vs. NATIONALS 6/22

OFFNY

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quick minipoll: Leave Hammel in or bring on JJ? I say the latter.

It's 2012. Pitchers that go 7 innings are lauded for their endurance. 8 innings is incredible. 9 is RARELY heard of. You bring in a fresh pitcher who's a lights-out guy... JJ is exactly who we need to get 3 outs in a very close game, unless someone salamis in the bottom of the 8th.

EDIT: My bottom line is that playing for a complete game is more likely to backfire than it is to help. You end up overextending one athlete in order to save another from having to play that night, rather than distributing the load. Over the long run that ends up hurting the guy who has to do the extra work. Especially considering Hammel's bum knee.

You don't want to play this game for silly stats like complete games. You play to win and you play in a way that gives the highest probability of everyone staying healthy. Share the innings.

Why do you ask? Were there some on view?

An ad for something with no name that said, "Join Now!", with five pictures of what at first I thought was the same girl. You know, kinda like when we see all those ads for "Russian Love Match." (Except I know they're different.) :laughlol:

An ad for something with no name that said, "Join Now!", with five pictures of what at first I thought was the same girl. You know, kinda like when we see all those ads for "Russian Love Match." (Except I know they're different.) :laughlol:

Probably based on your browsing/search history.

Awkward.

:D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• 100% completely agreed!   I can usually start watching the game around dinner time.  We do have a strict no TV rule with the kids during dinner time, however, the Oriole games are the only exception.  It's not really watching, more like listening.  We'll usually turn our heads when we hear KB getting excited. By the time everything is cleaned up and the kids ready for bed - the game is usually in the 3rd frame (7/8/9) innings. Well done MLB and Orioles.
    • After his last rehab start I see Means being activated. I have more faith in Irvin than him though and hope Means starts out in the bullpen. 
    • I still am somewhat in disbelief that Major League Baseball saw an obvious problem, recognized this as a problem, stopped the nonsense of trying to convince everyone that a bug was actually a feature, and then implemented a straightforward and effective solution.  For my entire life MLB had a terrible habit of trying to sell problems as benefits, often to placate what they saw as traditionalists and older fans who wouldn't like any changes to the game at all. With game times they basically said enough, we're implementing a pitch clock, if you don't like it, sorry. And the results have been wonderful. A baseball game now typically ends before a normal, working (or school-attending) person's bedtime. A baseball game isn't much different in length than a basketball or hockey game or soccer match. It's the length it was, more-or-less, for most of history. Baseball is a normal sport again, not a marathon where half the audience falls asleep in the 7th inning, or just gives up because they have to go to work in six hours.
    • Perhaps you missed "haven't seen one person suggest that it makes every single final decision on anything." I've always said I thought Hyde runs whatever the computer spits out as his lineup barring sickness or injury that need to be taken into consideration. That doesn't mean I think SIGBOT makes all the decisions during the game or roster moves, trades, etc.
    • This is my daily routine, after dinner, baths, putting the kids to bed, and finally sitting down around 9pm or so...
    • It’s as realistic as April 31st.
    • Besides going from AAA to the majors, going from the complex leagues to low A is the biggest jump in baseball.  Patience.
  • Popular Contributors