Jake Arrieta needs a one-way ticket to Norfolk

oriolefan1035

We talk about Jake's stuff all the time, and while he flashes a plus-FB and a plus-curve, his numbers don't suggest that it's nearly as good as we believe it is. His SwSt% is solidly below-average, and his component parts (pitch-values, plate discipline, etc.) don't show him to be improved much this year, while his LD% suggests a serious decline in pitch quality (whether by location or movement). In other words, his FIPish estimation is built in some large part around a solid K-rate and a terrible LOB%. This is increasingly thin reasoning, given the fact that his peripherals are drifting toward his results.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We talk about Jake's stuff all the time, and while he flashes a plus-FB and a plus-curve, his numbers don't suggest that it's nearly as good as we believe it is. His SwSt% is solidly below-average, and his component parts (pitch-values, plate discipline, etc.) don't show him to be improved much this year, while his LD% suggests a serious decline in pitch quality (whether by location or movement). In other words, his FIPish estimation is built in some large part around a solid K-rate and a terrible LOB%. This is increasingly thin reasoning, given the fact that his peripherals are drifting toward his results.

Right. He's broken to the point that he cannot execute his pitches, so his supposedly plus stuff simply isn't so.

Buck had steam coming out of his ears from the second inning on. He stared at Jake when he came off the mound in the second inning. He was pacing around all during the 4th inning. At one point, he opened the little door that covers the bullpen phone so that Arrieta could see it. He went to the mound and barked at Arrieta. When he came out to pull him, he didn't say a word, just smacked Arrieta on the butt. I've never seen him that mad at one of his own players during a game.

Wieters was also furious during the second inning. He made a couple of throws back to Arrieta that were thrown so hard they nearly took Arrieta's arm off when he caught them.

Why were they mad? Just because he wasn't pitching well? Did Jake say/do something?

Why were they mad? Just because he wasn't pitching well? Did Jake say/do something?

He just seemed intent on handing back any lead he was given. With a 3 or 4 run lead the last thing you want to do is walk guys or fall behind in counts, yet Arrieta was doing so repeatedly. He is staked to a lead in the 1st, and he gives it right back. He gets a 3-run lead in the 2nd, and he walks the leadoff hitter and then walks the next batter on four pitches, none close to the plate, and they both score. The lead goes up to 4 runs in the 4th, and he immediately walks the leadoff hitter again. Plus, there were several times where Jake got ahead in the count and couldn't finish a batter off. He had Callaspo 0-2 leading off the second and walked him. He had Callaspo 1-2 leading off the 4th and walked him again. He had Kendrick 0-2 right after, then threw 3 balls and threw a meatball that Kendrick hit for a hard single. He had Aybar down 1-2 then allowed a double. After striking out Hester (yay!), he had Trout down 0-2, allowed a screaming liner that went a little foul, then another screaming liner that fortunately was hit right at Jones for a sac fly but couldn't have been it any harder. It's hard to describe what this game was like to watch, but it was awful.

I think it was frustration with him not throwing strikes. He was handed a lead and proceeded to walk the first two hitters in the next inning.

Yeah, it was pretty painful yesterday. I think I'd rather watch Tommy Hunter throw batting practice.

Buck had steam coming out of his ears from the second inning on. He stared at Jake when he came off the mound in the second inning. He was pacing around all during the 4th inning. At one point, he opened the little door that covers the bullpen phone so that Arrieta could see it. He went to the mound and barked at Arrieta. When he came out to pull him, he didn't say a word, just smacked Arrieta on the butt. I've never seen him that mad at one of his own players during a game.

Wieters was also furious during the second inning. He made a couple of throws back to Arrieta that were thrown so hard they nearly took Arrieta's arm off when he caught them.

I saw all of that. Unfortunately, it didn't help Arrieta at all. Arrieta is the kind of guy who always thinking about the last pitch or the last result. When I talked to him a few weeks ago he admitted as much. He knows he needs to be better and I think it needs to start in between his ears first. He needs to mature out of what worrying about what just happened or expecting the worse. He's got all the talent needed to be really good, but he's just not there yet. Hopefully Peterson can get through to him at AAA.

Buck had steam coming out of his ears from the second inning on. He went to the mound and barked at Arrieta. When he came out to pull him, he didn't say a word, just smacked Arrieta on the butt. I've never seen him that mad at one of his own players during a game.

A great moment was caught on the Angels broadcast. When Buck came out to chew on Arrieta in the 4th all the infields started to jog towards the mound thinking it was a typical visit, then all four stopped at the same time and slowly turned back to their positions when they realized this would not be the typical mound meeting.

Buck had steam coming out of his ears from the second inning on. He went to the mound and barked at Arrieta. When he came out to pull him, he didn't say a word, just smacked Arrieta on the butt. I've never seen him that mad at one of his own players during a game.

A great moment was caught on the Angels broadcast. When Buck came out to chew on Arrieta in the 4th all the infields started to jog towards the mound thinking it was a typical visit, then all four stopped at the same time and slowly turned back to their positions when they realized this would not be the typical mound meeting.

I need gifs of all of this. :clap3:

Archived