Update on Jones to the Braves for Jurrjens, Prado, Plus

Roll Tide

Not trying to pick sides, but you should probably tone it down a little, Johnny. Is he undervaluing Jones a little? Probably. Are we overvaluing Jones a little? Probably.

Just because he's a fan of another team doesn't mean he's not welcome to post here. Personally, I appreciate the different opinion, especially since it's coming from someone who's pretty knowledgeable and articulate in their responses.

Just my two cents.

Second this.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Absolutely not, the Braves value Terd more than Perez. He's the guy slated to play 3B in 2014 after Chipper retires this year, and Prado is let go after 2013. Or if Prado ends up getting traded, the Braves could even push him to be that guy in 2013.

Hey...if you hit reply with quote at the bottom of someone else's post, you'll be able to see the full quote and the author. I think you're copying and pasting, or something.

I'm surprised if you all value Terd... over Perez, but that's fine. I've read that Terd is a bad-fielding 1B, not a future answer at 3B. At the plate, I've heard he has great power but a pretty poor approach. It would surprise me if you're penciling him in, but I'm not nearly as close to the Braves as you.

BA has Salcedo playing 3B in 2015. Maybe Terd is the bridge?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2012/2612549.html

[by the way, Terd isn't meant to be mean. I just don't know his full name w/o looking it up every time.]

I appreciate it guys :beerchug1:

As I said, I was really surprised by all the intelligent baseball posters on here. I can not say the same about most Braves fans I come across, unfortunately.

There's some great folks here. (Just don't say anything about signing high quality free agents by spending money) :cool:

Seriously though, if Jones goes I will be terribly upset because he's a decent guy and a good player. I don't know how getting Braves pitchers helps us because in the end, I feel we're going to be fleeced.

I'll give you this Johnny, one of the admins did agree with you :laughlol:

eta: If you thought I was trolling, I apologize, but I assure you I wasn't. Everything I say is just my opinion. I understand most here aren't going to agree with it.

I'm not trying to go to war with you here. The fact that you are here as a visitor from another teams fan base is well pretty cool. I just dont see the Orioles giving up Jones and maybe Andino for Prado/Jurrjens and lesser prospects. I dont expect the Braves to give up the house as I think Wren is a good GM.

Have I been a troll before? No, it's only you thinking that. Just got tired of your constant bashes on me with no real substance.

As for talkingchop, some good blogs but it's a terrible layout to post on. I go elsewhere for Braves talk.

I don't think you are a troll. You have simply been representing the Braves party line in this deal. I would be interested to know what you would be willing to offer for Jones since you have indicated some differences with the FO stance.

From what I'm hearing, he (Adam) thinks a deal is getting done fairly quickly. When I talked to him, he said that he has nothing against Baltimore, he broke on to the scene with them, and he WOULD extend. He loves Baltimore, it's his second home, and he loves the fans. However, he said that he believe that the organization needs to do better as a whole to bridge the gap from losing to winning fairly quickly. To compliment Trea's statements, Jones said, (paraphrasing), "You know, we are all at that age where we will be hitting out peak years, and this is our time to shine. We need a bat, and a few more pitchers, and I think we can do it. You'll see how special our young pitching is soon."

That's all I have for now.

Will try to get more hen I talk to him tomorrow.

BTW, when I asked his mom about the trade talks, she said "No comment, but things are moving fast, and I'm trying to keep up with it."

No comment, but here's a comment. I think she doesn't understand the concept of no comment :)

I'm curious...but why? Do you think Delgado is the lesser of the two, thus the one the Braves are more willing to give up?
Minor figures to have a higher upside than Beachy and will be in their rotation next season. I prefer Delgado because he is some one we could put in Norfolk to have in ready when someone in our rotation falters. He is under control and could figure in our future long term. JJ and Parado don't.They are useful short term and could be flipped at the deadline if necessary.

Isnt Delgado likely to end up a reliever? Thats what I believe is the difference.

I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable answers this. Here's my (possibly incorrect) understanding of their prospects and how they rank.

1. Teheran - untouchable SP. TOR potential in the near term.

2. Beachy - already established SP. Misses bats. Probably too important and cheap to trade now.

3. Minor - Next in line after Beachy, mostly because he's a little behind him. Has 2/3 potential and good probability.

4. Delgado - Not exactly sure on upside, but behind Minor in his development, so not being relied upon for this year's rotation.

