The McLouth foul Homerun Call

LookitsPuck

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I cannot believe this as I watch the replays. This ball hit the foul pole! I can clearly see it with the zoom instant replay. How could this happen again?!

Like you said. You could "clearly see it with the zoom instant replay." I seriously doubt that's what the umps were looking at. It'd be nice to know WHAT looks they get (like, we pretty much have a good idea that football refs are getting the same shots we do) but I don't think it's ever been said how comprehensive their replay feeds are. As soon as I saw how close it was, and how zoomed and slow you had to view it to see anything to change the call, I knew they'd keep it. The fact that they came out within a minute suggests they had basic views, probably with no zoom like TBS gave the viewers.

This call was no where near as egregious. It sure looks to me like it caromed off but the video is not definitive.

I agree it was too light a deflection for the umps to do a reversal without the Yankees contesting it forever. But do remember that, according to TBS's Sager, a much closer usher said that it definitely hit the pole; at least under Steinbrenner that could have cost the usher his job (not to mention being tarred and feathered by the horde out there) and so I doubt he said it frivolously.

Like you said. You could "clearly see it with the zoom instant replay." I seriously doubt that's what the umps were looking at. It'd be nice to know WHAT looks they get (like, we pretty much have a good idea that football refs are getting the same shots we do) but I don't think it's ever been said how comprehensive their replay feeds are. As soon as I saw how close it was, and how zoomed and slow you had to view it to see anything to change the call, I knew they'd keep it. The fact that they came out within a minute suggests they had basic views, probably with no zoom like TBS gave the viewers.

Per Harold Reynolds, the umpires were able to see all the replays shown by TBS, ikncluding the "zoom" shot, with the exception of the shot from the blimp.

Why did Fred Manfra keep saying "It's a foul ball, it's definitely a foul ball"? That was not the case.

Fred Manfra doesn't have great eyes, and even more, he doesn't have binocular eyes. He probably also didn't have access to replays like we did, and if they were, they were probably rudimentary. And let's face it, a rudimentary view shows the ball going to the right of the pole. You need a better view to be even close to sure that it nicked it.

It sucked, but this was hardly the worst call of all time.

Per Harold Reynolds, the umpires were able to see all the replays shown by TBS, ikncluding the "zoom" shot, with the exception of the shot from the blimp.

I'd like that confirmed more by MLB and/or the officials themselves. If they had all those views, they sure watched them quick.

Well ...Then thats the problem that baseball needs to correct. The foul poles in a baseball stadium are fixed and cameras could easily be placed to make it possible to get the call right. In football when reviewing a play that could happen anywhere on the field is much different. There is no excuse for them not to have the correct angle/camera shot.

Well ...Then thats the problem that baseball needs to correct. The foul poles in a baseball stadium are fixed and cameras could easily be placed to make it possible to get the call right. In football when reviewing a play that could happen anywhere on the field is much different. There is no excuse for them not to have the correct angle/camera shot.

It's a new system, they'll be shaking bugs out for years as new wrinkles they never accounted for pop up. I mean, a ball barely nicking the pole probably never occurred to them. I can't recall ever seeing it that close before. I mean, that's a fraction of inch away from either being an obvious pole hit, or an obvious miss.

I agree it was too light a deflection for the umps to do a reversal without the Yankees contesting it forever. But do remember that, according to TBS's Sager, a much closer usher said that it definitely hit the pole; at least under Steinbrenner that could have cost the usher his job (not to mention being tarred and feathered by the horde out there) and so I doubt he said it frivolously.

I think having the Umps go out and conduct interviews with the Ushers in the area might cause too long a delay.

I cannot believe this as I watch the replays. This ball hit the foul pole! I can clearly see it with the zoom instant replay. How could this happen again?!
BadgemanB+W.jpg

I can clearly see a with a badge and a gun here on this Grassy Knoll, too. :laughlol:

The problem is the Umps just glanced at it and shrugged it off. How is that fair?

You don't know that. You just know they went down, and came out shortly thereafter. I haven't even heard any official word about what they think they saw. I think we got jobbed, but it wasn't nearly as bad of a call as others.

Why did Fred Manfra keep saying "It's a foul ball, it's definitely a foul ball"? That was not the case.
He probably said it because he saw it pass the pole on the foul ball side, which it did, but he didn't know that it skimmed the pole as it went by. I doubt the Orioles did either, to be honest. I'm pretty sure it did though and the home run should have been counted, but it was a really close call.

Archived