O's scouting LHP Chen Wei-Yin and SS Hiroyuki Nakajima; D.Stockstill returning?

ChaosLex

So why not let the new GM make the decision on the Stockstills? No one is saying that they should be fired immediately or even not be extended. The only point is that a decision was made by "someone" and it most likely could have been made by the new GM. Who would you want making that decision?

As a hypothetical, if you're going to send J. Stockstill to Japan as our point man on Japanese signings (including Darvish), maybe tendering him a contract for 2012 is a good decision? Who wants to send a lame duck to Japan?*

*Yeah, I know, problematic w/ the skipped start. Also, I have no idea why D. Stockstill has lasted as long as he has.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a hypothetical, if you're going to send J. Stockstill to Japan as our point man on Japanese signings (including Darvish), maybe tendering him a contract for 2012 is a good decision? Who wants to send a lame duck to Japan?*

*Yeah, I know, problematic w/ the skipped start. Also, I have no idea why D. Stockstill has lasted as long as he has.

How is he a lame duck?

He goes over and scouts, end of story.

He had a job through the end of the year.

Was he just going to stop living up to his end of the bargain because he didn't have a new contract?

So, you think there is a chance it is smart for the GM to NOT be allowed to see who he wants to surround himself with?

That's not what I am saying at all. I think there is a chance that retaining some important guys in the organization and letting the new GM pick their brain and re-assign them as he sees fit could be a positive. If we know PA will force them to stay in their current roles and will allow them to undermine the GM, then yes, I agree that it would be awful. There's of course a chance that is true. For now, I am taking this issue at face value. Therefore it's just two guys who have some sort of baseball skills/knowledge and a lot of experience with the organization that can be utilized by the new GM for the next year as he sees fit.

How is he a lame duck?

Was he just going to stop living up to his end of the bargain because he didn't have a new contract?

It was a hypothetical: if you're going to have J. Stockstill do heavy lifting while hiring gets done and new guys get up to speed, it makes sense to extend him a year. But that's just J. Stockstill. It doesn't explain anyone else.

That's not what I am saying at all. I think there is a chance that retaining some important guys in the organization and letting the new GM pick their brain and re-assign them as he sees fit could be a positive. If we know PA will force them to stay in their current roles and will allow them to undermine the GM, then yes, I agree that it would be awful. There's of course a chance that is true. For now, I am taking this issue at face value. Therefore it's just two guys who have some sort of baseball skills/knowledge and a lot of experience with the organization that can be utilized by the new GM for the next year as he sees fit.
But this doesn't address the key point...Why not let the new GM decide that for himself?

I am not even disagreeing with your main point here...I think you are right....IF the new GM agrees.

But that is a HUGE caveat.

How is he a lame duck?

I don't see it. Unless you think J. Stockstill will not do his job to the best of his ability because he's not signed for nextyear. Of course, you could argue the other side that he'll do an even better job in order to please his new boss. Lameduck? Are we afraid he won't be respected by the other scouts? File a false report?

Perhaps our experiences managing resources and employees differ greatly.

So why not let the new GM make the decision on the Stockstills? No one is saying that they should be fired immediately or even not be extended. The only point is that a decision was made by "someone" and it most likely could have been made by the new GM. Who would you want making that decision?

First off, I agree with LJ's point about them likely doing better work with an extension. Secondly, it's not a decision I really care that much about. If the decision specified that they must stay in certain roles, I would, but it apparently does not. What has been reported is the new GM can re-assign them. If that's true, he can put them in a position where they don't really matter, but still earn a paycheck. Thirdly, the assumption that some make that they are both awful may be true, but we don't know regardless of how much some want to degrade myself and others for saying that. Lastly, I just don't think it's a big deal unless the aforementioned admitted negative is what is actually the case.

No offense (which means you probably will be offended) but you keep missing the point. You didn't have to extend these guys for the new GM to pick their brains. If he thinks picking their brains is a good thing then he can keep them around as long as he wants to.

Well when someone says no offense, they generally mean to offend. :D

You think I am missing the point, but I am not. I have acknowledged that point and it is a fair one. See my last post for my response.

Back on topic...

I think Chen could be a solid bullpen arm in the American League. He's somewhat undersized with a (purportedly) limited arsenal, so I don't know that I'd project him as a starter. A bit of a Koji situation. From a couple of evaluators I've spoken with who are familiar with the name, it seems his frame/stuff wouldn't hold up in a 5 man rotation over 200 IP.

From a guy who has seen him: he could probably maintain 91-94 MPH out of the pen with solid fastball command. Good deception. Slider is viable but tends to get loose and wouldn't get him through innings 4-6 in the AL. The forkball is a more common pitch in Asian ball, and is only mildly effective and inconsistent for Chunichi but could be a workable show me offering in MLB. Probably a Koji-like tweener situation where he'd like to start in MLB but would be better off working relief.

There were a lot of scouts at last nights game with Nippon Ham playing Seibu and Seibu making the post season if they won and Orix lost. Since Darvish was supposed to pitch and Nakajima was playing in same game. Nakajima is getting a lot of attention. Hopefully they were looking at the CF for the Fighters as well, not just Darvish. Check him out Yoshio Itoi.

Why does the chick have a book on her head? :confused:

Why does Radio Shack ask for your phone number when you buy some batteries?

Back on topic...

I think Chen could be a solid bullpen arm in the American League. He's somewhat undersized with a (purportedly) limited arsenal, so I don't know that I'd project him as a starter. A bit of a Koji situation. From a couple of evaluators I've spoken with who are familiar with the name, it seems his frame/stuff wouldn't hold up in a 5 man rotation over 200 IP.

From a guy who has seen him: he could probably maintain 91-94 MPH out of the pen with solid fastball command. Good deception. Slider is viable but tends to get loose and wouldn't get him through innings 4-6 in the AL. The forkball is a more common pitch in Asian ball, and is only mildly effective and inconsistent for Chunichi but could be a workable show me offering in MLB. Probably a Koji-like tweener situation where he'd like to start in MLB but would be better off working relief.

Market inefficiency alert! Maybe the key to the Orioles' resurgence is to find six starting pitchers with my build (5' 8", 145 lbs) and start them once a week. If a guy like Chen can thrive going 27 starts a year, but he'll break down at 36, I'm guessing you could get them at 27/36ths of the cost and you'd be golden.

I'm not really kidding... if Japanese pitchers like Darvish and Matsuzaka pitch 25-30 starts a year with numbers like Grover Cleveland Alexander, throwing 130 pitches a start, maybe the six-man rotation has some merit. Especially if you can take pitchers otherwise relegated to relief and turn them into good 25-start starters.

Archived