vs. PIRATES 6/12

OFFNY

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's done decent mop-up work this year to save the other relievers from being overworked, but you don't need to pay someone $4mil for that.

Even that's not accurate, although I believe that it is being generous and kind to Gregg. Buck has done everything that he possibly can to avoid using Gregg for almost 2 months now. I think it's clear that Buck doesn't even want him in the mop-up role ........ he's not out there saving innings for other relievers. He's out there either because Buck has used up all of his other available relievers and there is no one else to go to, or if Buck hasn't used him at all in a week or so, and he almost has to put him in there for an inning or 2.

Even that's not accurate, although I believe that it is being generous and kind to Gregg. Buck has done everything that he possibly can to avoid using Gregg for almost 2 months now. I think it's clear that Buck doesn't even want him in the mop-up role ........ he's not out there saving innings for other relievers. He's out there either because Buck has used up all of his other available relievers and there is no one else to go to, or if Buck hasn't used him at all in a week or so, and he almost has to put him in there for an inning or 2.

Gregg has been okay this year. He was carrying a mid-3's ERA. He had a bad outing, it didn't lose the game for us, relax...

Gregg has been okay this year. He was carrying a mid-3's ERA. He had a bad outing, it didn't lose the game for us, relax...

I am relaxed. Gregg has not been OK this year. If he had been, he wouldn't be where he is. There's a reason why he is in the situation that he's in, which is pitching only in meaningless situations, and/or when there is no alternative, other than Chris Davis. ERA is one marker for a pitcher, but it doesn't tell the whole story, and in this particular case, it hardly does at all. He was horrible last year, and he picked up where he left off to start this year, which is why he he's been in the doghouse for most of this young season so far.

I had to miss most of the game (shopping night), but I went back and perused good chunks of the game, since I recorded it. Very pleased with Roberts' performance, and Chen did pretty well before fading in the 7th. Gregg made it too interesting; would have liked to see Johnson not have to get the save. Dug the postgame comments from Showalter and Roberts. Nice balance of run manufacture and home runs. Great play by Flaherty in the 7th. Other stuff too but we all get the gist.

'Twas the homecoming

Roberts kicks ass and takes names

But forgets the pie

Archived