MLB Network discusses Fielder to Nationals

BilboBaggins

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand the wager-posturing, but I do think it's unlikely that the Yankees will sign Fielder. It's not a matter of cash (NY certainly has the wherewithal), IMO, so much as a matter of fit.

Sorry... it's just a bet. Put your money where your mouth is. I don't expect him to respond. But no way the Yanks sign Fielder. So many reasons not to. Is this taboo on the boards? Just wagering a bet I know I will win.

Has anyone seen Prince this off season? Any photos? If he lost 30 pounds he would look more like an athlete and more teams would be lining up for him. I cannot see Prince being a DH in NY or splitting time with MT. If it happens I think both of them will try to out do each other and both will have bad seasons compared to past seasons. If this is now down to years it's definitely an AL team due to the probable need to DH him more in a few years. To over pay him to get him to DC would be a big gamble when they can sign Pena for a lot less money and he will only hit about 10 less HR'S than Prince.

I think this is the week for a couple of these big signings to happen. Get it done and move on. He would help the Orioles batting 4th in our lineup but I'm not going overboard for him. The uncertainty with Reynolds moving back to 3B complicates things a little bit. Should we leave Reynolds at 1B and get a 3B or open the vault for Prince because he is a marquee name that would help sell tickets and give the lineup more credibility? It's not an easy decision for DD and PA. As I've said previously I don't see PA owning the team more than 3 more years so he is only going to pay half of his salary. I wonder if PA has thought about that? Think about it.......if we sign him for 6 years and he flops what are you going to do especially if there is a no trade clause or limited NT? NY, Boston, LA, Chicago and other big market cities won't touch him and we'll be stuck with him.

Maybe with the Angels about to sign Cantu they would deal Kendrick who just extended for 4 yrs at $33.5 mill I believe. AJ and Guthrie to the Angels for Kendrick, Bourjos and Morales.

WTF? Did I miss some memo. Is this "dump on Sammy" day? The MFYs have a much better chance of signing "that guy" than the O's. I don't care where he goes, hopefully far away. Are we not kindred spirits here?

Sammy is a Kindred spirit. And Gambling is illegal.

Sorry... it's just a bet. Put your money where your mouth is. I don't expect him to respond. But no way the Yanks sign Fielder. So many reasons not to. Is this taboo on the boards? Just wagering a bet I know I will win.

Sammy is a good guy. He is entitled to his belief. I believe that the Yankees have a much greater chance of signing Fielder than Baltimore. But I am often wrong.

Has anyone seen Prince this off season? Any photos? If he lost 30 pounds he would look more like an athlete and more teams would be lining up for him. I cannot see Prince being a DH in NY or splitting time with MT. If it happens I think both of them will try to out do each other and both will have bad seasons compared to past seasons. If this is now down to years it's definitely an AL team due to the probable need to DH him more in a few years. To over pay him to get him to DC would be a big gamble when they can sign Pena for a lot less money and he will only hit about 10 less HR'S than Prince.

I think this is the week for a couple of these big signings to happen. Get it done and move on. He would help the Orioles batting 4th in our lineup but I'm not going overboard for him. The uncertainty with Reynolds moving back to 3B complicates things a little bit. Should we leave Reynolds at 1B and get a 3B or open the vault for Prince because he is a marquee name that would help sell tickets and give the lineup more credibility? It's not an easy decision for DD and PA. As I've said previously I don't see PA owning the team more than 3 more years so he is only going to pay half of his salary. I wonder if PA has thought about that? Think about it.......if we sign him for 6 years and he flops what are you going to do especially if there is a no trade clause or limited NT? NY, Boston, LA, Chicago and other big market cities won't touch him and we'll be stuck with him.

Maybe with the Angels about to sign Cantu they would deal Kendrick who just extended for 4 yrs at $33.5 mill I believe. AJ and Guthrie to the Angels for Kendrick, Bourjos and Morales.

They carried on about his baggy shirt thing and someone was going on about having seen him in the shower and he is not fat, but those things are simple deflections for the real issue. He carries a lot of weight and it will damage his knees.

Random bets all the time, but including money in the equation changes things. That is frowned on.

That said, you will win. The Yanks are on a hard budget number right now, and had to get special approval from the owners to sign Kuroda before they moved money to pay for him. They are trying to salary dump AJ right now. I can't see TEX signing both Fielder and Darvish, so my money is on SEA, TOR, or (I hate myself for saying this) the O's if his price drops enough.

Honestly I don't see the Nats in on Fielder unless they can get him for 20 mil for 5 years. The Werth contract is crippling the franchise. They have to extend both Zimmerman's (I know one is spelled differently) and you have to imagine that they'll want to pull a Longoria and sign Strasburg and Harper pretty soon. Payroll is going UP very quickly and with Fielder they'd be way beyond their means.

From all reports, the Nats are expecting a large influx of money from MASN.....so realistically they could afford Fielder AND Zimmerman.

Heck, we're talking about the wealthiest owners in baseball.

The real question is whether they're willing to spend the cash.

From all reports, the Nats are expecting a large influx of money from MASN.....so realistically they could afford Fielder AND Zimmerman.

Heck, we're talking about the wealthiest owners in baseball.

The real question is whether they're willing to spend the cash.

Who brought up the Mariners?

The Mariners are clearly out of the running with the Yanks trade yesterday....They now have a logjam at DH/1st JM is more of a 1st baseman than a catcher at this point...Seems like the Rangers and Nats are the only real options left for PF's big payday....I wish I could say the O's but I just can't see it, although PA seems to love guys who don't get hurt and thats Fielder so far in his career to a tee.

The Mariners are clearly out of the running with the Yanks trade yesterday....They now have a logjam at DH/1st JM is more of a 1st baseman than a catcher at this point...Seems like the Rangers and Nats are the only real options left for PF's big payday....I wish I could say the O's but I just can't see it, although PA seems to love guys who don't get hurt and thats Fielder so far in his career to a tee.

The M's aren't clearly out...They could deal Smoak if they feel Fielder is the better player now and going forward.

The problem is, the likely limit to where the O's will go is what the better teams will give him...the Orioles have to go above that and they won't in all likelihood.

Archived