Options left for all members of the 40-man roster

Oldorioles

Flaherty does have the three options, if he remains with the O's on the ML roster they keep him and the options. If not, he's returned to the Cubbies, unless as some have suggested they can work out a deal. I have never heard of that being done though.

Although not common, deals to keep Rule 5 draftees have occurred. A quick check of the last four years show five deals like this:

2010 - Scott Diamond drafted from ATL by MIN. He was kept by trading ATL Billy Bullock.

2009 - Sen Snyder drafted from SF by BAL, who flipped him to TEX. TEX kept him by giving SF Edwin Escobar.

2009 - Chuck Lofgren drafted from CLE to MIL. MIL kept him by trading CLE Omar Aguilar.

2008 - Jason Jones drafted from NYY by MIN. Min kept him by sending Charles Nolte to NYY.

2007 - Evan Meek was drafted from TB by PIT. Pit kept him by giving TB cash.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There have been questions in numerous threads about the number of remaining options for various Oriole players. I thought it might be helpful to put this info into one thread and keep it updated. A player in bold indicates the number of options has been updated to include moves made for the 2012 season.

Three Options Remaining:

Drake

Wieters

Chen

Arrieta

Wada

Flaherty

D. Bundy

Two Options Remaining:

Mahoney

Matusz

Jones

Britton

Berken

One Option Remaining:

Tillman

Phillips

Bergesen

O'Day

Antonelli

Adams

No Options Remaining:

Davis

Reimold

Miller

Teagarden

Hunter

Hammel

Patton

Eveland

Johnson

Simon

Strop** (some folks argue he may have a fourth option, which can still be used)

Bell

Need player Permission to Option:

Hardy

Reynolds

Markakis

Chavez

Roberts

Betemit

Lindstrom

Ayala

Gregg

I think Flaherty must remain on the 25 man roster this year.
True. But, if he sticks for the full year, after this season, he can be optioned three times.
Although not common, deals to keep Rule 5 draftees have occurred. A quick check of the last four years show five deals like this:

2010 - Scott Diamond drafted from ATL by MIN. He was kept by trading ATL Billy Bullock.

2009 - Sen Snyder drafted from SF by BAL, who flipped him to TEX. TEX kept him by giving SF Edwin Escobar.

2009 - Chuck Lofgren drafted from CLE to MIL. MIL kept him by trading CLE Omar Aguilar.

2008 - Jason Jones drafted from NYY by MIN. Min kept him by sending Charles Nolte to NYY.

2007 - Evan Meek was drafted from TB by PIT. Pit kept him by giving TB cash.

Thx for the info.

I wrote a question to the O's about Strop. They said he has used 3 options and he has spent 5 years in the minors because the had more then 90 days of services in 2005. This means that the service time on Baseballreference.com is wrong for 2005. The answer came for the O's Communication Department. Believe it or not. Its up to you.

Bell in on his last option this year. He can go up and down to the minors as many times as the O's want throughout the 2012.

I wrote a question to the O's about Strop. They said he has used 3 options and he has spent 5 years in the minors because the had more then 90 days of services in 2005. This means that the service time on Baseballreference.com is wrong for 2005. The answer came for the O's Communication Department. Believe it or not. Its up to you.

Bell in on his last option this year. He can go up and down to the minors as many times as the O's want throughout the 2012.

If Bell sees the inside of OPACY again it will be too soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated the OP to reflect the optioning of Berken, Bergesen, and Antonelli. Again, the option can be used throughout the year, but it's one less that they have in future years (zero for Bergesen and Antonelli starting next year).

I've made the final updates for the start of the season. The O's just burned the last option Phillips had, next season he will not have any. Nick Johnson and Ronnie Paulino were added to the 40-man roster, both veterans would have to give their permission to be optioned.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a note:

There is a big difference between:

Davis

Reimold

Andino

Teagarden

Hammel

Patton

Johnson

Strop

who can not be optioned to the minors in 2012 because they are out for option and

Antonelli

Bergesen

Tillman

Phillips

Who can be called up and sent down many times in 2012 because their last option is good for all year.

Just a note:

There is a big difference between:

Davis

Reimold

Andino

Teagarden

Hammel

Patton

Johnson

Strop

who can not be optioned to the minors in 2012 because they are out for option and

Antonelli

Bergesen

Tillman

Phillips

Who can be called up and sent down many times in 2012 because their last option is good for all year.

Yes, that's why O have those last four in bold in the OP. I'll try to reword it to be more clear, thanks for noting that.

Archived