• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll give him this offseason. But as I said, if we aren't committed to winning now, I'm done.

I can't invest more of my life following a loser.

He essentially came right out and said, Jtrea, we aren't spending the money...you should stop "investing your life" now because he isn't going to do what you want him to.

He, like practically everyone else, realizes what a task this is and that throwing money at it is the wrong way to do things.

I'll give him this offseason. But as I said, if we aren't committed to winning now, I'm done.

I can't invest more of my life following a loser.

You may as well leave right now, based on the presser. Duquette is committed to building an organization that can compete year in and year out, not to "winning now" as you put it.

"I'm a builder."

The way you get better is by "aggressive scouting."

"The team that has the best farm system is the team that competes year in and year out."

The right time to spend big on free agents is "when they can put you over the top." Spending big before then is "not a terrific use of resources."

"Our best players are going to have to come up through our farm system."

Every single word of this is correct. But as I have said a few times, it is one thing to say these things, and another thing to succesfully accomplish them.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Duquette isn't going into a big rebuild. He said that "the core is at a good age." He wants to "complement" the talent already here. So, I do expect him to make moves that he thinks will improve the team for 2012, but I don't expect him to go sign any of the top free agents, based on what he said.

And Buck seems to be on board with this approach, so where does that leave you?

He mentioned Hardy, Wieters and Jones specifically as a good part of the core(likes the up the middle talent).

But then he also talked about the need for development, depth, getting good value, etc....

So, its tough to tell if he would be for or against dealing Jones.

He said everything he needed to say..Good presser.

End of the day, it was obvious that he felt the Orioles were executing a decent plan before but did a terrible job of implementing it.

When asked about the execution of MacPhail's plan, DD responded: "I'm in favor of it."

That would've been a great nod of the cap to the Oriole Way of the past!

You may as well leave right now, based on the presser. Duquette is committed to building an organization that can compete year in and year out, not to "winning now" as you put it.

"I'm a builder."

The way you get better is by "aggressive scouting."

"The team that has the best farm system is the team that competes year in and year out."

The right time to spend big on free agents is "when they can put you over the top." Spending big before then is "not a terrific use of resources."

"Our best players are going to have to come up through our farm system."

Every single word of this is correct. But as I have said a few times, it is one thing to say these things, and another thing to succesfully accomplish them.

By the way, I'm pretty sure Duquette isn't going into a big rebuild. He said that "the core is at a good age." He wants to "complement" the talent already here. So, I do expect him to make moves that he thinks will improve the team for 2012, but I don't expect him to go sign any of the top free agents, based on what he said.

And Buck seems to be on board with this approach, so where does that leave you?

It sounds like a MacPhail like offseason, which would be just terrible.

The only hope is that Duquette's scouts are more apt at catching lightning in a bottle.

If they can win with that theory, then OK, but winning is the only thing that would bring me back if we don't show we are committed to winning now this offseason.

Slow and steady won't cut it, and I'm sure most of the fanbase will echo that with Camden green...

He mentioned Hardy, Wieters and Jones specifically as a good part of the core(likes the up the middle talent).

But then he also talked about the need for development, depth, getting good value, etc....

I think at the very least it's on the table. He emphasized OBP quite a bit as well, so maybe that plays role.

I agree, I didn't really get the same "rebuild" vibe that everyone else is getting. He mentioned his affinity for trading prospects for major league talent, and even made a point to say that the farm system is for two purposes: grooming future talent and trading for ML ready pieces. I think he will try to improve the team for 2012, just not the Trea way, which sounds good to me. Hopefully Peter doesn't hamstring him.

He said everything he needed to say..Good presser.

End of the day, it was obvious that he felt the Orioles were executing a decent plan before but did a terrible job of implementing it.

Which I basically agree with, minus a few nitpicks.

However, the fact that that plan was implemented terribly is perfect evidence that these pressers don't mean anything. He'll have to prove his commitment to the things he touts.

I do agree with him that with better scouting, better development staff, and a larger international commitment the basic framework of AM's plan is a good one. The question is whether Duquette can actually find, wrangle, and bring in that staff. Part of my skepticism regarding that lies in Duquette's absence from org. ball for 9 years (though I do think he's maintained some solid connections) and much of it lies in the fact that Peter Angelos is still the owner. Certain people will not leave the organization and some of them are in high-ranking positions.

I did like that Duquette basically thinks that "grow the arms, buy the bats" is too narrow in scope and that talent needs to be acquired by whatever means available. He'll just have to prove he can do that.

I think he'll explore it, but doesn't feel it a necessary first step the way that trading Bedard was essential in MacPhail's rebuild.

He did give me the impression that if he feels he can bring back more talent than he's giving away, he'll make just about any trade.

He can like them and still trade them.

I bet he tries to extend him, trying to keep it quiet, nothing official just takes the temp of the situation. If he feels like he can't extend him this year I bet he trades him.

Archived