Orioles closing in on Japanese lefty Tsuyoshi Wada (Update: Wada is signed)

praveen520

They wouldn't pay him that contract as a reliever, would they?

Well they paid more for Koji. They intended for Koji to be a starter but he showed to be better suited for relief in the long run. I would guess they intend to make Wada a starter but, in reality, it remains to be seen where he'll best be able to help the team, IMO.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't worry too much about ST stats, but the coaches can see who is throwing well and who isn't. If Matusz looks like he looked in the Spring of 2010, I suspect he'll be in the rotation. If he's struggling with velocity or command, then he won't. Nobody's going to put him in the rotation if he isn't looking sharp, after last year's debacle.

If Matusz looks like he did last year he won't even make it in AAA. If it's that bad, then maybe he pulled a Rick Ankiel and he's just completely lost it. Honestly what's another 9 starts of 3.46 ERA at AAA really going to tell us about this guy. He's a guy that I'd be handing a spot to this year and challenging him to grow from last year.

The rotation is starting to look pretty crowded and I like it!

You think Wada has been promised a spot in the rotation? I know all signs point to him being a starter, so what I mean by that is do you think he could start out at AAA? Is that even possible with these kind of signings?

I'm for adding Wada and Chen, keeping Guts and sending BM to Seattle in a deal for Smoak. I may want to wait and see if we've won the Darvish bid (:) ) on Thursday before pulling that trigger.

Like Matusz, Smoak's star is fading. Unlike Matusz, part of Smoak's value was tied to his defense, and reports are that he's nowhere near the defender he had been billed as. So now, his bat has to progress for him to provide any real value. Conversely, Matusz simply needs to become the guy he was before to provide real value. Plus, Matusz is a pitcher.

I'd still like to get Smoak, but Matusz would be too much, IMO.

By the way, we sure did pay this pitcher a Wada money. :wedge:

You mean for the O's or for any other team in baseball? You know they are different right? No one wants to come to the O's.

Yes I do. I understand that we have to overpay to get guys to come to Baltimore. I also understand that it was going to take a decent amount to get him to leave Japan.

Overall I think it's a good deal and I'm looking forward to seeing him pitch.

Maybe this signing will open the door to our new Outfielder?

marbles3.jpg

Archived