Every time I watch Posey hit...

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean I think he's been a bust offensively. When you compare what he's done (.750) to what he was capable of (Posey OPSd .957 this year!) I don't see how you can't.

Then again, it's entirely possible people have different definitions of what constitutes a "bust." Unfortunately for Wieters, his expectations will always be held against him, in my eyes at least.

I don't think you can describe Wieters as "pretty lousy with the bat." The average OPS for an AL catcher this year was .707. Last year, .693. Wieters was at .764 (107 OPS+) and .778 (110 OPS+). He led AL catchers in RBI this year and was tied for second in HR. He is well above average offensively for a catcher, and in fact he is somewhat above average for all players regardless of position. And, of course, he is a stud defensively.

Now, that said, would I trade Wieters straight up for Posey, sacrificing some defense to get a stud offensive player? Yes, I would. But I'm not sure Buck would.

I don't think you can describe Wieters as "pretty lousy with the bat." The average OPS for an AL catcher this year was .707. Last year, .693. Wieters was at .764 (107 OPS+) and .778 (110 OPS+). He led AL catchers in RBI this year and was tied for second in HR. He is well above average offensively for a catcher, and in fact he is somewhat above average for all players regardless of position. And, of course, he is a stud defensively.

Now, that said, would I trade Wieters straight up for Posey, sacrificing some defense to get a stud offensive player? Yes, I would. But I'm not sure Buck would.

I don't really care how he compares to other catchers, I care about the numbers he was supposed to put up versus the numbers he is putting up. And yes I realize that this goes against the main premise of this thread (comparing him to Posey) but Posey's grand slam is what inspired the thread.

I don't think people would be disappointed if he hadn't been given the unfortunate label of "Joe Mauer with Power". I know some people thought that meant we were getting the Albert Pujols of catchers.

Matt has been great. It's a shame he had all that hype going in.

I think about what could (should) have been with Wieters.

Instead we got a catcher who is pretty lousy with the bat who gets his defense raved about (and he's legitimately great defensively, no argument) as a crutch to make up for his liability on offense.

Sigh....

Become a Giants fan then. Go for it.

I'll take Matt with all of his "warts". My point is this...this is a team, I like this group of guys we have. I like Wieters as the Orioles catcher. Are there better catchers? I suppose...are there better center fielders than Adam Jones? Yeah...but I don't want to trade Adam for a better center fielder because I like Adam Jones, I have an attachment to him. I really don't want a roster of superstars...but that's me. I love what Wieters brings to the Orioles and I'm more than happy we have him.

I really thought the exact same thing when Posey hit that slam today....you mean a highly touted catcher CAN HIT ALSO???? Its not like Posey was drafted no. 1 or anything. Giants probably got lucky with him, just like the Cardinals got lucky with Freese and Craig (both drafted somewhere around the 8th and 9th rounds).

I mean I think he's been a bust offensively. When you compare what he's done (.750) to what he was capable of (Posey OPSd .957 this year!) I don't see how you can't.

Then again, it's entirely possible people have different definitions of what constitutes a "bust." Unfortunately for Wieters, his expectations will always be held against him, in my eyes at least.

Trust me, I get where you're coming from. Think about where this team would be this year if he even approached being as good offensively as he was hyped.

Become a Giants fan then. Go for it.

I'll take Matt with all of his "warts". My point is this...this is a team, I like this group of guys we have. I like Wieters as the Orioles catcher. Are there better catchers? I suppose...are there better center fielders than Adam Jones? Yeah...but I don't want to trade Adam for a better center fielder because I like Adam Jones, I have an attachment to him. I really don't want a roster of superstars...but that's me. I love what Wieters brings to the Orioles and I'm more than happy we have him.

What a clown statement. I think Joey Votto is better than Mark Reynolds. Should I also become a Reds' fan?:rolleyes:

I really thought the exact same thing when Posey hit that slam today....you mean a highly touted catcher CAN HIT ALSO???? Its not like Posey was drafted no. 1 or anything. Giants probably got lucky with him, just like the Cardinals got lucky with Freese and Craig (both drafted somewhere around the 8th and 9th rounds).

Don't forget the Cards have Yadier Molina, also better than our guy.

Posey was drafted 5th overall, just like Wieters.

Shame about that shattered led and all. Over two years, he OPSs .479 I agree. right now, Posey is a far superior offensive force. And he did not lead a team with no real starting pitchers to a 93 win season either.

Posey was drafted 5th overall, just like Wieters.

Didn't realize he was drafted that high....my mistake. As for Yadier Molina, he is an interesting case because in normal non-pressure situations, he is pretty average to below average over his career. But when it really counts, he is impossible to get out. Stands up there with a ton of self-confidence....no idea where that comes from.

Archived