Vs. Rays 10/1

waroriole

• Replies 973
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't consider myself to have a lot of baseball smarts. In fact I'm dead wrong more often than not. But as soon as I saw Chen take the mound for the 7th, I immediately knew that doing so was, at best, an extremely risky gamble considering how much his performance has fallen off in the stretch.

The unfolding events increased my certainty with each pitch that any sane manager in the majors would pull Chen, leading up to the break-open base hit. But it didn't happen.

For someone who has more baseball wisdom and/or experience than me, is there any way that you can justify what Buck did, leaving Chen in as long as he did, on some rational basis? Or was he literally just too stubborn to see the elephant in the room (namely, that Chen was out of gas)?

It just seems like common sense from here. Maybe someone with as many games as Buck takes on an approach that defies common sense and it pays dividends over time. What would such an approach look like, and how in the world can it be said that such approach is more appropriate than just giving a struggling pitcher the hook in a game that could very well decide the division title?

I'm not trying to be snarky. I want answers. I want explanations. I want to know what in God's name was going through Buck's mind when he kept Chen in, and in, and in, and in, as he watched the game slip away?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Archived