Scoreboard Watching Game Thread: 10/02

OFFNY

Could it pierce Arod's brain? Or if a smaller brain is necessary, Ibanez'?

Yes. But human beings are capable of accelerating small metal fragments to speeds necessary for that, too. Not that I think that doing so would be a particularly wise idea. I don't wish for players to get hurt, or assaulted. But yes, there is a minuscule chance (less than the chance of being struck by lightning) of something like that occurring. Maybe if you were sitting underneath the hole in the ozone layer during a meteor shower, on the top of a mountain (remember: the more air the meteorite has to go through, the more it burns, because it travels at a velocity that ignites oxygen by the heat generated by friction, so greater distance traveled continuously shrinks its size and makes it less dangerous.)

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Miller i believe was originally drafted by the Tigers and pitched in the postseason when they made it to the World Series. I could be wrong, but he has starter stuff coming out of the bullpen.

I think he was part of that trade that got the Tigers- Miguel Cabrera and Dontrelle Wilis.

Miller i believe was originally drafted by the Tigers and pitched in the postseason when they made it to the World Series. I could be wrong, but he has starter stuff coming out of the bullpen.

He was part of the Miguel Cabrera trade between Detroit and Florida.

FYI, any asteroid large enough to survive the entry into Earth's atmosphere and then destroy Yankee Stadium would probably also be large enough to take out everything from New York to Maryland, or worse.

The asteroids that are just right-sized enough to destroy the stadium would burn up entirely in the atmosphere, or would burn up into little pea-sized fragments and wouldn't pose a threat to anything larger than an insect. The atmosphere is why you don't hear stories of asteroids hitting that level buildings or take out a city block. Anything that big would likely be REAL big -- apocalyptic.

This doesn't seem right to me. Logically and mathematically speaking, there's a perfect sized asteroid that would be just big enough that the atmosphere burned it up just enough that it would be big enough to destroy the stadium and nothing more. It doesn't make sense that there are two types of asteroids: ones that get burned up and then ones that obliterate the planet. There's definitely a middle ground.

Here's one for example: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunguska_event

That one would have obviously destroyed more than just a stadium, but it's also far from apocalyptic. Something a little smaller than that is definitely possible.

Archived