Tillman to start 162

Can_of_corn

I think we're lining up to get Darvish if its the Rangers or Straily if its the A's. I'm not sure which I'd rather see.

I wouldn't care if it were Tillman, Hammel, Gonzalez, or Chen. Everything will ride on a Joe Saunders start. I'm not comfortable with that when they could hold Tillman back.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anderson will pitch for the A's friday, I am pretty sure they said this already. But with Matsuzaka pitching for the Sox I think thats a no doubt yankee win, but we will see.

This is what I read of the situation...

"LHP Brett Anderson took a big step toward being a playoff possibility for Oakland. He threw a 50-pitch bullpen session at the Coliseum on Monday, and he said that it went well and he feels good.

The real test will come Tuesday, when Anderson sees how well he feels following the throwing session. He hasn't pitched for the A's since he strained his right oblique muscle Sept. 19, and as manager Bob Melvin noted, Anderson had a max-effort session Monday.

Anderson also is scheduled for an abbreviated bullpen session Wednesday, which would put him in line to Oakland's first playoff game. The A's likely will play a wild-card game Friday, although they remain in the running in the AL West, one game behind the Rangers with two head-to-head games against Texas remaining.

Melvin said that if Anderson comes out of all his throwing work well, the lefty could be an option in the postseason. The team will want to be assured that Anderson is completely sound physically and that he feels comfortable making a start."

Friday is Tommy Milone's turn to start, and Jarrod Parker would be on turn for Saturday.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/teams/oak/report

I wouldn't care if it were Tillman, Hammel, Gonzalez, or Chen. Everything will ride on a Joe Saunders start. I'm not comfortable with that when they could hold Tillman back.

I don't like depending on Saunders either. It's a tough call either way.

I think this is completely the wrong decision. I don't think Saunders should be pitching the WC. Saunders made it through a very, very weak BoSox lineup giving up 2 no-doubt-about-it HRs, multiple other xbhs and generous baserunning outs.

I want Tillman on the mound for the first playoff game. He has earned that privilege and he is a significantly better pitcher than Saunders.

I'm in your camp. Play the probabilities. Even if the O's lose and New York loses, then the O's have a better pitcher going in an elimination game. The WC is guaranteed and is far more important than chasing a false hope.

Correct call. Saunders will be available to start the post-season.

That's exactly why I think this is the wrong call. Saunders is a fine back end starter who pitches ok and keeps you in the game most of the time. That's not good enough in a one-game playoff situation. But he'll be the last man standing on Friday night.

For people who don't want Tillman starting tomorrow, who would you start instead?

I'm not against Tillman starting tomorrow. But if he wasn't, I'd do a bullpen game with Hunter starting. Ask him to give you 3-4 innings. Turn it over to Matusz, Arrieta, and Patton. Fortunately Tampa's offense is light.

I think we're lining up to get Darvish if its the Rangers or Straily if its the A's. I'm not sure which I'd rather see.

We've missed Darvish each time we've played TEX this season, haven't we? I don't want to see him. He'll end up getting 20 K's against us.

No offense, but I think some of you are being very short sighted. You don't care how tough of a situation the team is being put in just as long as you get to see one playoff game in Camden Yards. We have waited 14 years for this, don't you want it to last a bit longer than 1 game? One game is all it will last if you put Saunders on the mound against Darvish and the Rangers.

Not short-sighted at all. I'm thinking of the parks in which they'd potentially be playing. The Orioles' offense is simply not constructed to win in a park like the Coliseum. Beane has assembled a pitching staff that is built to win there. The Orioles have a history of playing poorly in Oakland. I don't want the Wild Card game being played in that stadium. If the game does go to Oakland, at least Saunders has a history of success there and experience in the playoffs. Overall, I think it makes the most sense to try to win tomorrow and bring the wild card home, with an outside shot of playing for the division.

I will acknowledge that the unfriendly scenario of the Orioles losing tomorrow and Oakland sweeping sends Baltimore to Texas with Saunders pitching if Tillman goes tomorrow. That's not ideal at all. It's definitely a tough call. But I have faith in Tillman winning and I'd agree with Buck sending him out tomorrow.

For people who don't want Tillman starting tomorrow, who would you start instead?

I was just thinking this. I don't know who else could go. Buck would have to send out Arrieta/Britton/Hunter but I don't see that happening. I'm not thrilled about Saunders starting in a one and done playoff game at all but what else can you do? Buck wants a guaranteed home game and so do I.

Archived