I think we all need to calm down... This was a depth trade... nothing special. We gave up two players that most likely would of been cut by DD either after spring training or the draft. No big deal... carry on.

No offense, but why would these people be cut, exactly?

I know you like DD, but that shouldn't distort our valuation of the prospects. Each has flaws and limitations, but each also has legitimate tools and skills. This post condescends to those who actually follow prospects - ours and others'.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NOOOOOOO, NOT TYLER HENSON!!!!

(sorry, someone had to do it)

Not Henson! He was former top 20 prospects before he proved he couldn't hit! I can't beleive we gave up a C- relief prospect with major command issues and a D hitting prospect for a potential back of the rotation starter. What in the world is DD doing getting this garbage for players with UPSIDE!!!! ;)

Henson was probably never going to be anything, but he's four years younger than Eveland.

It's not that getting Dana Eveland is a terrible idea, it's the idea of giving anything up for Dana Eveland.

Henson is never going to do anything in the major leagues. He will be very fortunate if he gets a cup of coffee someday. I liked him as a younger player, and have followed him closely, and he just doesn't have major league skills in any area. I have no trouble giving him up as part of this deal.

I wish they'd make up their mind

@masnRoch Roch Kubatko

Double-A INF Greg Miclat PTBNL in Taylor Teagarden trade with Rangers. #orioles

@danconnollysun Dan Connolly

Orioles just announced that Tyler Henson, a former 5th rounder and 40-man guy also is in the Eveland deal

@danconnollysun Dan Connolly

Orioles just announced that Willie Eyre was designated for assignment and Greg Miclat is indeed the player to be named in #Rangers deal

@masnSteve Steve Melewski

Orioles deal official with Eveland for minor lgrs Jarret Martin & Tyler Henson. To make 40-man room, RHP W. Eyre is DFA.

Well, two are about Teagarden trade. One about Eveland. So that narrows it down to 2 competing stories, at least.

DRAMA QUEEN Thursday! Starring Sports Guy! Eveland is the worse pitcher in the world. He's obviously a bum. You can find ten guys like him on the trash heap every year.

Did i get all of that right? ;)

You need to chill. The chances of Martin staying healthy and finding his command are not very high. We basically got a guy who can compete for the 5th starters job on the cheap or at the very least, added starting pitching depth that's better than the Jo Jo Reyes and Jakabukuas' of the world.

Sorry but Eveland is garbage. This is a guy who has a career 5.52 ERA and 1.69 WHIP accomplished for the most part in divisions not call the AL East. This guy is not a meaningful upgrade in any way. Maybe he is like a few millimeters better than Jo-Jo or Jakabukuas but even that's questionable. Least those two guy we got for absolutely nothing. I realize that we did not give up any "real" prospects but really at the end of the day it really feels like we are just exchanging vomit bags. I do still hold out hope for now that there will be better and more substantial acquisitions made.

Lol I love these blow ups. Such hysteria over really nothing. I love all of the temper tantrums over moves that we will likely forget by the beginning of the season. But hey, it is pure entertainment. I think Tony ought to have an OH Fight Night and we get all of the internet bad asses in a ring and let them "Duquette" it out. I would pay cash money to see that :)

Lol I love these blow ups. Such hysteria over really nothing. I love all of the temper tantrums over moves that we will likely forget by the beginning of the season. But hey, it is pure entertainment. I think Tony ought to have an OH Fight Night and we get all of the internet bad asses in a ring and let them "Duquette" it out. I would pay cash money to see that :)

Some people can't stand their favorite team doing moronic things.

Other people enjoy their team doing moronic things.

When those 2 groups of people butt heads, this happens.

Do you recall if DD shipped out a lot of fringe type prospects that he determined probably wouldn't make it to the bigs?

Yes he did.. These were depth moves for guys who were good ballplayers, but not great and didn't stick around very long.. two of these guys are my good friends... but in the big picture it is what it is.

Brian Rose- July 27, 2000: Traded by the Boston Red Sox with Jeff Taglienti (minors), Jeff Frye and John Wasdin to the Colorado Rockies for Rolando Arrojo, Rich Croushore, Mike Lansing and cash.

Donnie Sadler- November 16, 2000: Traded by the Boston Red Sox with Michael Coleman to the Cincinnati Reds for Chris Stynes.

Carl Pavano

Carl, had a little more upside than the first two trades mentioned.. Look at the haul he brought in with Pavano

Carl Pavano-November 18, 1997: Traded by the Boston Red Sox with a player to be named later to the Montreal Expos for Pedro Martinez. The Boston Red Sox sent Tony Armas (December 18, 1997) to the Montreal Expos to complete the trade.

**Note** All the players mentioned from Boston were highly valued in the organization as prospects that DD gathered while there. He spun those guys to get either depth at the Big League level or to add a franchise piece. So you take these guys who internally were some of their top players, and you spin them for what the big league clubs needs. Just like he's mentioned in his interview. That's the point he will get to with the minor league situation.

Henson is never going to do anything in the major leagues. He will be very fortunate if he gets a cup of coffee someday. I liked him as a younger player, and have followed him closely, and he just doesn't have major league skills in any area. I have no trouble giving him up as part of this deal.

Yeah, I don't have any problem with dealing Henson, but dealing both him and Martin for Eveland is undervaluing both of them, in my opinion.

The problem isn't dealing Henson and Martin, nor is it dealing for Eveland. It's dealing Henson and Martin for Eveland. Nobody was upset with trading Hoey and Jacobson for Hardy, but they would have been if it had been for Cesar Izturis.

Just my opinion, but I think Martin has the best upside of the 5 players involved in both trades. We also don't know who the PTBNL in this deal is, either. I am not high on Miclat.

But what are the odds of him reaching that ceiling, or getting close?

I'm not a fan of giving up anything to acquire Dana Eveland. And all I know of Martin I've learned in the last five minutes. But he looks very simlar to about five other 2011 Shorebirds. And he's the one who pitched 110 innings and walked 65, hit 13 batters, threw 12 wild pitches and balked twice.

I guess I have to hope that DD knows every team has six Martins in low A, and that Eveland has changed something that made him interesting. With prior O's management you'd just assume this is trading a C- prospect for a bad player, but with a new GM you never know.

But what are the odds of him reaching that ceiling, or getting close?

I'm not a fan of giving up anything to acquire Dana Eveland. And all I know of Martin I've learned in the last five minutes. But he looks very simlar to about five other 2011 Shorebirds. And he's the one who pitched 110 innings and walked 65, hit 13 batters, threw 12 wild pitches and balked twice.

I guess I have to hope that DD knows every team has six Martins in low A, and that Eveland has changed something that made him interesting. With prior O's management you'd just assume this is trading a C- prospect for a bad player, but with a new GM you never know.

I really hope I never know, because if I know then that is a huge problem.

O's trade Tyler Henson and Jarret Martin for Dana Eveland.

Translation: O's get rid of two guys that they think will never amount to anything for a guy who will never amount to anything, but at higher levels.

There's no doubt in my mind that DD has been advised that Martin and Henson are guys who are minor league fodder. The odds of minor league fodder ever hitting are greater than zero, but probably pretty miniscule. The odds of Eveland hitting are greater than zero, but probably pretty miniscule + a miniscule amount on top.

I totally understand SG on this topic. I also understand Tony.

However, I honestly only care because we have nothing better to discuss right now.

Archived