Connolly: O's still looking to acquire bat

Os84

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the O's add another bat, ideally it would be someone who can hit lefties and can platoon with Betemit at DH. Hopefully not Manny, though. Maybe the O's would take a chance on Magglio.

This is what I was thinking. This only makes sense if it's someone to platoon w/ Betemit at DH and doesn't take significant ABs away from Reimold or Davis. Other than Manny or Ordonez, the only other RH bats still out there are Nady and Conor Jackson. Not sure those two are any better options than Jai Miller. Jonny Gomes would have been a good choice.

I can definitely see a Man-Ram, Cepedes scenario...

Get Cepedes, give him 50 games to see what you got.. if he's a flop, insert Manny being Manny...

I don't have a problem with having a guy like that if he can still swing the bat. Because I know putting anyone from this lineup in the 3-hole isn't going to work.:smile11:

This is what I was thinking. This only makes sense if it's someone to platoon w/ Betemit at DH and doesn't take significant ABs away from Reimold or Davis. Other than Manny or Ordonez, the only other RH bats still out there are Nady and Conor Jackson. Not sure those two are any better options than Jai Miller. Jonny Gomes would have been a good choice.
Don't forget Marcus Thames who has made a career of mashing LH SP, and probably would be the cheapest of the bunch and maybe take a MiL contract.

You know he is an Oriole. Embrace it. You can tell your grandchildren about it.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qbY1dTVwRyI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seriously doubt that he pulls off the high-five without PEDs.

I can definitely see a Man-Ram, Cepedes scenario...

Get Cepedes, give him 50 games to see what you got.. if he's a flop, insert Manny being Manny...

I don't have a problem with having a guy like that if he can still swing the bat. Because I know putting anyone from this lineup in the 3-hole isn't going to work.:smile11:

You seem heavily invested in the idea of line up placement. You must know that the cognoscenti here frown on that notion. Since you actually have some experience in professional baseball, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on protection and placement in the batting order. Why do baseball people give it such imprortance, when the numbers would indicate it makes little difference?

I know he is injured and 38 years old... but how cheaply could we get Magglio? He had by far the worst year of his career last year, but he still hit lefties decently: .716 OPS in 130 AB's. And if you look at the past three years: .902 OPS in 345 AB's (.392 OBP) That's not too shabby. I'd offer a one-year deal for a million or two to see if he would be willing to platoon with Betemit.

Only potential impact bat is David Wright who will need to move to 1B anyway...

I think we can get him without dealing Machado.

It is probably more likely that we get a "bat" from FA rather than a trade. At least that is the impression Connolly is getting. Don't get your hopes up on getting Wright. I would say slim chance that happens.

I sent a tweet to Encina asking about possible interest in Damon, Matsui, Ibanez, and Ordonez. He doesn't think the O's have much interest in Damon or Matsui, and he hasn't heard anything on the other two. So, hopefully we can cross Damon and Matsui off of the list.

Archived