Danny O' Brien Appreciation Thread

Clemson figured out CJ by the 2nd half tonight. That won't stop Edsall and Crowton from being hard-headed enough to keep their best passer on the bench though. I have nothing at all against Brown personally' date=' and if he played at Oklahoma for Barry Switzer in the 70's he might win a Heisman. But he's not the sort of QB you can win with in the 21st century. But Edsall will keep playing him just to prove he's smarter than the rest of us, winning be damned. The only way Danny plays again is due to injury.

BTW: the Ducks are in quite a fight tonight, eh? And Darron Thomas is out for the game it seems.[/quote']

Not sure why you are pissed about the QB selection. Do you think DOB could have put up 38 points against Clemson? He didn't against WVU or GT. I think they should use both QBs as change of pace, but DOB hasn't been getting it done this year so far.

And there were a lot of dropped passes last night. Too many, IMO.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure why you are pissed about the QB selection. Do you think DOB could have put up 38 points against Clemson? He didn't against WVU or GT. I think they should use both QBs as change of pace, but DOB hasn't been getting it done this year so far.

And there were a lot of dropped passes last night. Too many, IMO.

You can hate on O'Brien all you like, but the fact is the guy is the best passer on the team, and last I checked that's the primary skill set a QB should have. I have no problem if they want to throw Brown in there for a series or two a game to mix things up for the opposing defense. But long term O'Brien has to be the guy, and if he isn't then we better start hoping that one of these incoming freshmen are.

You are right about the WR's. They absolutely suck. Furstenberg is the only receiving option on this team right now. If Dorsey doesn't come back soon there's probably little point in throwing the ball anyway.

DOB was a good passer last year.

For whatever reason, he has not been a good passer this year.

You can blame it on the schemes and offense if you want, but even when's made proper reads and made the correct throw, his timing and accuracy have been way off.

He was good for a freshman last year. How much time does that get you?

Well it's a fair question to wonder what changed from last year and wonder why that's having the affect it is. I don't know, other than that it's really disappointing. Of course, the Terps' offense still hung up 38 points the other day. It'll be interesting to see how teams gameplan for them with Brown in their now. I'm expecting lots of eight in the box, dare Brown to beat teams through the air, type defenses. Long term I have some doubts about how effective that'll be. But for now you roll with the hot hand. I still see DOB back on the field before the year is out.

Well it's a fair question to wonder what changed from last year and wonder why that's having the affect it is. I don't know, other than that it's really disappointing.

Sure, I agree with this. I mentioned in another thread that even though Ralph didn't have much success with QBs here, he was known as a bit of QB guru. I have no idea how much time he or Franklin or whoever spent with O'Brien on an individiual basis.

I also wonder if some of us weren't overrating O'Brien a bit. He had some nice games last year, but he had a few stinkers as well. Maybe we just wanted him to be more than he really is?

Don't know. Certainly not giving up on DOB yet, but I have to admit that Brown is a lot of fun to watch. He even made some really nice throws the other night (and some real bad ones, too).

DOB is a good "pocket passer" on a team that can't block and/or catch. I don't think it's all his fault that he's been ineffective. But, the lack of blocking/catching has led him to make terrible decisions because he doesn't have the athleticism to do anything else. He locks on to guys (because other guys can't catch...so why look at them) and he forces throws (same reasoning perhaps). This team needs someone with better athleticism, and that's what they have now. And, it works a lot better. Can he throw as well as DOB? Nope. But he's more effective.

Interesting article on why O'Brien can pretty much go where ever he wants to and keep two years of eligibility, even if he chooses Vandy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/post/maryland-quarterback-danny-obrien-should-have-options-after-season/2011/10/19/gIQAefyPxL_blog.html

Good for him on graduating that soon. I hope it all works out for him and he gets his shot at the NFL. Just a disappointment it didn't happen at MD. I can't imagine how NC State fans must feel right now watching Russell Wilson become a Heisman candidate at Wisconsin, but we might find out in a couple years.

Interesting article on why O'Brien can pretty much go where ever he wants to and keep two years of eligibility, even if he chooses Vandy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/terrapins-insider/post/maryland-quarterback-danny-obrien-should-have-options-after-season/2011/10/19/gIQAefyPxL_blog.html

This part really annoyed me...

O’Brien has not been made available to speak to reporters since the Tuesday before the Georgia Tech game. Maryland denied my request this week to speak to O’Brien. When asked if O’Brien could play at some point the rest of this season, Coach Randy Edsall said Tuesday, “Everybody always has to be ready to go because, if you are a backup, you are one play away from going in.”

I mean what's the worst that could happen if he talked to the media?

This part really annoyed me...

I mean what's the worst that could happen if he talked to the media?

Maybe it's O'Brien who doesn't want to talk to the media? I can see why he wouldn't want to be put in the awkward situation of having to answer the obvious questions of how he feels about everything that's happened, while also trying to be supportive of his teammates.

DOB is a good "pocket passer" on a team that can't block and/or catch. I don't think it's all his fault that he's been ineffective. But, the lack of blocking/catching has led him to make terrible decisions because he doesn't have the athleticism to do anything else. He locks on to guys (because other guys can't catch...so why look at them) and he forces throws (same reasoning perhaps). This team needs someone with better athleticism, and that's what they have now. And, it works a lot better. Can he throw as well as DOB? Nope. But he's more effective.

Watching the Clemson game, I came to this same conclusion. They need Brown in there because they need someone who can run away from the lineman and linebackers who have collapsed the pocket in less than 2 seconds. O'Brien is clearly the better passer and I think he could still be a great QB. But the way the team currently is, they need the athleticism of Brown. I think the coaches like that Brown can also make the offense tougher to defend. We'll just have to live with some of the ducks and bad throws Brown makes.

Watching the Clemson game, I came to this same conclusion. They need Brown in there because they need someone who can run away from the lineman and linebackers who have collapsed the pocket in less than 2 seconds. O'Brien is clearly the better passer and I think he could still be a great QB. But the way the team currently is, they need the athleticism of Brown. I think the coaches like that Brown can also make the offense tougher to defend. We'll just have to live with some of the ducks and bad throws Brown makes.

This.

DOB can be a successful college QB. He just needs a team that can block, run routes, and catch. The Terps aren't currently that team.

The offense didn't look like it was too hard to defend when Brown was in against Florida State. That was a game that Brown had to use his arm to have success. He finished with 0 yards rushing. He led the offense to one field goal. He didn't have much success. It's great if he can run, but if he can't throw it'll be time for a position change.

Archived