being discussed but if you aren't going to let them do what they do best, just stick with what you have and go from there.

Archived