How far is Miggy from a call up?

wildcard

Maybe he reinvents himself as a Wade Boggs-ian 3b, hits a ton of singles and plays good D. The 1996 Yankee squad got 3.4 FWAR out of that type of player at 3B.

Coincidentally, that type of 3B was who Buck had in his 1995 Yankees stint.

At the age of 38 Boggs walked 67 times. That's more often than Miggy walked in 2009, 2010, and 2011 combined. You can get away with a lot of faults if you walk 67 times instead of 17. (Edit: Nigel beat me to it)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the next call up will be Miguel Tejada. He is hitting .364, 12 for 33, with a .436 OBP. But he has only one extra base hit…a double…among those 12 hits. However, he might still be working out some kinks. He does have 7 RBI’s, which indicate he is hitting with RISP....something the O's seem to have a problem doing at the moment. The question is...who goes when Miggy comes up?

I think the next call up will be Miguel Tejada. He is hitting .364, 12 for 33, with a .436 OBP. But he has only one extra base hit…a double…among those 12 hits. However, he might still be working out some kinks. He does have 7 RBI’s, which indicate he is hitting with RISP....something the O's seem to have a problem doing at the moment. The question is...who goes when Miggy comes up?

He slugged .326 in SF last year so he has had those kinks for awhile now.

Roch Kubatko ‏@masnRoch

Miguel Tejada isn't in AAA Norfolk's lineup today. Is he being rested after a night game? Just wondering... #orioles

Its been a long time since we've seen the Roch headline, "Getting Miggy With it" but it might be coming soon.

I like Miggy but i hope he is a long way off from coming to the O's. Sorry but he is past his prime. IMO

If the idea is a Flaherty/Tolleson platoon at 3rd, then I don't want Miggy. If Buck is bound and determined to keep running Betemit out there, then I'd prefer Miggy over Betemit!

If the idea is a Flaherty/Tolleson platoon at 3rd, then I don't want Miggy. If Buck is bound and determined to keep running Betemit out there, then I'd prefer Miggy over Betemit!

The way it's going I think Tolleson may end up in the OF.

Its been a long time since we've seen the Roch headline, "Getting Miggy With it" but it might be coming soon.

I don't see any reason to prefer Tejada to Tolleson. I guess Miggy might be a slight upgrade in the short term over Flaherty. I mean, he's 38, and he's OPS'd .660 over his last 1024 MLB plate appearances. He has two extra base hits in 16 games at Norfolk. He's toast.

I guess a Betemit/Miggy platoon at third wouldn't be the end of the world, but it's been 20 years since rosters were constructed to allow a roster spot for 150-PA third baseman.

I would think that it is not Miggy's lack on power that is keeping him from being called up. I would think it is that the O's have three guys that could come off the 60 day DL in the next month and they will have to DFA'd or trade guys to make room. Promoting 38 year old Miggy just makes that worse.

I would think that it is not Miggy's lack on power that is keeping him from being called up. I would think it is that the O's have three guys that could come off the 60 day DL in the next month and they will have to DFA'd or trade guys to make room. Promoting 38 year old Miggy just makes that worse.

I think it's a combination of lack of 40-man space, his limited defensive abilities and versatility, and the fact he's a 38-year-old who's just not good any more.

I always liked the way he'd shake his bat at the P... and the way he'd chew himself out walking back to the dugout when he didn't get a hit... I know he's too old, just a spare part waiting for an unlikely chance, but I really do like the guy...

Archived