• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not Henson! He was former top 20 prospects before he proved he couldn't hit! I can't beleive we gave up a C- relief prospect with major command issues and a D hitting prospect for a potential back of the rotation starter. What in the world is DD doing getting this garbage for players with UPSIDE!!!! ;)

I guess I have to hit the I believe button and hope Eveland has fixed something, but he still had an ERA over 4.00 as a 27-year-old in the PCL last year. Henson and Martin are overwhelmingly likely to not be anything, but why Eveland? Couldn't they have just waited until he was cut in the spring? I have to think DD or a scout saw something specific that made him go after this specific guy.

Eveland is 19-54 with a 5.52 ERA and a 1.69 WHIP in 100 games, including 59 starts, in his major league career.

I know that record is not everything, but how many guys with a 19-54 record ever amounted to anything?

Not sure where you're getting your info, but it's wrong. He's 19-24 in the ML, but 51-34 in the minors.

Though his peripherals are awful, Eveland has posted a 4.38 FIP (4.70 xFIP) and 3.9 fWAR in 360.1 ML innings. He has value, certainly, how much our coaching staff will be able to extrac... I have no idea.

That being said, I really wish we would have gotten Kevin Slowey. I was glad to hear we were in on him but Eveland is a disappointing consolation prize. Hopefully later this afternoon we pick up Kendrys Morales for very little.

As far I can tell, we're just trading C-grade prospects for AAAA depth. Martin and Henry were both guys who were at times great, at times awful, and inconsistent always. If anything, the organization has been long overdue to sweep out the dregs and get quality pitching depth flowing throughout the system. Eveland isn't much, but in a pinch is a nice way to add depth.

The whole thing about being a non-tender candidate... maybe the Orioles sensed that they were not the only team in on him and decided to be aggressive about it.

Some people can't stand their favorite team doing moronic things.

Other people enjoy their team doing moronic things.

When those 2 groups of people butt heads, this happens.

:rolleyes:

This kind of comment is unnecessary. Nobody enjoys when their team does moronic things. But-- stay with me here-- people can have differing opinions on whether something is moronic. I know it's shocking that two people could look at the same thing and see it differently, but it's true!

Yeah, I don't have any problem with dealing Henson, but dealing both him and Martin for Eveland is undervaluing both of them, in my opinion.

The problem isn't dealing Henson and Martin, nor is it dealing for Eveland. It's dealing Henson and Martin for Eveland. Nobody was upset with trading Hoey and Jacobson for Hardy, but they would have been if it had been for Cesar Izturis.

I tend not to get upset over trades like these, because I just don't know much about the players. I tend to judge them in hindsight rather than judging them when they are made, because I don't know what they like about Eveland or don't like about Martin (or Henson, to the extent he is relevant).

I will offer this observation, though: we were woefully thin on pitching last year, and having some guys like Eveland competing for spots and maybe parked at AAA is a good thing.

Some people can't stand their favorite team doing moronic things.

Other people enjoy their team doing moronic things.

When those 2 groups of people butt heads, this happens.

I have no problem with a GM coming in and cutting what he and his scouts believe to be dead weight. Especially, if he feels he can get something of use, such as depth, for it. It is my opinion that this is what is happening and not representative of any incompetence on Duquette's part.

But what are the odds of him reaching that ceiling, or getting close?

I'm not a fan of giving up anything to acquire Dana Eveland. And all I know of Martin I've learned in the last five minutes. But he looks very simlar to about five other 2011 Shorebirds. And he's the one who pitched 110 innings and walked 65, hit 13 batters, threw 12 wild pitches and balked twice.

I guess I have to hope that DD knows every team has six Martins in low A, and that Eveland has changed something that made him interesting. With prior O's management you'd just assume this is trading a C- prospect for a bad player, but with a new GM you never know.

Not good, admittedly. He is a bit of a mechanical mess. He'd need to fix something to stick in a rotation, though he could be a solid reliever even with the command issues.

I find it much, much harder to believe that Dana Eveland, at the age of 28, has fixed something. I think this was just a guy Castro liked and Duquette went after him for that reason. I'm not up in arms about this, but I don't think one needs to give up anything of substance for 28 year old DFA candidates with career ERAs in the mid-fives.

I've just had my eye on Martin since he was drafted and it's annoying to see him shipped off for a guy I'm confident will have little consequence on an Orioles squad that will be lucky to reach .500.

I will offer this observation, though: we were woefully thin on pitching last year, and having some guys like Eveland competing for spots and maybe parked at AAA is a good thing.

Eh, I feel like we've made similar signings/transactions in the past to put guys at AAA, and it usually ends the same way. If Eveland is needed, he'll come up, pitch to a 5.5 + ERA in the east, be waived in the middle of the season, and next year we'll talk about how whoever we get will at least be better than Eveland.

I am not that bummed on losing Martin or Henson, it's just a pointless move IMO.

Not good, admittedly. He is a bit of a mechanical mess. He'd need to fix something to stick in a rotation, though he could be a solid reliever even with the command issues.

I find it much, much harder to believe that Dana Eveland, at the age of 28, has fixed something. I think this was just a guy Castro liked and Duquette went after him for that reason. I'm not up in arms about this, but I don't think one needs to give up anything of substance for 28 year old DFA candidates with career ERAs in the mid-fives.

I've just had my eye on Martin since he was drafted and it's annoying to see him shipped off for a guy I'm confident will have little consequence on an Orioles squad that will be lucky to reach .500.

While I share your concerns, it's also true that sometimes pitchers, especially lefties, find something after bouncing around. Bruce Chen is the guy who comes to mind -- how many times has he been left for dead? (I will grant you that Chen had a better track record than Eveland, but he still illustrates the uncertainty of it all.)

Archived