Sun: O's to unveil statues of 6 HOF'ers.

OrangeJerseys

Johnny Unitas has been honored in MANY MANY ways in addition to the way Baltimore honored him.

http://www.baltimorecoltsmania.com/unitas.htm

So you made my point for me....ie...its perfectly reasonable for the Orioles to honor the man who was born and raised on the grounds of OPACY!

Your link had this....

Unitas was offered a scholarship to play at Pitt, but he was unable to pass the entrance exam so he attended Louisville. Unitas didn’t play much his senior year as captain because of injuries, but his #16 is the only retired number at the school. Unitas Tower, a dormitory at the University of Louisville, is named for Johnny Unitas. A statue of Unitas sits in the north end zone of Louisville’s stadium where it is a tradition for each Cardinal player to touch the statue as he enters the field. Since 1987, the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Award has been awarded to the top senior quarterback in college football and is presented in Louisville.

and this...

A statue of Unitas was placed in front of the Ravens’ Stadium in “Unitas Plaza” (seen photo left). Large banners depicting Unitas in his Baltimore Colts heyday now flank the entrance to the stadium. Many loyal Baltimore football fans observe the ritual of rubbing the shoe of the statue of Unitas prior to entering the stadium for a Ravens home game. Towson University named its football and lacrosse complex in honor of Unitas. He was a major fund-raiser for the university, which his children attended.

19th Street in Ocean City, Maryland, is named Johnny Unitas Way with a blue street sign and the Colts' horseshoe logo. For the game following his death, Indianapolis Colts quarterback Peyton Manning requested to wear a pair of black cleats as a tribute to Johnny U, but was denied by the league and threatened with a fine. Manning decided not to wear them.

Still looking for the part that talks about that big Unitas statue the Steelers put in front of Heinz Field. Until I find it, your point has not been proven at all.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I am not mistaken, the site of OPACY was chosen in part because it was right where the Babe had grown up. And if you look at the statue, it is Ruth as a young ballplayer in his Baltimore years, not a Yankee or a Red Sox. The name of the statue is Babe's Dream and that's self-explanatory. To me, Babe Ruth symbolizes the joy of baseball and I think the statue is great.

Yankee Stadium used to do that with the Monument Park memorials. Of course, center field was about 1,500 feet from home plate so no one could hit the ball out there :P

Remember the MTV Rock and Jock game where Brady Anderson almost ran full speed into a covered wagon that was randomly in the outfield?

Your link had this....

and this...

Still looking for the part that talks about that big Unitas statue the Steelers put in front of Heinz Field. Until I find it' date=' your point has not been proven at all.[/quote']

Are you intentionally being a horse's rear end? Louisville has a statue of him and names things after him. Towson named their field after him, and unless I'm mistaken, I don't think he played football there. My point is that it is perfectly acceptable to honor The Babe in more places than ONLY where he played his major league ball, just as its perfectly acceptable for Johnny U to be honored in other places besides Baltimore.

Also, and I don't want to take this the wrong way, as I absolutely LOVE the Johnny U Plaza at Ravens Stadium, but Johnny never played there, never played or worked for the Ravens, and aside from being honored by the team, has NO connection to the team.

As for your little quirk about a statue of Johnny U in Pittsburgh, how about the fact that the Baltimore Ravens Ring of Honor's first member, Ernest Byner, was a man who is remembered as a member of a division rival Cleveland Browns? Your argument is uninformed, and to steal a line from SG, just dumb!

If I am not mistaken, the site of OPACY was chosen in part because it was right where the Babe had grown up. And if you look at the statue, it is Ruth as a young ballplayer in his Baltimore years, not a Yankee or a Red Sox. The name of the statue is Babe's Dream and that's self-explanatory. To me, Babe Ruth symbolizes the joy of baseball and I think the statue is great.

I cannot think of one thing that you could possibly say to make me think Babe Ruth should have a statue at the Orioles baseball stadium. You're certainly entitled, but when I buy the O's, you'll have to go to the museum to learn about Babe Ruth.

I cannot think of one thing that you could possibly say to make me think Babe Ruth should have a statue at the Orioles baseball stadium. You're certainly entitled, but when I buy the O's, you'll have to go to the museum to learn about Babe Ruth.

Why should Johnny U have a statue at the Ravens stadium then?

I'm just asking your opinion, as I believe both Ruth and Johnny U belong where they are!

As for your little quirk about a statue of Johnny U in Pittsburgh, how about the fact that the Baltimore Ravens Ring of Honor's first member, Ernest Byner, was a man who NEVER played for the Ravens and is in fact, a member of a division rival Cleveland Browns? Your argument is uninformed, and to steal a line from SG, just dumb!

False. Byner played 2 years for the Ravens. His number should not be retired though.

http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/baltimore-ravens/alltime-rushing

Why should Johnny U have a statue at the Ravens stadium then?

I'm just asking your opinion, as I believe both Ruth and Johnny U belong where they are!

Because he's the best Baltimore QB ever. A rich jerk stealing the team at night doesn't change the fact that many Ravens fans cheered for him as kids.

Archived