Edwin Jackson: Interested?

SilentJames

If we trade for Feldman/Koji that opens a spot for Oswalt in Texas. Which should make EJack an option in Boston.

So.. Ejack or Feldman or Burnett?

I like this plan as well. If we were to send Gregg and Bergesen, then TEX would still be dumping around 5M and we would only be speneding about 5M total.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like this plan as well. If we were to send Gregg and Bergesen, then TEX would still be dumping around 5M and we would only be speneding about 5M total.

You could be right. Here is the latest from MLBTR.com

Latest On Roy Oswalt

By Ben Nicholson-Smith [January 25 at 1:33pm CST]

1:33pm: The Red Sox made Oswalt an offer, but are unsure of his interest level, since he has yet to accept, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com tweets.

8:13am: Now that Prince Fielder has agreed to terms with the Tigers, Edwin Jackson and Roy Oswalt are the top unsigned free agents. It wouldn’t surprise many if Oswalt, who now seeks a one-year deal, signs in Boston, but two general managers think he wants to join the Rangers and another says he’d like to sign in St. Louis, tweets Peter Gammons of MLB Network.

Oswalt would like to join Mike Maddux and Nolan Ryan with the Rangers, Gammons reports. However, both of last year’s World Series teams enter the 2012 season will rotations that appear to be full.

That's a little twisted, because while yes, I think 4.20 ERA is a good place to set the under/over for Jackson the Oriole, this is not the correct way to analyze things. Either Guthrie does have some ability to outperform his peripherals (I'm open-minded but skeptical) or he's been a little bit fortunate to do so.

If Guthrie's been lucky, then it does make sense to pay more for a pitcher whose average case is, say, 4.20 ERA with matching FIP than we did for Guthrie, if you assume that his average case would have been his 4.68 FIP. Even though Guthrie did perform better, in this scenario he got lucky. You should expect to pay more for a more accurate gun even if the musket you used for the past five years was uncannily accurate.

And if Guthrie hasn't been lucky, meaning his true talent is his ERA and not his FIP...then 4/40 would be a great bargain for the last four years of his production.

I mean, 4/40 would just be a great deal for 4 seasons of 4.20 ERA in the AL East. And I think that's a reasonable projection.

You are missing my point.

All I am saying is that I wouldn't pay EJack 40-50M over the next 4 years to essentially give us the same numbers Guthrie has.

Its not worth it to me.

If we can do it for 3 years at say 30M or less, then I can see that.

All I am saying is that I wouldn't pay EJack 40-50M over the next 4 years to essentially give us the same numbers Guthrie has.

Its not worth it to me.

This goes backto my main point...The Orioles will never be the top bidder on any top player as they will always comeup with something like this. There will always be a team willing to pay more. At some point you just have to take a chance or you will never have a top guy.

This goes backto my main point...The Orioles will never be the top bidder on any top player as they will always comeup with something like this. There will always be a team willing to pay more. At some point you just have to take a chance or you will never have a top guy.

But that point shouldn't be when you aren't good and when you aren't really bringing in a difference making talent.

Its not worth it to me.

Right, and I'm saying that 40M over the next four years would in fact be a good buy for the numbers Guthrie gave us. I'd probably go as high as 4/44Mish.

Right, and I'm saying that 40M over the next four years would in fact be a good buy for the numbers Guthrie gave us. I'd probably go as high as 4/44Mish.

Except if offense continues to be supressed, than those numbers become easier to find for less money and commitment.

I'm willing to bet whoever signs Jackson will be disappointed. I truely don't understand the hype about this guy.
Look at his numbers over the past 3 years. He's not the second coming of Bob Feller but he's a solid pitcher. who's been worth 3.5 WAR or better the past 3 years. He had a reputation as a party guy, early in his career, much like Cano, but since he got married he seems to have matured and has been much more cvonsistent as a pitcher.

Archived