Why would you go get a guy like Eveland to flip in another deal? No one would want him!

DRAMA QUEEN Thursday! Starring Sports Guy! Eveland is the worse pitcher in the world. He's obviously a bum. You can find ten guys like him on the trash heap every year.

Did i get all of that right? ;)

You need to chill. The chances of Martin staying healthy and finding his command are not very high. We basically got a guy who can compete for the 5th starters job on the cheap or at the very least, added starting pitching depth that's better than the Jo Jo Reyes and Jakabukuas' of the world.

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well you and Sports Guy can go grab your pitchforks, but let me tell you a little something about Martin. He's got nice pure stuff, but the guy has very little command and almost no consistency. He doesn't repeat his mechanics well. I put him on the top 30 list because there's a chance he could end up a left-handed reliever if he finds his command, but the guy didn't have good command in high school so there's nothing to suggest he's going to suddenly get it.

For years the Orioles have held onto guys like this until they have no value, and now they start to trade these guys for guys with major league value and it's all pitch forks and torches. Eveland's stuff last year graded out better than most of the Orioles starters last year. His fastball command was much better and he's added a cutter. He's not a star by any means, but he's much better than Reyes and Tillman, two guys who as it stands now are in the running for a rotation spot next year.

It's not a mind-blowing get the playoff tickets move, but I see no reason to be concerned over moving Martin for him.

I have no idea about Martin or how good he is but Eveland is the typical 5th starter type who pitches on a last place team. I would see him more as a long reliever or mop up guy.

DRAMA QUEEN Thursday! Starring Sports Guy! Eveland is the worse pitcher in the world. He's obviously a bum. You can find ten guys like him on the trash heap every year.

You need to chill. The chances of Martin staying healthy and finding his command are not very high. We basically got a guy who can compete for the 5th starters job on the cheap or at the very least, added starting pitching depth that's better than the Jo Jo Reyes and Jakabukuas' of the world.

Tony, you are just compeltely wrong about this. I mean, ridiculously, Jen Royle-esque wrong.

You do not trade value, whether its very tiny or enormious value, for garbage like this.

This has nothing to do with being enamored by prospects.

This has everything to do with intelligent decision making.

You do not trade young players who could potentially hold some value for total garbage...garbage that you can acquire for free at any point in time.

That's what this is about. Its about not being a moron. Its about not making dumb decisions over and over and over again.

The Orioles have acquired 2 crappy players for 4 players and you can argue that all 4 players we gave up are more valuable than the any of the 2 we gave up for Hardy last year.

You just do not make moves like this. If you want to add Eveland as a NT MiL FA signing to compete for a spot on the team, fine. But to trade ANYTHING for him? That's just stupid.

But that's the thing. All you know about these prospects is their name and some stats, have you ever really seen any of them live? I don't mind if the O's have determined that they won't amount to anything and are shipping them off as fodder. You have to call a spade a spade, if Duq doesn't believe in them then in his eyes he's not losing anything. I agree with the logic, but there is nothing "absolute" with prospects. There are so many varying opinions, especially when you get past the initial top 10 or so in every organization. After that you see a lot of volatility between other publications prospect rankings, etc., and you just have to hope the O's have properly evaluated first hand this guy's potential, work ethic, personality traits, etc., and acted accordingly. Tony made some great points, what do you have to say about what he said?

Only thing I can speculate is that maybe someone in the organization (Adair? Castro?) has seen something out of Eveland that they think they can mold into a good pitcher. But it's hard to see what the O's will get out of Eveland that 6 previous organizations haven't.

Eveland had a decent year last year. The Dodgers still traded him for minimal returns. If the Orioles had Eveland last year, they'd pencil him in the rotation. That is the difference between the Orioles and most other teams. They aren't fooled by SSS success.

Eveland's stuff last year graded out better than most of the Orioles starters last year. His fastball command was much better and he's added a cutter. He's not a star by any means, but he's much better than Reyes and Tillman, two guys who as it stands now are in the running for a rotation spot next year.

Tony - just curious, where are you getting this scouting report on Eveland?

I will keep an open mind about this. If things break right, Eveland could be in the 4th/5th spot in our rotation. It is more likely that he doesn't, but ends up a guy who is AAA depth and gets a call-up at some point when another starter falters or gets hurt.

Why would you give up ANYTHING for him? I don't care if they traded a 26 y/o single A pitcher. Just out of principle, why would you trade anything for a guy this bad?

:agree:

How is this guy that much of an upgrade over the trash pile of castoff pitchers we picked up last year? Not to mention the fact as you said above we actually TRADED something for him??? Really??? Unless they took Kevin Gregg off our hands (salary) that's just stupid.

But that's the thing. All you know about these prospects is their name and some stats, have you ever really seen any of them live? I don't mind if the O's have determined that they won't amount to anything and are shipping them off as fodder. You have to call a spade a spade, if Duq doesn't believe in them then in his eyes he's not losing anything. I agree with the logic, but there is nothing "absolute" with prospects. There are so many varying opinions, especially when you get past the initial top 10 or so in every organization. After that you see a lot of volatility between other publications prospect rankings, etc., and you just have to hope the O's have properly evaluated first hand this guy's potential, work ethic, personality traits, etc., and acted accordingly. Tony made some great points, what do you have to say about what he said?

I don't care if Jarrett Martin hits the freaking bull every 5th pitch.

You do not give up any value whatsoever for a garbage, go no where pitcher like Eveland.

You trade martin for something else if you don't like him.

Even factoring in that Miclat may be the PTBNL for Teagarden?

Just my opinion, but I think Martin has the best upside of the 5 players involved in both trades. We also don't know who the PTBNL in this deal is, either. I am not high on Miclat.

Eveland

5.52 ERA

1.69 WHIP

4.5 BB/9

5.9 K/9

Reyes

6.05 ERA

1.63 WHIP

3.9 BB/9

5.8 K/9

Jakubauskus

5.58 ERA

1.45 WHIP

3.0 BB/9

5.4 K/9

Tony, we just traded for a JoJo Reyes and Chris Jakubausku clone. 29.2 IP of decent baseball doesn't make Eveland any better than either of those guys.

Tony, you are just compeltely wrong about this. I mean, ridiculously, Jen Royle-esque wrong.

You do not trade value, whether its very tiny or enormious value, for garbage like this.

Wow, that's pretty wrong. Where was your outrage when we had Jo Jo Reyes starting for us last year? Eveland is not garbage and you are being ridiculously childish in this thread. When was the last time you seen him pitch? Give me your personal scouting reports of his stuff? Oh wait, you can't. But you have no problem going off on these childish rants where you call guys garbage and trash and everything else. By the way superstar, Eveland was in the major leagues at the same age of Martin.

Archived