O's are dealing with a "physical issue" on team that could lead to DL move

Greg

per Roch: "Apparently, the Orioles won't have two left-handers in their bullpen.

Patton is expected to go on the disabled list after rolling his ankle last night.

He has put together 17 consecutive scoreless appearances to lower his ERA to 2.58.

Meanwhile, Zach Britton allowed three hits and six runs (all earned) in 3 2/3 innings in his first outing at Triple-A Norfolk since being optioned after last Tuesday night's game. He threw 81 pitches, 40 for strikes, with two wild pitches and four walks.

The Orioles need a starter for Saturday, and if Britton gets the call-up, he would be working on normal rest."

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JMO, I think Steve Johnson gets the call. He can start Saturday. It's close enough to his day. Come up tomorrow and be the emergency long man for a couple days. If he gets used you bring up Britton. If he doesn't get used Johnson starts. This DL is the ONLY way Johnson is eligible to start Saturday.

JMO, I think Steve Johnson gets the call. He can start Saturday. It's close enough to his day. Come up tomorrow and be the emergency long man for a couple days. If he gets used you bring up Britton. If he doesn't get used Johnson starts. This DL is the ONLY way Johnson is eligible to start Saturday.
If Johnsom starts tomorrow he can start again on Sun. No need for another call up.

If Johnsom starts tomorrow he can start again on Sun. No need for another call up.

Starts tomorrow where? In the Land of Pleasant Living?

That makes sense. I'm assuming Johnson hasn't started anywhere since his O's starting debut...

Pitch tomorrow (today :P ) , push the WHOLE rotation back a day. So we got THAT going for us. Which is nice.

Starts tomorrow where? In the Land of Pleasant Living?

That makes sense. I'm assuming Johnson hasn't started anywhere since his O's starting debut...

Pitch tomorrow (today :P ) , push the WHOLE rotation back a day. So we got THAT going for us. Which is nice.

When I read your posts I hear The Dude talking in my head.

It's about time for MLB to allow expanded rosters of 28. Teams could dress only 25 for a given game. For teams that have a serious injury they could call up someone immediately, for a short term injury like flu, broken fingernail not. This up and down seems ridiculous, especially for the player going back and forth. I believe a lot of "injuries" suddenly crop up based on overused bp and lack of quality starts. I think it would create a better game and more moves within a game, at a minimal cost.

It's about time for MLB to allow expanded rosters of 28. Teams could dress only 25 for a given game. For teams that have a serious injury they could call up someone immediately, for a short term injury like flu, broken fingernail not. This up and down seems ridiculous, especially for the player going back and forth. I believe a lot of "injuries" suddenly crop up based on overused bp and lack of quality starts. I think it would create a better game and more moves within a game, at a minimal cost.

I agree that it's time for expanded rosters in baseball. I think 26 man rosters would suffice. I think it would keep some guys off the 15 day DL and the owners would probably be more open to paying one extra player the Major League minimum salary.

I agree that it's time for expanded rosters in baseball. I think 26 man rosters would suffice. I think it would keep some guys off the 15 day DL and the owners would probably be more open to paying one extra player the Major League minimum salary.

I believe guys like Arietta, Matusz, Berken, (Bergensen), et al are already at or above the minimum salary. Hence, it wouldn't cost much at all.

per Roch: "Apparently, the Orioles won't have two left-handers in their bullpen.

Patton is expected to go on the disabled list after rolling his ankle last night.

He has put together 17 consecutive scoreless appearances to lower his ERA to 2.58.

Meanwhile, Zach Britton allowed three hits and six runs (all earned) in 3 2/3 innings in his first outing at Triple-A Norfolk since being optioned after last Tuesday night's game. He threw 81 pitches, 40 for strikes, with two wild pitches and four walks.

The Orioles need a starter for Saturday, and if Britton gets the call-up, he would be working on normal rest."

Is that a joke? Britton shouldn't see the majors again this year, and maybe not next year either.

Is that a joke? Britton shouldn't see the majors again this year, and maybe not next year either.

Maybe the Orioles are confident they will win Fri and sun, and are fine with a pitcher that's a sure loss. This is why they needed to get another starter. We have depth at SP alright. Only in the sense that if depth is defined as warm bodies. Britton shouldn't sniff the majors until he can command any pitch. Id have more faith in Dylan Bundy.

My problem with this plan is that it theoretically will allow the 'rich' teams to stock up on even more established, expensive talent. I think 25 is a fine number, and when managed properly, is not a hindrance. Using the AAA team in exactly the manner Duguette has been this year, essentially eliminates the problem anyway.

If anything, just eliminate (or shorten) the 10-day period between going down and coming back up. This would put even more value on younger, 'under team control' players with options, theoretically. W/O players of that ilk, the shuffling we are talking about can't happen anyway (hence the loss of a guy like Pearce, or Bergesen).

You could also increase the 40 man roster by a few players to help w/ this I suppose....

Archived