Per Roch: Orioles interested in Cuban outfielder Yoenis Cespedes

Nick The Stick

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Normally, I would agree with this, but I think Cespedes is a bit different in that many teams are/could be after him. Uehara's market was pretty limited when he was signed.

Yeah that might be true ...What bothers me is the guy wants $60 Million and Id assume 6 years? We dont know what we are going to get from this guy. Why not jsut add it to what it takes to get Fielder ....At least your getting a Average, Homerun, RBI machine.

Yeah that might be true ...What bothers me is the guy wants $60 Million and Id assume 6 years? We dont know what we are going to get from this guy. Why not jsut add it to what it takes to get Fielder ....At least your getting a Average, Homerun, RBI machine.

Yeah...I am a little leery of a guy who's never played even minor league baseball. He certainly has the stats and definitely seems to have "tools", but I'm just not "sold". I would feel better if our contingent goes down there and comes back impressed, but talk about your small sample sizes!

Yeah...I am a little leery of a guy who's never played even minor league baseball. He certainly has the stats and definitely seems to have "tools", but I'm just not "sold". I would feel better if our contingent goes down there and comes back impressed, but talk about your small sample sizes!

IMO ...It would be worse having this guy just be average for that money than going all in for Fielder.

IMO ...It would be worse having this guy just be average for that money than going all in for Fielder.

If the scouts think his skills will translate to MLB I think they go for him. You go ut to 6/48 mil (I don't believe he will get more than that) that's a very good deal if he turns out to be someone who will be an above average ML player. Of coarse this is a gamble, so you run the risk of him being a flop, but still yet his salary is unlikely to be big enough to cripple us.

This is where you have to trust your scouts. I'm not sure we trust ours, although we have Buck and Ferreira going down to take a look and I think I trust the elder scout. I don't think there is a consensus on Cespedes. Even 6/48 is a lot to risk on a player who might be a bust. I just hope our guys evaluate him properly and either don't bid at all, or go all out to get him if they think he's the real deal.

Absolutely, but it's not a contract that can't be overcome, it's not Jayson Werth, John Lackey,or ARod bad. If DD can improve the scouting and development, not to mention the increased presence on the international front, we're likely to have some quality young players on the ML roster for league minimum towards the end of this contract.

$60M for a guy who is basically a prospect versus $170M for an All Star first baseman is his prime? Give me the All Star and I understand that Fielder' risk is probably tied to the last 2-3 years of his deal. I know that you need to trust your scouts, but $60M on a guy that has never played in the majors is a much bigger risk than Fielder IMO.

But this is where the scouting comes in, if your scouts don't believe he will be worth what it takes to get him, then you bow out. That doesn't mean he's guaranteed to succeed if we sign him, there's always a risk of failure. If they think the investment is worth the risk of failure then they should get it done.

This is where you have to trust your scouts. I'm not sure we trust ours, although we have Buck and Ferreira going down to take a look and I think I trust the elder scout. I don't think there is a consensus on Cespedes. Even 6/48 is a lot to risk on a player who might be a bust. I just hope our guys evaluate him properly and either don't bid at all, or go all out to get him if they think he's the real deal.
If we can't trust Buck and Ferreira to evaluate this guy, we're screwed.

But this guy has a better chance of busting. Some scouts say he's not even ML ready yet so you'd be paying for a 26 year old minor leaguer.

What's more likely, Cespedes gets $60 million never makes the majors, or Fielder gets $160 million and doesn't turn out to be worth $100 million or more.

What's more likely, Cespedes gets $60 million never makes the majors, or Fielder gets $160 million and doesn't turn out to be worth $100 million or more.

This is an interesting thought exercise. But I think you have to take into account that Fielder will obviously give some value at the MLB level, meaning his sub-value performance at least stops the O's from having to spend elsewhere at a position; Cespedes does that. On the other hand, the greater the discrepancy between the Fielder contract and his value, the more restrictive it is on the O's trying to make it up elsewhere.

No it wouldnt ...The samething was said when we signed Uehara.
Normally, I would agree with this, but I think Cespedes is a bit different in that many teams are/could be after him. Uehara's market was pretty limited when he was signed.

And Cespedes is a bigger star, or at least bigger news than Uehara. Certainly Koji is a HUGE star in Japan... But Cespedes is a bigger star to MLB. Think of the noise Chapman made.

I'm starting to really want this guy. $35 million is a lot if he's a total bust, but it wouldn't CRUSH this franchise the way Fielder and $200m would. (Just hypothetical if Fielder completely busts. Peace. :) ) We could work around 35.

EDIT: Reading the whole thread now... even 6/48, even 6/60... 10 mill a year isn't going to cripple us.

Archived