Sun: O's to unveil statues of 6 HOF'ers.

OrangeJerseys

Because he's the best Baltimore QB ever. A rich jerk stealing the team at night doesn't change the fact that many Ravens fans cheered for him as kids.
Isn't Babe Ruth the best Baltimore baseball player ever?

I am willing to bet a load of Orioles fans cheered Babe Ruth when they were kids.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Isn't Babe Ruth the best Baltimore baseball player ever?

Not if you go by where he played. The man is a Yankee. They're our rivals...at least they would be if we were any good.

Jackie Robinson deserves to be honored everywhere for social reasons. I really really really hate the idea of claiming someone else's player just because he used to walk our streets. I'm guessing he wasn't thinking of Baltimore when he called his shot, or in his parades through NY.

The museum is fine. A huge statue at the opening of our stadium is terrible.

Not if you go by where he played. The man is a Yankee. They're our rivals...at least they would be if we were any good.

Jackie Robinson deserves to be honored everywhere for social reasons. I really really really hate the idea of claiming someone else's player just because he used to walk our streets. I'm guessing he wasn't thinking of Baltimore when he called his shot, or in his parades through NY.

WHOA! So are you saying Jackie Robinson should not be honored in his hometown???

As for the Yankee thing, we need to put a fork in it. We are not the Yankees rivals. They are a team that dominates us in every sense of the word, including their 27 World Championships to our 3.

And many cheer Jeter now. Maybe we should put a statue of him at the other end of Eutaw street. Nah...Teixeira should have that spot.

You comparing The Babe to these guys is laughable. Maybe its just me, but when one of the greatest men ever to the play the game was born a few blocks from the Stadium I don't see how honoring him with a statue can be a bad thing?

I wouldn't bet on that...

@TheRealBabe was pointing to my rowhome in Baltimore when I hit that infamous "called shot." never had the courage to tell anyone the truth til now.

If I am not mistaken, the site of OPACY was chosen in part because it was right where the Babe had grown up. And if you look at the statue, it is Ruth as a young ballplayer in his Baltimore years, not a Yankee or a Red Sox. The name of the statue is Babe's Dream and that's self-explanatory. To me, Babe Ruth symbolizes the joy of baseball and I think the statue is great.

You are partially mistaken: the site of the bar was unknown until excavation of the site began. But you are right about the statue and his age (19, right when he signed with the Baltimore Orioles).

Are you out of strawmen yet?

Hey, I know a good strawman when I see one, and Mark Teixeira is an awesome strawman! :D

I know Jeter et al have nothing to do with this. I also know that I find it repulsive to have a NY Yankee highlighted at my favorite stadium. I know he was a great player...for the Yankees. I know he's a Yankee icon. I know that Yankee stadium was the house that Ruth built. I really couldn't care less if his dad had a bar, or if he passed through some minor league iteration of Baltimore baseball.

John Elway was drafted by the Baltimore Colts. Maybe the Ravens should put a statue of him outside. Or maybe we should frame a picture of a bloody sock, since Curt Schilling was one of the greatest post season players ever and he actually played for the Orioles MLB team? /strawman :D

The Orioles were not a MLB team when Ruth played. He never played on a Yankee team that was our rival, never performed to our detriment. Big difference from, say, Mark Teixeira.

Good point. I still am not crazy about it but I've never really thought of that before.

Archived