The McLouth foul Homerun Call

LookitsPuck

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't think the video showed conclusive evidence. Too hard to tell with all the background colors. Ball changing direction could have been an optical illusion.

Anyhow, no way the umps could have overturned that call with that video evidence.

It was a good call.

From what I saw. I think it Hit the pole.

Just don't think it was clear enough for them to overturn it..

Its pisses me off a little bit. but I understand why the call stood...

Why, does the MLB use football style rules about needing clear evidence to overrule a call on the field?

It hit the foul pole, we got screwed. A lot of things in the game change if we get that call.

After watching the whole game, do I feel like we deserved to win? No, not really. But that skimmed the pole, and things very well would have gone much differently if it had been called a HR.

Its obvious that the ball hit the pole and changed direction from the home plate cam zoom. The umps clearly walked in, saw the LF camera angle and neglected to view other angles, by how quickly they returned to the field. Definitely a home run.

Alright a few things...

1) Thanks for posting the .gif which shows almost-clearly: the ball's path comprised of an original arc-path being replaced by a second arc-path of very similar BUT DIFFERENT angle, coincidentally RIGHT WHEN it passes the pole.

2) I think the best view was from an upper deck camera in right field/foul territory, positioned perpendicular to the foul line, looking right at the pole: Although each frame in this footage had more of a blurred white oval than a distinctive ball, it showed, even more distinctively, we'll even say "clearly" this same two-arc path. If I recall this footage was only shown once or twice about when the umps were reviewing, and conveniently not during any post-game or now highlight reels.

3) Other views: The blimp view if anything also showed this dual-arc although it is the most vague of these three views that do ... the shot from behind home looking down the line is pathetic and you cant get anything from it, only that if it does touch the pole it must be very subtle.

4) If the umps are going to take the time to do a review they damn well better spend enough time for EVERYONE to look at ALL the angles. Clearly if they had seen all views at least someone would of said oh hey it looks like to changed angle slightly. IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW LITTLE of an ANGLE IT CHANGED, ANY CHANGE = HOME RUN.

5) The TBS dude's assessment that "it had no yellow paint on it" is amusing; and if I recall correctly, when all the Yank fans surrounding him were asked if it was fair or foul they collectively said "duuuuuurrrrrrrr YANNNNKEEESSS! <burp>". Also that guy in the box seats who pointed and laughed at McLouth. Yeah I don't like him.

Just my two cents, as everyone's said this call didnt make Batting slots #2-#7 go 1-for-20 last night.

Still a great season. We'll see how much Yankee fans are saying after this CS...

Just my two cents ... I wonder what McLouth's fate is with Nick and Nolan to be healthy for 2013...? Would hate to see any of them go.

The usher said it nicked the pole. Makes me feel like I'm not seeing things. I think it did hit the pole, but not enough for the umps to call it a homer.

Well, the whole ball doesn't have to hit the pole, just enough to touch it for a HR. So, if the umps even see a slight graze of the ball hitting the pole, they should be calling it a HR.

From reading this thread, sounds like some of you are just caught up in the "umps against us" syndrome.

Comments such as the umps only took 5 or 10 seconds to review the play are wrong. Harold Reynolds said they were gone for 55 seconds.

The umps had access to every replay including the zoom in shot (but not the blimp shot).

An "usher" said it hit the pole; therefore the argument is settled.

After the game, even the batter said he thought it was foul. He stopped halfway down the baseline when he saw it tail foul. The umps saw that and it may have helped influence the decision.

After the game Showalter accepted the call and said that the call didn't beat the Orioles.

Outstanding pitching by Sabathia nd a slumping Orioles offense is what beat Baltimore.

Archived