• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nothing in that link says that the O's are sending Eveland elsewhere.

Yeah, unless I'm mistaken, I'm reading that as Eveland is a part of the Eveland trade. Roch was just saying Eveland was involved because maybe he thought there were some bigger pieces involved in the trade, like Eveland +. That's how I read it, but it isn't really clear.

I will hold my opinion until I find out what we gave up for him, but I would imagine that there will be value there. If we gave up someone like Martin for him I am going to lose my mind.

Well you and Sports Guy can go grab your pitchforks, but let me tell you a little something about Martin. He's got nice pure stuff, but the guy has very little command and almost no consistency. He doesn't repeat his mechanics well. I put him on the top 30 list because there's a chance he could end up a left-handed reliever if he finds his command, but the guy didn't have good command in high school so there's nothing to suggest he's going to suddenly get it.

For years the Orioles have held onto guys like this until they have no value, and now they start to trade these guys for guys with major league value and it's all pitch forks and torches. Eveland's stuff last year graded out better than most of the Orioles starters last year. His fastball command was much better and he's added a cutter. He's not a star by any means, but he's much better than Reyes and Tillman, two guys who as it stands now are in the running for a rotation spot next year.

It's not a mind-blowing get the playoff tickets move, but I see no reason to be concerned over moving Martin for him.

I wasn't trying to say this is a great move and I'm certainly not jumping up and down over this. Just stating a fact. 2011 was a good year for Eveland, much better than his MiL and ML previous numbers. The Albuquerque numbers are in a hitters park. That doesn't mean he'll be any good in 2012, but I'm curious as to why he had a significantly better year at both levels. Something a scout may have seen? Or simply experience paying off at the minor league level?

Whatever, you don't get it. YOU DON'T TRADE ANYTHING OF VALUE FOR A GUY THAT YOU CAN GET OFF THE SCRAP HEAP AT ANY POINT!

Do you think it is smart for this organization to do stupid things? Do you think we are going to advance in this division by being freaking morons?

No, I think you are dramatically overreacting, especially when the deal hasn't even been announced yet.

Well you and Sports Guy can go grab your pitchforks, but let me tell you a little something about Martin. He's got nice pure stuff, but the guy has very little command and almost no consistency. He doesn't repeat his mechanics well. I put him on the top 30 list because there's a chance he could end up a left-handed reliever if he finds his command, but the guy didn't have good command in high school so there's nothing to suggest he's going to suddenly get it.

For years the Orioles have held onto guys like this until they have no value, and now they start to trade these guys for guys with major league value and it's all pitch forks and torches. Eveland's stuff last year graded out better than most of the Orioles starters last year. His fastball command was much better and he's added a cutter. He's not a star by any means, but he's much better than Reyes and Tillman, two guys who as it stands now are in the running for a rotation spot next year.

It's not a mind-blowing get the playoff tickets move, but I see no reason to be concerned over moving Martin for him.

I agree. This has been an interesting case study on folks being way to overly enamored with prospects. But I can't blame anyone considering that's been our only hope for almost two decades now.

I would generally agree with this, except we've now given up a total of four prospects, at least there of which had upside and one of whom had possible near-term MLB value for a back-up catcher and a journeyman LHP w/ the resume of Brian Burres.

Only thing I can speculate is that maybe someone in the organization (Adair? Castro?) has seen something out of Eveland that they think they can mold into a good pitcher. But it's hard to see what the O's will get out of Eveland that 6 previous organizations haven't.

I agree. This has been an interesting case study on folks being way to overly enamored with prospects. But I can't blame anyone considering that's been our only hope for almost two decades now.

This has nothing to do with being enamored by prospects.

This has everything to do with intelligent decision making.

You do not trade young players who could potentially hold some value for total garbage...garbage that you can acquire for free at any point in time.

That's what this is about. Its about not being a moron. Its about not making dumb decisions over and over and over again.

The Orioles have acquired 2 crappy players for 4 players and you can argue that all 4 players we gave up are more valuable than the any of the 2 we gave up for Hardy last year.

You just do not make moves like this. If you want to add Eveland as a NT MiL FA signing to compete for a spot on the team, fine. But to trade ANYTHING for him? That's just stupid.

Archived