vs. D-RAYS 6/03

OFFNY

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The way they are handling him now has everything to do with his innings cap.

They have a financial interest in aggressively promoting Bundy.

It is a generally sound bet to assume teams will do what is in their best interest financially.

You think they are going to ask for 140+ innings from him next year at the big leagues. You can't control his innings in a win at all cost environment, Baltimore isn't AAA.

They want this kid to be his best for as long as possible.

They can control his innings early in the year and then promote him if the need arises.

You don't think that till the end of this season is enough rope?

Matusz had an ERA of 10 last year and was a starter this year, granted his 2010 was solid. Worst case he is in the mix for a 5th starter slot, like I said he we get somebody better, great.

You think they are going to ask for 140+ innings from him next year at the big leagues. You can't control his innings in a win at all cost environment, Baltimore isn't AAA.

They want this kid to be his best for as long as possible.

They can control his innings early in the year and then promote him if the need arises.

125 this season should translate to 155 next season. They baby him for a month or two in AAA then promote him. It is very doable.

Well, as you said, show me a better pitcher in the organization. At least three of our starters are big questionmarks right now as far as I'm concerned; any one of them could pretty much head into a 2011 Matusz-esque slump at any time (including Matusz himself; a half dozen solid starts is not enough to convince me that he's going to stabilize.)

We need arms, and we don't have a NYY or TEX or BOS budget to buy our way to a championship rotation. We need to use who we've got. If that means being slightly aggressive with Bundy, so be it. (Not that I would want him to go out there and get steamrolled and lose his confidence, but a little early might not be a deal-breaker. And a lot of folks on here have said they are sure Dylan will be in the rotation at some time next year, even some time before September.)

I didn't say he had no shot at the rotation next year, I just don't think it will be early in the year.

Archived