Nat's calling up Harper on Sat

Can_of_corn

To be honest, Harper hasn't done enough in AA or AAA to warrant being a "must see" in his debut. Strasburg had a 1.64 ERA in AA and 1.08 in AAA, so there was every expectation that he could be dominant from the get go in the majors (and he was). Harper had a .724 OPS in AA and is at .708 now in AAA. There's no reason at all to think he is going to do anything amazing in his major league debut. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it if he was playing at home.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be honest, Harper hasn't done enough in AA or AAA to warrant being a "must see" in his debut. Strasburg had a 1.64 ERA in AA and 1.08 in AAA, so there was every expectation that he could be dominant from the get go in the majors (and he was). Harper had a .724 OPS in AA and is at .708 now in AAA. There's no reason at all to think he is going to do anything amazing in his major league debut. I wouldn't go out of my way to see it if he was playing at home.

Yeah. I mean, college freshman getting called up. Touted as one of the most exciting prospects of all time.

Forget that! The triple-slash isn't sexy at AA/AAA so no way would I want to see him play NOW!

No offense, but this is crazy talk, Frobby...

I can honestly say: i really care about this call up and I'm living in the middle of Nats central. Not hating on them... Just prefer AL ball and the O's

I don't care because it is the Nats, I care because it is a 19 year old with an incredible ceiling. Honestly I would rather have Trout then Harper (he is getting called up as well).

Yeah. I mean, college freshman getting called up. Touted as one of the most exciting prospects of all time.

Forget that! The triple-slash isn't sexy at AA/AAA so no way would I want to see him play NOW!

No offense, but this is crazy talk, Frobby...

Look, I expect Harper to be a great player eventually. I don't expect him to be a great player NOW. And, there's a huge difference between watching the debut of a pitcher (who is the center of the action whenever he is on the field) with the debut of a position player (who will get maybe 4 AB and a few chances in the field). This simply isn't comparable to Strasburg's debut. I'd argue it's not even as exciting as Wieters' debut, because of what Wieters did in the minors. Harper may well turn out to be a better player than Wieters, maybe even a Hall of Famer, but my expectation for tonight isn't very high. If he gets a hit, that will be a good day for him.

I'm of the opinion that every game Harper plays right now is "must see," not because he's fully developed and ready to tear up MLB, but because he has such an exciting assortment of tools at such a young age that you could see something special at any moment he's at the plate or in the field. It's very rare to see a teenager be so gifted as to be able to hold his own among the best players in the world. I don't have to think he's fully refined or ready for MVP status to be excited about that.

I'm of the opinion that every game Harper plays right now is "must see," not because he's fully developed and ready to tear up MLB, but because he has such an exciting assortment of tools at such a young age that you could see something special at any moment he's at the plate or in the field. It's very rare to see a teenager be so gifted as to be able to hold his own among the best players in the world. I don't have to think he's fully refined or ready for MVP status to be excited about that.

I get where you are coming from. I mean, Harper is the kind of guy who might hit a 500-footer. I just don't think it is likely that there will be anything particularly memorable about his debut game. I will go to four more Nats games this year (two against the Orioles) and if he plays then, great. But I wouldn't be going out of my way to see his debut game.

I was offered tickets to see Strasburg's debut, and had to turn them down because my wife and I had tickets for a concert that night. I still rue that, in a way I won't rue missing Harper's debut.

Now watch him hit that 500-footer in his first AB.

I get where you are coming from. I mean, Harper is the kind of guy who might hit a 500-footer. I just don't think it is likely that there will be anything particularly memorable about his debut game. I will go to four more Nats games this year (two against the Orioles) and if he plays then, great. But I wouldn't be going out of my way to see his debut game.

I was offered tickets to see Strasburg's debut, and had to turn them down because my wife and I had tickets for a concert that night. I still rue that, in a way I won't rue missing Harper's debut.

Now watch him hit that 500-footer in his first AB.

I saw Harper hit his first pro homer in the AFL live a couple of years ago and he was a man among boys out there at 18. I'm excited to see his first MLB game tonight on MLBTV and with SS on the hill, it's just icing on the cake.

Look, I expect Harper to be a great player eventually. I don't expect him to be a great player NOW. And, there's a huge difference between watching the debut of a pitcher (who is the center of the action whenever he is on the field) with the debut of a position player (who will get maybe 4 AB and a few chances in the field). This simply isn't comparable to Strasburg's debut. I'd argue it's not even as exciting as Wieters' debut, because of what Wieters did in the minors. Harper may well turn out to be a better player than Wieters, maybe even a Hall of Famer, but my expectation for tonight isn't very high. If he gets a hit, that will be a good day for him.

I understand that his individual performance on this single day may not be jaw-dropping. I think the draw/excitement is more the idea that begins what COULD be an incredible career for an immensely talented teenager. It's seldom that ANY rookie is expected to come in and, on day one, WOW with his performance. The excitement is the start of a journey that we all hope will thrill us for years.

I understand that his individual performance on this single day may not be jaw-dropping. I think the draw/excitement is more the idea that begins what COULD be an incredible career for an immensely talented teenager. It's seldom that ANY rookie is expected to come in and, on day one, WOW with his performance. The excitement is the start of a journey that we all hope will thrill us for years.

Exactly just as the buzz that surrounds DB for the O's. Davey Johnson is so on the Harper bus - it's amazing!

Well his first hit was a double, and it wasn't a cheap one. I'm not sure why he knocked his own helmet off while running the bases, though.

On the replay it looked like it was slipping off so he got rid of it. What a shot!

Archived