Scoreboard Watching Game Thread: 10/02

OFFNY

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bobby also pulled a lefty reliever to bring in their terrible righty "closer" to start the ninth. Despite a lefty-heavy Yankee lineup due in the 9th. Because, you know, closers are awesome and have magic fairy dust that lets them pitch the 9th despite stuff like awful past performances and counter-productive matchups.

Bad teams are bad for a multitude of reasons. That being said... I am bewildered at the string of mismanagement that blew the game for Boston yesterday. It's almost as if Valentine had no intention of winning that game.

If I were the GM and intended to fire him this off season, I would fire him now on principle. I don't want a manager who phones it in, ever.

Bad teams are bad for a multitude of reasons. That being said... I am bewildered at the string of mismanagement that blew the game for Boston yesterday. It's almost as if Valentine had no intention of winning that game.

If I were the GM and intended to fire him this off season, I would fire him now on principle. I don't want a manager who phones it in, ever.

I 80% agree he did not. But then there's that 30% that says, well he did take him out after he had the basesloaded. If he was trying to blow the game, he would have left him in there. Or maybe he's been crafty in his "trying to blow the game".

Bobby also pulled a lefty reliever to bring in their terrible righty "closer" to start the ninth. Despite a lefty-heavy Yankee lineup due in the 9th. Because, you know, closers are awesome and have magic fairy dust that lets them pitch the 9th despite stuff like awful past performances and counter-productive matchups.

I was in the middle of texting my buddy with the line, "and he brings in Andrew Bailey, who has never retired a left-handed batter in his....." When Ibanez tied the game. Who didn't see that coming?

I 80% agree he did not. But then there's that 30% that says, well he did take him out after he had the basesloaded. If he was trying to blow the game, he would have left him in there. Or maybe he's been crafty in his "trying to blow the game".

err..edit 20%

How do you leave a wounded Saltalamacchia on base in OT? Do they seriously not have anyone in the dugout who can outrun a healthy Salty, let alone a lame Salty? To prevent compounding the problem, how do you bring a .109 hitter up to the plate in an attempt to drive Salty home with the go ahead run? Head scratchers.

Podsednik was riding the bench. Would have been the ideal pinch runner but I guess since the lineup is bare of any real hitters, they left him in there. I can't recall the game, but Wieters has been in that type of position before where he was left in the game.

Podsednik was riding the bench. Would have been the ideal pinch runner but I guess since the lineup is bare of any real hitters, they left him in there. I can't recall the game, but Wieters has been in that type of position before where he was left in the game.

I think Slatty was not going to exit the game. He really seemed to want to win that game.

We've had injured players before that refuse to leave the game because they still feel that hobbling they are the best chance to win. Thought a manager should always be final say.

This Game thread is the first time a "Scoreboard Watching Game Thread" out page viewed the O's game thread for the same day.

Pretty remarkable! I'm guessing a 1-0 game doesn't generate as many posts due to the simple fact that there's not as much as going on.

Plus, the Yankee-Red Sox game went into extras, which certainly helped add some posts.

Someone please tell me I'm not the only person still sick to my stomach from last night's Red Sox/Yankees game. Bobby V's decision to bring in Bailey and his 6era to close out a game against the Yankees is still giving me headaches. With everything that is on the line for the O's; if the O's don't get past the first play in playoff game this loss will sting me for the rest of my life. I'm going to overreact and say it was one of the worst decisions in baseball history since it had direct impact on the O's.

I really got into baseball in 97'; this is the first winning season I have truly experienced and I would hate for the O's to not play game 163 vs. the Yankees.

Kuroda vs. Dice-K tonight, that's like a sumo wrestler picking a fight with the high school kid who hands out food samples at the market.

Somewhat of a rant, please excuse me. I've truly enjoyed the season but last night Bobby V's decision has been magnified by a 1000x and right now I can't let it go.

Pretty remarkable! I'm guessing a 1-0 game doesn't generate as many posts due to the simple fact that there's not as much as going on.

Plus, the Yankee-Red Sox game went into extras, which certainly helped add some posts.

Plus it was a fairly important game, but yes, those two factors you mentioned certainly were the main two factors. Either way, kinda cool and could be a one time event.

Archived