Jason Hammel Today

OFFNY

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That was a gutsy performance to go 6 IP after throwing so many pitches.

It also helped that our batters made Gavin Floyd throw a lot of pitches, which gave Hammel nice rests in between innings, too. :)

FLOYD

Innings: 6

Pitches: 117 (73 Strikes, 44 Balls)

I know most people were against the Guthrie for Hamel and Lindstrom trade. We might have to do a new poll soon.

"We elongated an inning behind him today with the wild pitch, couple other things that got his pitch count up," Showalter said. "There would be a lot of things to dissect in a ballgame like that, but you'll always go back to the guy who pitched six innings and pitched well. I thought he had a little tick above crispness and stuff that he's had in any outing.

"He hasn't given in to the lure of, 'Ah, it's just one of those days.' He keeps battling, and he's in a good place mentally right now. He loves being in Baltimore. He's been a great teammate who's fit in very quickly and I think you're seeing the result of the atmosphere that he's in."

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/04/showalter-and-hammel-speak-after-5-3-win.html

I know most people were against the Guthrie for Hamel and Lindstrom trade. We might have to do a new poll soon.

"We elongated an inning behind him today with the wild pitch, couple other things that got his pitch count up," Showalter said. "There would be a lot of things to dissect in a ballgame like that, but you'll always go back to the guy who pitched six innings and pitched well. I thought he had a little tick above crispness and stuff that he's had in any outing.

"He hasn't given in to the lure of, 'Ah, it's just one of those days.' He keeps battling, and he's in a good place mentally right now. He loves being in Baltimore. He's been a great teammate who's fit in very quickly and I think you're seeing the result of the atmosphere that he's in."

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/04/showalter-and-hammel-speak-after-5-3-win.html

I was definitely one of those people that didn't like the Guthrie trade. I felt that it was pretty much a wash between Guthrie and Hammel with the exception of the unknown of pitching in the AL East. But I didn't like the fact that they were basically giving a spot in the rotation and a spot in the bullpen. If they were not going to open up an extra spot in the rotation, I would have rather kept Guthrie. With that said, you can't argue with a 3-0 team record with him as a starter. He sucked it up and got through the fifth. I give credit to both him and Buck for keeping the bullpen in order. Unfortunately, I haven't seen him pitch yet. Looking forward to his next start.

I was definitely one of those people that didn't like the Guthrie trade. I felt that it was pretty much a wash between Guthrie and Hammel with the exception of the unknown of pitching in the AL East. But I didn't like the fact that they were basically giving a spot in the rotation and a spot in the bullpen. If they were not going to open up an extra spot in the rotation, I would have rather kept Guthrie. With that said, you can't argue with a 3-0 team record with him as a starter. He sucked it up and got through the fifth. I give credit to both him and Buck for keeping the bullpen in order. Unfortunately, I haven't seen him pitch yet. Looking forward to his next start.

Actually, he got through the 6th ;) ......... unless you were referring to his previous start.

HAMMEL'S STARTS BY INNINGS:

1st Start:. 8 Innings

2nd Start: 5 Innings

3rd Start:o6 Innings

Actually, he got through the 6th ;) ...... unless you were referring to his previous start.

HAMMEL'S STARTS BY INNINGS:

1st Start:. 8 Innings

2nd Start: 5 Innings

3rd Start:.6 Innings

Actually, I'm correct. He did get through the fifth. He also got through the sixth, but he got through the fifth too. :)

It's like the late great Mitch Hedberg once said, "I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too."

Actually, I'm correct. He did get through the fifth. He also got through the sixth, but he got through the fifth too. :)

It's like the late great Mitch Hedberg once said, "I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too."

You bastard. :)

10 K's in 6 IP? That's pretty nice. So far he seems a little better than advertised.

He was one of those sabermetric type guys that had strong peripherals but never seemed to get results.

Both his LOB% and his GB% are pretty high right now. And his BABIP agains is about 60 points below his career average for the moment. So there are some signals that this could fall apart quickly on him.

But I wonder how much being in Colorado hurt him. Interestingly enough he's used his fastball less so far this year than he has in his career. Maybe his use of more breaking stuff is keeping guys off his fastball as much. I could see using the fastball too much in Colorado hurting him quite quickly.

He will be an interesting guy to watch in terms of his peripherals and see if he continues to pitch a little bit differently than in the past and what kind of success that might bring.

Archived