5. Vizcaino - great arm that's also a little behind in development. Most likely to end up in the pen right now.

Others should feel free to correct any of this, minus #1. :)

Hey...if you hit reply with quote at the bottom of someone else's post, you'll be able to see the full quote and the author. I think you're copying and pasting, or something.

I'm surprised if you all value Terd... over Perez, but that's fine. I've read that Terd is a bad-fielding 1B, not a future answer at 3B. At the plate, I've heard he has great power but a pretty poor approach. It would surprise me if you're penciling him in, but I'm not nearly as close to the Braves as you.

BA has Salcedo playing 3B in 2015. Maybe Terd is the bridge?

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/rankings/organization-top-10-prospects/2012/2612549.html

[by the way, Terd isn't meant to be mean. I just don't know his full name w/o looking it up every time.]

Thanks for the heads up on the quote thing.

And I definitely agree with you on his defense. Right now it's terrible and from the sound of it, there's not much room for growth. With that being said, the Braves have already announced that he will be moving to 3B this season to give him every opportunity to be ready to take over after Prado. It's yet to be seen if he'll be able to do that but if he can just give slightly below average defense, hopefully his offense will carry him enough to be productive at the position until there's someone better that could be found. He's basically being forced over there at the moment.

As for Salcedo, he's definitely looked upon as the long term answer and has all the tools to be an all-star type player. He was a very streaky hitter this year and was up around a .300 average for most of the year but tanked hard the last month and a half or so and that dropped big time. This year will be HUGE for him as his development as a player. Needs to show more consistency. Also, while he has all the tools to be a very good defensive 3B, he hasn't showed it yet. He had 40 errors this past year, but people still believe in his glove. He's a wildcard that the Braves are really hoping works out.

I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable answers this. Here's my (possibly incorrect) understanding of their prospects and how they rank.

1. Teheran - untouchable SP. TOR potential in the near term.

2. Beachy - already established SP. Misses bats. Probably too important and cheap to trade now.

3. Minor - Next in line after Beachy, mostly because he's a little behind him. Has 2/3 potential and good probability.

4. Delgado - Not exactly sure on upside, but behind Minor in his development, so not being relied upon for this year's rotation.

5. Vizcaino - great arm that's also a little behind in development. Most likely to end up in the pen right now.

Others should feel free to correct any of this, minus #1. :)

.#22 Randall Delgado SP ATL – Another talented young Braves righty, Delgado is a step behind Teheran in every facet but still has plus tools at his disposal and might be the better bet to remain in the rotation. While Teheran has #1 stuff, Delgado has #2 stuff with a better bet long term to fulfill his potential.

They had this to say

It is starting to become harder to ignore that Delgado’s components are dropping as he moves up levels. His K/9 has gone from over 9 in High-A ball to 8.4 in AA this year. Over the same time frame, Delgado’s FIP has risen from a 2.93 to a 3.82. Now, of course it only makes sense that pitching gets more difficult as you move up in levels.

Stuff-wise, Delgado throws a fastball, curveball, and changeup. The fastball is a plus pitch that sits in the low-to-mid 90s. The curveball and change have plus potential but aren’t there yet

http://baseballinstinct.com/2011/08/16/prospect-instinct-randall-delgado-sp-atlanta-braves/

I just dont see the Orioles giving up Jones and maybe Andino for Prado/Jurrjens and lesser prospects. I dont expect the Braves to give up the house as I think Wren is a good GM.

I don't either. Thus why there is a stand still at the moment. One of the GM's are going to have to budge from their stance.

I really feel that a deal will not be made between the two teams. We'll see as Spring Training gets closer if one of the teams start to panic a bit. It'll at least be interesting to keep an eye on and it's nice having something to talk about. This has been the quietest offseason maybe ever for the Braves. We're one of like 3 teams that have not signed a single Free Agent this year.

I don't think you are a troll. You have simply been representing the Braves party line in this deal. I would be interested to know what you would be willing to offer for Jones since you have indicated some differences with the FO stance.

Not many people are going to like this, and I won't say whether I agree with this or not, but from everything I have read I feel the Braves are offering something along the lines of:

Jurrjens

Medlen - very underrated pitcher and has had success, but doesn't have the same stuff as some of the other guys, and is coming off TJ Surgery

Salcedo - Potential all star but has yet to hit his stride. He would be coming up around the same time as Machado.

Carlos Perez/Spruill/Hoover - With the exception of Hoover who is almost major league ready, these would all be guys that hang around the Braves' top 10 prospects but are young and will take time to develop.

Archived