Matzusaka officially given permission...

Sports Guy

Sort of, but the problem would still be solved if MLB cut their territorial zones down to a reasonable driving distance. Then I could watch the O's on Extra Innings.

Of course you understand that MASN would not want that to happen.

And what's bad for MASN is bad for the Orioles.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Stupid why?

Are you saying it's stupid to have territories in the first place, or stupid to extend them beyond US boundaries?

I think this has adequately been answered by many people, but I have more.

1. The international boundaries are the most stupid thing ever. It restricts the growth of the MLB market by making those markets nearly impossible to enter for new teams.

2. The local territories are also stupid, but are historically based in pragmatism since there were once very limited broadcast resources.

3. MLB is terrible at dealing with change so these stupid territories and arcane blackout rules have not been updated to mesh well with 1980's technology let alone what we have today.

MLB should be providing an infrastructure for all teams to be able to sell there product to anyone in the world willing to pay for it. This is becoming more and more possible as the world communication backbone grows. Due away with stupid territories and let fans watch whomever they want whenever they want and share the revenues. As for local broadcasting rights, the fans don't really care what corporation is responsible for the broadcast, so long as you get a broadcast. Do the deal any way it needs to get done, but this should be transparent to the fans. Furthermore, who cares if it hurts attendance, the TV revenues should out way the take at the gate every time. If anything, more TV audience should increase revenue because it increases interest in the team to a wider range of viewers.

This rant could go on...

• 2 weeks later...
But where is it that Matsuzaka himself would like to land? Baseball sources say that if he could choose, he'd come to Seattle to play. The reasons are twofold -- center fielder Ichiro Suzuki and catcher Kenji Johjima.

Matsuzaka, associates say, has long wanted to play with Ichiro, something that both men experienced in the World Baseball Classic last spring. Team Japan won the tournament with Matsuzaka winning the Most Valuable Player award and Ichiro serving as mentor to the younger men on the team.

And Matsuzaka and Johjima spent time as teammates at the 2004 Athens Olympics.

Source - Seattle P-I

Archived