The McLouth foul Homerun Call

LookitsPuck

He probably said it because he saw it pass the pole on the foul ball side, which it did, but he didn't know that it skimmed the pole as it went by. I doubt the Orioles did either, to be honest. I'm pretty sure it did though and the home run should have been counted, but it was a really close call.
I think Buck was asking for a replay primarily to make CC wait and hopefully get him out of his rythm. It looks like the ball hit the foul pole to me, but I wouldn't have seen that with the naked eye, and I doubt anyone else did either. Not surprised they didn't over turn it. Not nearly as egregious as the call against TEX in the regular season.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This play and plays like it beg the question, is there any reason why we can't isolate the foul poles from fans, and put sensors on them to detect impacts? It's readily-available, low-maintenance, non-expensive technology.

Or you could remove the poles and use laser sensors to detect the exact breaks in the parallel plane of the wall, say maybe 2-3 feet to each side of the foul line to be safe... but that would really be messing with tradition, and I like technology to enhance the game without changes that are quite that radical.

This play and plays like it beg the question, is there any reason why we can't isolate the foul poles from fans, and put sensors on them to detect impacts? It's readily-available, low-maintenance, non-expensive technology.

Or you could remove the poles and use laser sensors to detect the exact breaks in the parallel plane of the wall, say maybe 2-3 feet to each side of the foul line to be safe... but that would really be messing with tradition, and I like technology to enhance the game without changes that are quite that radical.

What technology do you think you're going to put in a foul pole to detect impacts? The only one that pops up in my head is a seismic/vibration detection system; and I highly doubt there's enough sensitivity at a low price point to detect a ball impact over top of the normal vibration of the crowd/stadium. A laser reflection system might work, but that's not exactly something you go shooting up into the sky, especially around people.

Which pictures? That gif up there looks pretty convincing to me.

convincing? only if you see what you want to see. that gif only proves that there is no way they could overturn the ruling on the field

convincing? only if you see what you want to see. that gif only proves that there is no way they could overturn the ruling on the field

The trajectory of the ball was clearly altered. If it was not from hitting the foul pole then what caused it?

Where did I say that I faulted them for failing to overturn the ruling?

Archived